Columnist Calls Black Ops Ad "Twisted"

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I saw that Ad run last Sunday.
I instantly knew they were going to take flak for it, and for that very reason.

It does seem to cross that line, even though I understood their intended message.
I'm their target demographic, and even *I* was put off a bit by the frankness of their ad.

Zelbio

Mar 29, 2009
I absolutely love this ad. It reminded me of the first few Xbox 360 ads those "Jump In" commercials.
And this one ^e^

Just with guns...
I love it.
ROCK ON PISTOL WIELDING SHEFF

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I actually think it's pretty funny, though there weren't enough angry 14 year old's to make it totally accurate.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
I thought it was amusing.

But I guess everyone else didn't think so.
Actually, if you see the thread someone else made it on it it was about 300:3 on those who found nothing wrong with it to those who did.

OT: It's just another excuse to have a go at games, nothing more. If you can't handle anything war-related not being deadly serious then don't send your troops into unnecessary conflicts.

I bet these guys don't have problems with Ahmed the Dead Terrorist.

Rock 'n' Soul

Nov 15, 2009
I understand the concern, but my first reaction was amusement, not horror. You don't see anyone getting angry at violent films or television shows. It's nice that they show a diverse group of people coming together to play video games. Which, as a side note is amusing since you see a woman first and they happened to forget those female avatar items. ;) I loved this commercial.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I hope he didn't forget to point out how "twisted" R.E.D, Kill Bill, LOTR in parts (with Gimli) and a lot of other movies are.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Personally I didn't find it offensive, but I can see how some people might. What really strikes me about this is the timing. With the Supreme Court case being decided right now, couldn't EA do a more conventional advertising to this already controversial game? This is just going to add fuel to the "games are murder simulators" arguments and make California's case stronger if they think people are being desensitized to the horrors of war by video games.

Leviathan_

Jan 2, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Machkovech argues that videogames, "even at their highest level of action and violence," are inherently cartoonish and silly affairs.

Silly affairs?

What a silly person, move along people, nothing here to see besides ignorant people.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
I hope game developers make more ads like this to piss of this man and his equally clueless friends.

Good day.

DukeGren

Mar 31, 2010
I personally don't like the ad, but he's reading too much into it.(BTW the RPG-7 is a recoilless weapon, so it won't knock you on your ass like that.)

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Mmmmm. I dunno.

Gamers can go 'ehh, it's a non-story' all they like, but a hell of a lot of non-gamers are going to see this ad. Non-gamers who maybe have a relative stuck in that unfortunate part of the world, who aren't sure whether their loved one is coming home on two feet, no feet or in a box. This thing . . . at best it's a bit off-kilter, and at worst its an asshat move.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
its still missing 12yo noobs but I kinda like this commercial I dont see anything wrong with it also I dont see anything wrong with the banned Xbox commercial

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
I hated the advertisement on a visceral level for the exact reasons cited in the article mentioned here. It doesn't help if the little girl is ecstatic rather than exasperated, by the way - it makes it worse by conjuring up images of child soldiers. I'm firmly against censorship, of course, so I'm not going to argue about their rights to air this crap. I'm just amazed that something so tone-deaf ever made it out of the company's marketing department.