Rumor: PSP2 Images Hit the Streets

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: PSP2 Images Hit the Streets

More information about the system's internal capabilities hasn't been released, so its rumored level of extreme power [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92954-Rumored-PSP2-Will-Boast-Powerful-Quad-Core-GPU] still can't be confirmed. Most of the other rumors surrounding the device have turned out to be true, so don't be surprised if Sony ends up putting a mini-nuclear reactor in our hands with the PSP2.

The most intriguing aspect of the PSP2 to me is the rear trackpad. In my mind, it could allow for some kind of touchscreen control while also becoming a button that can be tapped when using the dual analog sticks. Whatever it ends up being used for, I hope it'll be interesting. According to rumors, the PSP2 could be released as early as the holidays of 2011 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104054-Rumor-PSP2-Rocking-Hands-By-Holiday-2011], so expect an announcement around E3 next year.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/17/psp2-dev-kit-snaps-show-twin-sticks-trackpad/]

Guy32

Jan 4, 2009
Fairly interested...
The trackpad is much more innovative then I would've expected from sony.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
I'm hoping that flip-up design isn't kept. Makes the whole damn thing look oddly fragile. Still, dual analog sticks is something to be excited about. Thanks for making us wait for 'em all these years, Sony.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Hmm...well I'm still gonna remain as skeptical as always until I hear from the horses mouth, but none the less it's interesting. Even though this is supposedly a older or working design, it seems alright for the most part. The only thing I would change from it are the orientation of the track pad and right stick.

Flip the position of the face buttons and the right stick so it's more "360 like", it's ultimately a more comfortable and less awkward design. I can cope with what is there, but they just seem a little too far off to the sides and I can see some people having trouble holding it if you're gonna be putting shooters on it.

The track pad I'd put on the right side (that's if the whole backside isn't a track pad) of the system as well behind the face buttons, it just seems more logical and again, comfortable. Your left hand is already working movement and junk, you don't want it busy with the touch pad as well.

Also, there better be backwards compatibility in some way be it a UMD drive add on or having some legal way to make ISOs of our games. I still wanna play my PSP1 games dammit. And that D-pad better not be the final design, the original segmented D-pad was great, and made the system awesome for fighting games.

Now all we need are actual tech specs and battery life and color me excited.

aeric90

Mar 31, 2010
I'm going to be a bit optimistic and believe that if this is the real deal then it's just a prototype shell for the dev-kits in which case things could change following test play and things. If that's the case then I'm excited. The full analog control and the possibilities of the track pad (which I assume would be to sub in for adding more triggers) are pretty exciting. The only thing that could probably make me even more happy is if they're managed to find a way to make true raised analog sticks instead of nubs.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Sony's definitely not going to let this thing be out-powered by the 3DS- that much I can guarantee. At least they finally have a truly unique feature, (if it does have a track pad on the back) and while I'm all for change, I don't really see why the analogue sticks are positioned the way they are. They should either swap the thumbsticks with the d-pad and buttons, or sacrifice their goddamn symmetry and flip the right side....honestly, how awkward will it be for most people to have go up from the buttons on the right to find the right thumbstick?

Personally, I think it looks pretty uncomfortable. Something about the control positioning just looks like it'll be strenuous. The buttons should be more above of where the base of the thumb will be.

Kiithid

Aug 12, 2009
Oh god not another microphone, unless they implement properly (I reaaaaally doubt it) I'd rather see it going the way of the dodo.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
Well all I have to say is that if this is true then Sony better have learned it's lesson from the PSPGo debacle and put some sort of disc format if they want it to sell out side of japan.

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
seriously, why don't they just let the psp thing die? seriously i have never seen a good game for it that wasn't a port of a ps2/ps3 game. double or nothing says the combination of the mic and "trackpad", whatever the hell that is, is going to be a disaster

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
By golly thats an ugly looking thing o_O

The joysticks are also in the wrong place, it looks rather awkward to use...

Oh wells, I'll have to make my judgement when official photo's come out of the device... if these are legit photo's, that is.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
shadowstriker86 said:
seriously, why don't they just let the psp thing die? seriously i have never seen a good game for it that wasn't a port of a ps2/ps3 game. double or nothing says the combination of the mic and "trackpad", whatever the hell that is, is going to be a disaster
I take it you never heard of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite or Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker?

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
You know, the pictures have arrows marking different things about the PSP2 that are important (like the analog sticks, track pad, etc.) but you know what isn't marked? A place to hold your game, i.e. a disc slot. That might not bode well.

3LANCER

Sep 11, 2008
shadowstriker86 said:
NDS is a platform for Disney crap, PSP has spin-ofs...
neither is truly awesome, yet for me PSP always seemed a bit better choice because it could actually do something besides games (and it also has some emulators which is nice)

As for the PSP2 I don't really like it's PSPgo style, my favourite PSP was the original since it was a bit more rigid than later versions. I fear it could be very fragile, and I still don't get Sony's obsession with cramming the additional stuff in it (touchpad, mic, cameras...). Also - no backwards compatibility - no buy!