Columnist Calls Black Ops Ad "Twisted"

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
While I enjoyed the ad and think anyone over-analyzing it is an idiot it was kind of a misstep on Activision's part. With the Anti-video game legislation going on and all it will only ad fuel to all the Jack Thompson wannabe dick heads.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
The ad is really impressive, but I can definitely see how it might be seen as offensive or inappropriate. I have a friend in the military who had gone on a tour in Afghanistan, and he didn't seem very happy about how the commercial made light of a serious situation. Of course, that didn't stop him from buying the game, though.

That's not to say the game isn't good; just that the commercial may hit some nerves.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
"even at their highest level of action and violence," are inherently cartoonish and silly affairs"
Leviathan_ said:
Andy Chalk said:
Machkovech argues that videogames, "even at their highest level of action and violence," are inherently cartoonish and silly affairs.
Due to that remark is seems like you have not played a modern video game and now have completely lost you crediblity.All game developers that have put so much time and money tryinh to make there games realistic should give as apparently all games are silly and cartoonish.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
That's just the BANG! Xbox Live ad taken to it's logical extreme.

But it is a little twisted, even though I don't find it offensive in the slightest the whole concept is just a bit wrong.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
My second thought when seeing the commercial was, "Gee, what does this advertisement say about the average American? Basically, we're all natural-born killers just waiting for an excuse."

That thought was no more comforting than my first reaction.

Imp Poster

Sep 16, 2010
Well, if it wasn't for Jimmy Kimmel, I would have taken it seriously. /sarcasm off
I love the way in commercials, the meaning in what they advertise takes away from the product itself only because people want to find it so. It's like trying to find a nipple slip on a beautiful girl in a dress. Fucking perverts.

thevillageidiot13

Sep 9, 2009
When I first saw this ad, and they showed the part with Kobe Bryant, I was just like... [pause, rewind] "Was that Kobe?"

OT: I can see how some might take it offensively, esp. because the horrors of war can be pretty brutal. Personally, I didn't find it ridiculously amusing, but it wasn't really offensive either.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I'm more concerned about how at 0:32 the guy who blows up the jeep looks suspiciously like Warren Ellis...

You fools! If you give Warren Ellis a gun we're all doomed, doomed I say!

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
It's disappointing that the column writer, Sam Machkovech, and many other column writers won't realize that this is giving Activision free advertising. *Sigh*...

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Bash videogames, receive attention. Fuck me, this is getting old.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not bashing the Escapist's newsroom contributors, just the people who shit on video games because they know it's an easy way to get noticed.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
That jackass from the article said:
This ad equips people with real guns
I didn't know that you got to use real guns when shooting ads and stuff, I might just run off to Hollywood

That same jackass said:
videogames are inherently cartoonish and silly affairs.
There is just so much wrong with that I can't form a coherent sentence expressing my fury.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I can totally see what he's saying. I think he's overreacting a little by posting it in a column, but it's still a valid opinion.

Differentiating between real and fake war/violence is pretty important. The last thing we need to delude ourselves into is that war is fun. Granted, we're nowhere near that at the moment, and the ad is pretty harmless, but I can see what he's saying and I would not file him under "narrow minded old, boring, person".

Nabirius

Dec 29, 2009
I honestly think this whole "controversy" is because it's a Call of Duty and so the media has to declare it "controversial" there is nothing special about this ad. I doubt Activision even meant to stir the pot this time (even though they often do).

Curtisthekiller

Nov 26, 2008
in other news the president stated that his peanutbutter sandwitch was "stale"
and later this morning britney spears claimed that breast augmentation was "Expencive"
honestly people, how the fuck did this make news? we don't need two cents from every pansy with a keyboard cluttering up the escapist. If we keep going on like this we may need to go to the coin counter every week.
to quote HankMan out of context: "So What?"