Latest Xbox Dashboard Update Makes Pirates Sad

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Latest Xbox Dashboard Update Makes Pirates Sad

Xbox 360 videogame pirates that recently updated the dashboard will find their illegal abilities sorely reduced.

A major anger independent developers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104876-Major-Xbox-Live-Dashboard-Update-Hits-Tomorrow]. According to new information, Microsoft evidently also included a stealth update that protects the Xbox 360 from piracy.

The update, being referred to as "AP 2.5," apparently locks out copied games from Xbox Live and will stop them from booting up at all. The method of its operation is not yet clear, but AP 2.5 basically involves a new disc check.

If that disc check isn't passed, the console running a pirated disc will be flagged for a ban from Xbox Live. The game itself won't load, and will give the player an "unrecognizable disc" error. Hackers have already determined that Fable III [http://www.amazon.com/Fable-III-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JGDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288892155&sr=8-1] has this AP 2.5 protection, and it'll likely be in all future discs as well. This is said to be the first time that "backup" games have been negated in such a way.

The battle against videogame piracy will never end, but Sony got off a good salvo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104338-Medal-of-Honor-Gets-Head-Shot-on-PS3-Piracy] earlier this year and now Microsoft is doing some damage of its own. If we hear about a large number of Xbox Live bans in the near future, they'll probably be the result of this new piracy defense method.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-kinect-dash-anti-piracy-blog-entry]

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Tankichi said:
I give them 1 month tops to crack it and everything goes back to normal. Also why would you play online if you had a hacked console?
^ this.
People with hacked consoles don't play online because xbox live automatically fucks up their xbox when it detects the mods.
There are a very few exceptions, but for the most part, people with mods on their xboxes don't want to play online even if they could.
I'm guessing it'll take about 2-3 weeks for them to crack it.

9/10, hackers get their way.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Tankichi said:
I give them 1 month tops to crack it and everything goes back to normal. Also why would you play online if you had a hacked console?
Because you want to play multiplayer games online.

This has happened before. I know a guy who got caught back when Mw2 was released and a bunch of people got banned for it. The hardware gets ruined too. Which is a horrible thing because some people will go trade in their consoles and unless they get checked for online capability, some unfortunate sod could end up with it.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
Just a question from a non pirate but is that update legal? I don't remember being informed of this and I thought they had to tell you exactly what is in an update?

Probably wrong but I thought I'd ask.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
For some reason a lot of people on the Fable 3 forum are having problems using their copies even when they're legit and not pirated.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Flamezdudes said:
For some reason a lot of people on the Fable 3 forum are having problems using their copies even when they're legit and not pirated.
Yeah. Go honesty. HAH!

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Anyone want to start a countdown timer until this starts affecting more legitimate people than hackers (probably due to a disc scratch, a random error, people buying used consoles, or something)?

Hopefully, the DRM here won't get worse, but I still don't like this direction right now.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Nerf Ninja said:
Just a question from a non pirate but is that update legal? I don't remember being informed of this and I thought they had to tell you exactly what is in an update?

Did you read the entire terms of agreement?

I don't know if they have to inform you about it by law, but if they do, I'm sure it was mentioned in the terms of agreement.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Nerf Ninja said:

I thought this was in the EULA you have to accept when you first install the update

Darkstar370

Nov 5, 2009
Cool! Another fun obstacle for the hackers to bypass.

Thanks for the entertainment, Microsoft!

Flamezdudes said:
Yet another innocent casualty of the War on Piracy.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Wait, wait, sorry, but how does this work? Is every unreadable disc getting this "flag" or just a pirated one?

'Cause I have discs with scratches and I wouldn't want to be accused of piracy.