iPhone Game Lets You Blast TIE Fighters Over New York

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
While that looks appealing, I am much more looking forward to augmented reality games on the 3DS. I think the presence of actual physical buttons will serve to enhance the experience.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Cryo84R said:
Zer_ said:
No, you can't. There was an app that used to allow you to transfer files through USB linkup, but they were told to remove that functionality by Apple, and now you're just paying for file transfer through Wifi... uuugh.
Dude, type in USB into the app store and you get the free USB disk app by Imesart. I use it, It's there right now. It's 5.5MB and was last updated on October 28th, 2010.

I can post each rating review from the app store if you want, but I think I made my point.

Zer_ said:
I can't drag and drop videos onto the iPhone and play them.
I'm playing a video I made on my computer on my iPhone RIGHT NOW through Dropbox, also free.

Looking through iTunes, there is also an app called iPen Drive, also free.

iTunes is a free download, nothing is stopping you from figuring this all out on your own.
iTunes is shit. I avoid it whenever possible. And here you are again saying "download this app, download that app."

Yeah, I know I can have videos transferred through iTunes, but I don't want to use iTunes. I don't want to have to convert my videos into an iPhone supported format. Yeah, h.264 is awesome, but it's nice to have more freedom with the hardware you purchased.

My damn Blackberry supports wmv, avi, mp4, mp3, wav, jpg, bmp. I can transfer my media for use without the use of a clunky piece of proprietary trash.

And again, you haven't addressed my main point. You can't take your iPhone out of the box, plug it into the USB and start dragging and dropping your files into the iPhone's folder structure. For most of that functionality you need to use iTunes, and where iTunes fails, you need to download an app.

Also, my iPod is a 2nd gen Touch, which means that if I update to iOS4 it'll lag up my MP3 player a lot more. No thanks.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
"Out of the box" is different from "not at all".
All I was saying is that was possible, and with next to no effort. Your position is that it was not possible, but it is.
And iTunes runs great for me. Might be your system is bogged down.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Cryo84R said:
All I was saying is that was possible, and with next to no effort. Your position is that it was not possible, but it is.
Actually my main point was "Jumping through hoops." Which, still stands. That, and you're still left with a restricted platform. Open Source? Pfffff!

It's ironic, because most Mac games use OpenGL, which is an Open Source API. ROFL.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Wait a minute, isn't this basically a simple shooter with you're surrounding environment being used as a background?

...How is that really that great? o_O

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Cryo84R said:
Try explaining all this to my dad, who just got an iPhone. It was tough to get him to understand how iTunes works. And it shouldn't be as hard as it is. To get a file on your iPod, without downloading 3rd party software, you need to download iTunes, copy the file to iTunes, then sync the iPod. Nearly every other MP3 player ever has just used drag and drop. It's needlessly hard, only because Apple wants to promote their store.

As for the game, it looks pretty cool. Definitely the type of game I want to see on the iPhone instead of just "draw linez to other linez to platform n stuff".

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
The sad fact is that X-Wing and Tie Fighter are STILL better than any of these games by miles.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Snotnarok said:
The sad fact is that X-Wing and Tie Fighter are STILL better than any of these games by miles.
It's also a fact that X-Wing and Tie Fighter were both designed for tactile response joysticks, and a lot more buttons. :/

They're not even the same genre.

sanguinator

Aug 23, 2010
Ldude893 said:
You want the best experience? Play it while facing at a window in an airplane.
that wouldnt work though because when yo turn the iphone to shoot at a tie fighter behind you then you would be facing all of the passengers on the airplane. and up would just be the ceiling.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Zer_ said:
Snotnarok said:
It's also a fact that X-Wing and Tie Fighter were both designed for tactile response joysticks, and a lot more buttons. :/

That may be so but Lucas has yet to even try to get the same quality or perhaps put the effort forth to make a game that till this day still hits the best games of all time

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Snotnarok said:
Zer_ said:
Snotnarok said:

That may be so but Lucas has yet to even try to get the same quality or perhaps put the effort forth to make a game that till this day still hits the best games of all time
I agree. Even an HD Remake of X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter would be amazing. :(

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Anybody else watch that video simply wondering about how much collateral damage the stray laser bolts would actually do to the New York skyline?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Zer_ said:
Snotnarok said:
Zer_ said:
Snotnarok said:

:C ....You have made me sad. That would be amazing. I've been playing Tie Fighter off and on recently and it's simply great. It has a lot that even trumps the likes of HAWX. You know missions where they have you patrolling for a little, or inspecting ships then all of the sudden problems.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Simalacrum said:
Wait a minute, isn't this basically a simple shooter with you're surrounding environment being used as a background?

...How is that really that great? o_O
This is what I was thinking. Isn't this just playing the same old game, but with your camera turned on to replace the starry background? This is a fun idea, but it's not exactly a triumph of innovative game design. Does this affect gameplay beyond using your camera to capture the background?

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Snotnarok said:
Zer_ said:
Snotnarok said:
Zer_ said:
Snotnarok said:

:C ....You have made me sad. That would be amazing. I've been playing Tie Fighter off and on recently and it's simply great. It has a lot that even trumps the likes of HAWX. You know missions where they have you patrolling for a little, or inspecting ships then all of the sudden problems.
Get Freespace 2. It's not Star Wars, but it does compete with Tie Fighter in almost every way. I personally like Freespace 2 more.