Columnist Calls Black Ops Ad "Twisted"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Columnist Calls Black Ops Ad "Twisted"

The debate over Activision's "Soldier in All of Us" ad continues to swirl as a columnist for The Atlantic calls it a "twisted advertising campaign" that goes way too far toward turning the horrors of real combat into cheap fun and games.

There's been a lot of talk about "Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105048-Superb-CoD-Black-Ops-Ad-Celebrates-Your-Inner-Soldier] that puts dozens of normal, average people (and a couple not-so-normal or average) in the middle of a very realistic battlefield, complete with explosions, automatic weapons fire, circling helicopters and more. Pyrotechnically, it's a match for any run-of-the-mill war movie, but the players themselves are clearly having way too much fun. It's a dichotomy that some people find inappropriate.

"This ad equips people with real guns and simulates real-life, no-CGI combat," Sam Machkovech wrote in a column for The Atlantic [http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2010/11/call-of-dutys-twisted-advertising-campaign/66293/]. "The thud of recoil, the screams of rockets, the dust of explosions... and the look of exasperation on that little, shotgun-wielding girl. The only things missing are the dead bodies on the receiving ends of each bullet and blast."

Machkovech argues that videogames, "even at their highest level of action and violence," are inherently cartoonish and silly affairs. But by simulating real-life combat so closely in the ad, Activision [http://www.activision.com] has crossed some sort of line. It has, apparently, made things too real.

"A few years ago, similar ad [http://www.microsoft.com], pasted below. Perhaps they pulled the ad to avoid disrespecting the sensitivities of real combat, but at least their take shared the whimsy and coyness that is inherent with video game battling," he continued. "Activision's ad, on the other hand, comes closer to selling real death than any video game possibly could."

At the risk of over-editorializing, I feel obligated to point out that the ad doesn't feature any dead bodies or horrific trauma that inevitably results from real combat, as Machkovech himself noted, precisely because it's not about real combat. It's an advertisement for a videogame, and while war isn't fun, videogames - including videogames about war - most definitely are. The chubby girl with the door-knocker doesn't look exasperated, she looks exhilarated, because she's obviously having a blast. Which from where I sit is the whole point: War is hell, but "proud noob" Jimmy Kimmel getting knocked on his ass by his own RPG? That's just good times.

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2010/11/09/atlantic-columnist-violent-black-ops-ad-%E2%80%9Ctwisted%E2%80%9D]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I saw this one coming the moment I watched that ad. It will probably be mentioned by our press, especially seeing this kind of ad rolling near remembrance day...

Whatever. I'm not buying it.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
Well, I thought the ad is well-made. I don't think it's bad taste at all.

Some people should just take the stick out of their ass.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I'm I the only one who laughed at the end? "Rated R for Mature". Yup, pretty mature that was.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I accidentally read that as "Communist Calls Black Ops Ad Twisted" >_>

OT:Wat, the ad was funny, and all i can think of is that Sam completely missed the point.

CakeDragon

Mar 10, 2009
the players themselves are clearly having way too much fun.
Isn't that the point of advertising? If the people didn't look as though they were having fun then it would reflect poorly on the game.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I thought the ad was hilarious. If you don't understand something, you should probably read up about it before you yell preposterous things like this. Just get it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I can see his point.

Then again, this is what Activision was going for; good, clean shock value.

CitySquirrel

Jun 1, 2010
I saw this ad for the first time last night. My first reaction was "I don't care at all about Black ops"... my second was "egads, who thought this was a good idea?"

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Maybe he was running out of ideas for his opinion piece?

I loved, loved, LOVED this commercial. I found it comical, fun to watch, and it also managed to capture some of the fun and hilarity that can be found in games in general.

Also, fear the Chef, he comes for YOU!

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I thought the ad was hilarious myself, some people will find a reason to whine about anything these days. Far as I could tell everyone was having a blast in the ad and that's the whole point.

Jun 11, 2008
The ad was completely ridiculous and absurd. Anyone offended by this needs a serious reality check. It is just an awful ad and is not twisted in any way.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I think that's a great ad.

Why don't the developers simply say, well there are no bodies because it's a videogame. The message is to show that it's like real life combat, without the risk.

Personally I am starting to get annoyed with the amount of people that get offended over nothing, and did anyone catch the quote where gaming as a whole was attacked? "inherently cartoonish and silly affairs." How can we let people say things like this about our medium?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Both ads are advertising gaming. The idea of gaming is to have fun! See where I'm going with this?

People are idiots for being offended by these adverts IMO. Especially the Xbox one. Which is awesome!