Vietnam Veteran Upset Over Black Ops Release Date

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Vietnam Veteran Upset Over Black Ops Release Date

Releasing an entertainment product based on a real conflict so close to day of remembrance and mourning is "tacky," says a former soldier.

A Canadian veteran has accused Activision of using Remembrance Day - the Commonwealth equivalent to Veteran's Day - as part of its marketing strategy for Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289498121&sr=8-1]. Ron Parkes, of Winnipeg, Canada, actually served a three-month tour in Vietnam in 1965 and thought that the choice of date was disrespectful to those who had died in battle.

Parkes said it was "tacky" for Activision to release an entertainment product that graphically displayed a real-world conflict like Vietnam in the same week as Remembrance Day. He stressed that was the timing that he was angry about, rather than then game itself. Had Black Ops come out a couple of weeks before or after Remembrance Day, he said, he would have no problem with it, although he didn't think that Black Ops - or any other game for that matter - would ever accurately portray just how terrible war really was. "War is a whole different scenario then regular life," he said. "You live and breathe it every day you are there, and sometimes those memories, good and bad, still catch up to you."

Activision hasn't overtly made a connection between the release of Black Ops and Remembrance Day, as that would undoubtedly leave it open to a veritable tidal wave of criticism from all quarters, but it has made a big deal recently about the game being a tribute to the armed forces [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105066-Kotick-Calls-Call-of-Duty-a-Tribute-to-the-Military]. Admittedly, it has backed those words up with millions of dollars in donations to the veteran's charity it set up - which is good news regardless of the motivation behind it - but it's clearly not above using people's feelings about the military to help it sell games.

Source: Winnipeg Free Press [http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our-communities/herald/Vietnam-vet-questions--timing-of-game-release-106987683.html] via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5686445/vietnam-vet-calls-black-ops-release-timing-tacky]

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
WHAT!? They released it on November Ninth becuase it was a good day to release a game...

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
It seems highly unlikely to me that the two things are connected. It's not even on the damned day. I suppose it never struck him that early November is a very good time to release a game like Blops? I don't personally understand why the damn game keeps getting picked on for ridiculous reasons.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Korten12 said:
WHAT!? They released it on November Ninth becuase it was a good day to release a game...
This. It was remembrance day today and none of my friends realised. I doubt this current generation cares. I certainly don't.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Thunderhorse31 said:
Is ANY day a good day to release a game that glorifies such a thing as war?
Yes any date that the numbers add up to 5 or 7 see october 14th or jan 16th.

It almost sounds like this guy is mad at some other thing and has chosen this video game as the straw that broke the camels back. That is a small thing to get upset over.

Edit: does anyone think game companies check dates other than for very sensitive holidays see christmas, 9/11 for americans, ect? I mean that would be a shit job if you had to check all the dates in every country to make sure you were not going to piss off some people.

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
I respect his opinion being upset about the release date but I do not agree with his point of view. Of course a video would not come close to what real war is like.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Wait, he's a Canadian Vietnam vet? He VOLUNTEERED to go to Vietnam?

I think we can safely say he's completely mad.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Remembrance Day? That is my only question, what the fuck is Remembrance Day?

el_negro

Nov 8, 2009
RanD00M said:
the day in wich you are suposed to remember all those soldiers who died in the battlefield... i guess, I'm pretty sure that Activision it's stupid enough to not realise the problem it may generate (like Campcom and RE 5)

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
RanD00M said:
Commonwealth version of Veteran's Day, it recognizes the Armistice signed on November 11 at 11:00 am that ended World War 1. Pretty much everything shuts down for two minutes of silence. I assume the Americans don't celebrate it because they only joined the war in 1917 and didn't contribute that much.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
RanD00M said:
Some shit about some people getting shot at

[/troll]

OT: Huh, really? Of all the things to get mad at in this game and this series, you choose the release date?
There's been so many wars, I bet I could put my finger on a calender and it would have something to do with war

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Akalabeth said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
It seems highly unlikely to me that the two things are connected. It's not even on the damned day. I suppose it never struck him that early November is a very good time to release a game like Blops? I don't personally understand why the damn game keeps getting picked on for ridiculous reasons.
Of course it's not on the same day. Who releases a game on a holiday when stores will be closed?
Remembrance Day isn't a holiday here, I didn't realise it was in America.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Don't video games always come out on Tuesday? I'm looking at my calendar and the last set of major releases I got and all of them are Tuesdays. So what that it's THIS Tuesday?