iPhone Game Lets You Blast TIE Fighters Over New York

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Xzi said:
I'd never buy an iPhone with their ridiculously overpriced wireless service costs, but I'm guessing this can be bought for the new iPod touch as well? I might be in the market for a new MP3 player soon, and this type of thing makes it awfully appealing.
I own the new(er?) Ipod Touch and it doesn't have a Camera. Which probably rules this game out.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
Can't find this in the store. Is it out yet?

Haven't app developers learned from how Apple announces products-- that PR is most valuable AFTER the product is available?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Zer_ said:
Snotnarok said:
Zer_ said:
Snotnarok said:
Zer_ said:
Snotnarok said:
The sad fact is that X-Wing and Tie Fighter are STILL better than any of these games by miles.
It's also a fact that X-Wing and Tie Fighter were both designed for tactile response joysticks, and a lot more buttons. :/

They're not even the same genre.
That may be so but Lucas has yet to even try to get the same quality or perhaps put the effort forth to make a game that till this day still hits the best games of all time
I agree. Even an HD Remake of X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter would be amazing. :(
:C ....You have made me sad. That would be amazing. I've been playing Tie Fighter off and on recently and it's simply great. It has a lot that even trumps the likes of HAWX. You know missions where they have you patrolling for a little, or inspecting ships then all of the sudden problems.
Get Freespace 2. It's not Star Wars, but it does compete with Tie Fighter in almost every way. I personally like Freespace 2 more.
I keep hearing about this game, I have my doubts because I don't like getting my hopes up but good sir I'll give it a look *tip of the hat*

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Snotnarok said:
Zer_ said:
Snotnarok said:
Zer_ said:
Snotnarok said:
Zer_ said:
Snotnarok said:
The sad fact is that X-Wing and Tie Fighter are STILL better than any of these games by miles.
It's also a fact that X-Wing and Tie Fighter were both designed for tactile response joysticks, and a lot more buttons. :/

They're not even the same genre.
That may be so but Lucas has yet to even try to get the same quality or perhaps put the effort forth to make a game that till this day still hits the best games of all time
I agree. Even an HD Remake of X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter would be amazing. :(
:C ....You have made me sad. That would be amazing. I've been playing Tie Fighter off and on recently and it's simply great. It has a lot that even trumps the likes of HAWX. You know missions where they have you patrolling for a little, or inspecting ships then all of the sudden problems.
Get Freespace 2. It's not Star Wars, but it does compete with Tie Fighter in almost every way. I personally like Freespace 2 more.
I keep hearing about this game, I have my doubts because I don't like getting my hopes up but good sir I'll give it a look *tip of the hat*
The reason you do keep hearing about it is because it' just a fantastic game. I do suggest getting the SCP (Source Code Project). It updates the engine to more modern standards. But for a game of its time it still look pretty good.

You don't necessarily need to play the first to start up on the 2nd. Just wait 'till you hit the nebula missions. Man they are tense. :)

http://www.gog.com has it for sale.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Simalacrum said:
Wait a minute, isn't this basically a simple shooter with you're surrounding environment being used as a background?

...How is that really that great? o_O
Rooster Cogburn said:
Simalacrum said:
Wait a minute, isn't this basically a simple shooter with you're surrounding environment being used as a background?

This is what I was thinking. Isn't this just playing the same old game, but with your camera turned on to replace the starry background? This is a fun idea, but it's not exactly a triumph of innovative game design. Does this affect gameplay beyond using your camera to capture the background?
You might notice that there aren't any controls beyond "fire." The actual controls are done with the iPhone's gyroscope/accelerometer. So, rather than just, say, pressing right and having the turret rotate that way, you actually need to move your body to the right and keep the TIE Fighter within your "sights." If it flies overhead, you need to move the camera up to keep it in your sights.

It's a bit more involved than just a shooter with a camera used to capture background.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
John Funk said:
Simalacrum said:

Rooster Cogburn said:
Simalacrum said:

This is what I was thinking. Isn't this just playing the same old game, but with your camera turned on to replace the starry background? This is a fun idea, but it's not exactly a triumph of innovative game design. Does this affect gameplay beyond using your camera to capture the background?
You might notice that there aren't any controls beyond "fire." The actual controls are done with the iPhone's gyroscope/accelerometer. So, rather than just, say, pressing right and having the turret rotate that way, you actually need to move your body to the right and keep the TIE Fighter within your "sights." If it flies overhead, you need to move the camera up to keep it in your sights.

It's a bit more involved than just a shooter with a camera used to capture background.
...Sooooo what you're saying here is that it's a regular shooter with the camera using the background, and you twist and turn you're body to move the turret? :p

I still don't really see how the camera background really adds anything to the gameplay, you could easily implement gyroscope targeting without the camera...

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
John Funk said:
Simalacrum said:

Rooster Cogburn said:
Simalacrum said:

Oh, I see. I failed to appreciate just how neat the controls were. That compounded with the camera background, which suddenly seems much more appropriate and clever in light of the unique controls, does make for one very cool presentation. This looks great, but good luck playing in public! I get enough stares without spinning around yelling, "they're coming in too fast!"