Gran Turismo 5 Racing Into Stores This Month

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gran Turismo 5 Racing Into Stores This Month

Polyphony Digital boss Kaz Yamauchi has apologized for the long wait, and hopes that Gran Turismo 5 doesn't disappoint.

After years in development and several delays, Sony has finally pinned down a release date for racing simulator Gran Turismo 5. What's more, the date is not only this year, it's this month, as the game will apparently be in stores on November 24th.

In a statement on the PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/11/12/gran-turismo-5-release-date-confirmed-for-november-24th-2010], Yamauchi apologized for making Gran Turismo fans wait for so long, but said that meeting, or even surpassing, their expectations had been Polyphony's number one priority. He compared it to the Apollo Space Program - which put the first men on the moon in 1969 - in terms of the complexity of the project and the number of challenges along the way. When the first GT came out, Yamauchi said, the goal was to set a "new precedent" for the racing games, and with the extra power of the PS3, he wanted to outdo all Polyphony's previous efforts and create another "great revolution" for the genre. He hoped that the game would not disappoint the people who had been waiting so long for it.

When the "concrete" release date for Gran Turismo 5 turned out to be more of a guideline [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104344-Gran-Turismo-5s-Concrete-Release-Date-Smashed], sources suggested that seeing the game this year was unlikely. Sony countered that rumor earlier this month by saying that the GT5 disks were in the process of being stamped [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104952-Gran-Turismo-5-Discs-Being-Stamped-As-We-Speak] and would be ready for release later this year. Obviously we've seen Gran Turismo miss more than one release date, but provided no unseen calamities happen between now and the 24th, this looks like it's finally the real deal.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I never cared for Gran Turismo so...I guess I'll pass on this. I've been turning into a bit of a car buff lately, but these games still don't interest me =X Its crazy that its finally coming out though. haha

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
Hope he doesn't have to eat his words. The Racing game genre isn't exactly known for being breaking new ground often or revolutionazing the classic formula to any lasting degree

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I always found this game incredibly boring, not interested in racing game unless I can fire a Red Shell at someone or at least run them off the road

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Alright:

How much can you really do with racing games?

I can understand Alan Wake taking so long, and Mafia 2 to an extent, but all I've heard about why it was held back was his OCD.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
*clears throat* WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Finally! It's been a very long time coming, haven't played a good racing game since Forza 2, looking forward to this, and only just over a week away, lovely stuff.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Okay 12 days and it's been stamped. Don't screw this up for us Poly. You can fix some of this stuff in a patch! We won't mind. Now just let us finally get it then you can get your money hat for every employee in there.

Calumon: But money is for getting food! Get a bread hat! :D

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Karim Saad said:
qbanknight said:
Hate to break it to you guys...but it will totally disappoint
Of course.

And what a BSing asshole.
"He compared it to the Apollo Space Program - which put the first men on the moon in 1969 - in terms of the complexity of the project and the number of challenges along the way."
I think NASA would take offence to that...

On topic: "And GT5 races across the finish line! Too bad its years after the last racer to cross the finish line."

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
I never cared for Gran Turismo so...I guess I'll pass on this. I've been turning into a bit of a car buff lately, but these games still don't interest me =X Its crazy that its finally coming out though. haha
Well, liking cars does not need to equal liking car games - Same with anything.

I too find it unremarkable

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Estocavio said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Well, liking cars does not need to equal liking car games - Same with anything.

I too find it unremarkable
Yeah, but I figured that I didn't like it before, so maybe now that I'm more interested in cars, I'd find it a little more interesting...I was wrong.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
SO many of these responeses are, "I don't care, not for me, game will dissapoint". If you don't like it fine, but no need to flood the post with you not caring.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
I never want it to come out. It will always be something to look forward to.

Or we can just wait 9 years for the next one.

hungoverbear

Mar 8, 2008
Finally, this game is the only reason why I'm going to pick up a PS3. That and God of War III, and Planet Earth on Blu Ray, and free online multiplayer......also this game better give me the options to customize and create a 24 hours of Lemons (google it) race.