iPhone Game Lets You Blast TIE Fighters Over New York

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
iPhone Game Lets You Blast TIE Fighters Over New York

It's like being in the gunner's seat on the Millennium Falcon, without being in the Millennium Falcon.

The concept of augmented reality games - games like incredibly fascinating to me [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104619-Ghostwire-Needs-Help-to-Freak-Out-Your-Kids] for a while now. The biggest barrier, of course, is having the technology to make this sort of thing feasible, which isn't so much of a barrier anymore.

The game you see here is Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Gunner by Vertigore Games, a shooter for the iPhone. The game asks you to shoot down Imperial TIE Fighters a la the famous scene from Star Wars [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38V4YPbF-Dk] - only instead of blasting them from the turret in the Falcon, you're doing it in a parking lot or wherever you are.

"This is a deep shooter," Vertigore CEO Josh Shabtai explained to Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/11/star-wars-arcade-falcon-gunner/]. "You progress through a handful of episodes that are broken down into sublevels, shooting enemies and collecting upgrades," like improved heat shielding on your cannon that means you can maintain continuous fire for longer periods of time.

Honestly, I'm not sure that really matters, because the idea of shooting down TIE Fighters in the skies above your hometown of choice is a really cool one. I imagine the illusion doesn't hold up nearly as well if you're playing it on your couch, though - unless you imagine that they're miniature TIE Fighters piloted by cockroaches or something. Falcon Gunner will also include non-Star Wars settings, but why would you ever want to do that?

If this is where augmented reality titles are heading, then I'd say we're moving down a pretty cool path. A pretty cool path where you get to shoot down TIE Fighters with your iPhone.

(Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/11/star-wars-arcade-falcon-gunner/])

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
i. so. want. this. game. im so glad im getting the new ipod touch 4g tomorrow.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Well that's totally awesome.
It must be hard to play in certain places, like on a train, or a car, or a plane, or really anywhere when you can't rotate your body all the way around. In fact, how will this work if you're not standing?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Xzi said:
I'd never buy an iPhone with their ridiculously overpriced wireless service costs, but I'm guessing this can be bought for the new iPod touch as well? I might be in the market for a new MP3 player soon, and this type of thing makes it awfully appealing.
Overpriced? Hardly. You'd be hard pressed to find cheaper service. If it is cheaper it generally means they don't offer top of the line phones like iPhone or android.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Xzi said:
I'd never buy an iPhone with their ridiculously overpriced wireless service costs
How do you figure that? The wireless costs are dependant of the service provider. In the UK at least.

I personally get free wireless and internet with my service provider.

OT: So getting this game!

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
Xzi said:
I'd never buy an iPhone with their ridiculously overpriced wireless service costs, but I'm guessing this can be bought for the new iPod touch as well? I might be in the market for a new MP3 player soon, and this type of thing makes it awfully appealing.
Overpriced? Hardly. You'd be hard pressed to find cheaper service. If it is cheaper it generally means they don't offer top of the line phones like iPhone or android.
Yeah, the iPhone isn't all that poorly priced. The iPad's price is horrendous, though.

The iPad's price point puts it in competition with full blown tablet PCs and mid-low end laptops. Yet the iPad lacks all the important features of a tablet. It's like a half-assed tablet at the same price.

The iPhone's price point puts it in line with its competition. It's a high end smartphone. Of course, the iPhones biggest flaw is its closed architecture. You need to jump through so many hoops just to transfer a file onto the iPhone, whereas on my Blackberry, I just use the USB cable... As a portable fun device, the iPhone is definitely pretty good.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Zer_ said:
Jiraiya72 said:
Xzi said:
Yeah, the iPhone isn't all that poorly priced. The iPad's price is horrendous, though.

The iPad's price point puts it in competition with full blown tablet PCs and mid-low end laptops. Yet the iPad lacks all the important features of a tablet. It's like a half-assed tablet at the same price.

The iPhone's price point puts it in line with its competition. It's a high end smartphone. Of course, the iPhones biggest flaw is its closed architecture. You need to jump through so many hoops just to transfer a file onto the iPhone, whereas on my Blackberry, I just use the USB cable... As a portable fun device, the iPhone is definitely pretty good.
Or you can just use the free USB app and transfer files that way.

But last years talking points are still fun.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Cryo84R said:
Zer_ said:
Jiraiya72 said:
Xzi said:

Or you can just use the free USB app and transfer files that way.

But last years talking points are still fun.
No, you can't. There was an app that used to allow you to transfer files through USB linkup, but they were told to remove that functionality by Apple, and now you're just paying for file transfer through Wifi... uuugh.

Note: You will not be able to load these files and use them on your iPhone. In other words, you won't be able to listen to the song file or watch the video file, you'll simply be able to store it, and transfer to another computer. Just like a flash drive.
DiskAid is severely limited in its functionality. Like I said, jumping through a load of hoops just to get a gimped flash drive out of my $400 dollar device... No thanks.

I can't drag and drop videos onto the iPhone and play them.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
So that means I could be playing this at church...that is awesome! Hope it's also available for the iPod Touch as well since I'm getting one for Xmas this year.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
Technology is amazing. :D

This is as close as the IPhone is going to get to virtual reality, isn't it?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Xzi said:
Jiraiya72 said:
Xzi said:
Yea well I don't use the internet on my phone constantly. $55 per month for my current service. Last I heard, iPhone requires the $100 per month unlimited plan from AT&T. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I pay 90$ a month for my iphone. 450 rollover minutes (unlimited if calling other AT&T customers), unlimited texts and 2GB of Internet. They also offer no texts and 200MB of Internet if you want to go that low. You could get your bill down to 50-60 if you took all lowest options.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
You want the best experience? Play it while facing at a window in an airplane.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Zer_ said:
No, you can't. There was an app that used to allow you to transfer files through USB linkup, but they were told to remove that functionality by Apple, and now you're just paying for file transfer through Wifi... uuugh.
Dude, type in USB into the app store and you get the free USB disk app by Imesart. I use it, It's there right now. It's 5.5MB and was last updated on October 28th, 2010.

I can post each rating review from the app store if you want, but I think I made my point.

Zer_ said:
I can't drag and drop videos onto the iPhone and play them.
I'm playing a video I made on my computer on my iPhone RIGHT NOW through Dropbox, also free.

Looking through iTunes, there is also an app called iPen Drive, also free.

iTunes is a free download, nothing is stopping you from figuring this all out on your own.