Rumor: PSP2 Images Hit the Streets

jetsterjinx

Nov 10, 2009
Looks...interesting. Loving the new analog nubs, but they're in the wrong place - swap them for the other buttons and the design'll make more sense. The microphone and two cameras scream potential - video calling, anyone? Skype could finally have a use on that thing. They should make a slot-in disc (like the mac's superdrive) drive to play games, and let us install games to the system, perhaps? Also, while the trackpad is good, where are my shoulder buttons? Loving the flip-out design, but it had better not be as useless as the PSP Go when it's closed. Also, maybe this will push forward an announcement from Sony...maybe? PLEASE?

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
BrunDeign said:
You know, the pictures have arrows marking different things about the PSP2 that are important (like the analog sticks, track pad, etc.) but you know what isn't marked? A place to hold your game, i.e. a disc slot. That might not bode well.
Personally, I like down-loadable games for portables. Not futzing with media (like UMDs) is only a good thing when you're on the go. Sucks up far less battery power, too. I think Sony has all but admitted the UMD thing was the wrong way to go. PSP Go was an awesome idea that came about far too late to compete with the DS and was way too expensive, otherwise I think it would have trumped Nintendos portable.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
The design does look questionable but I'd give it a chance yet, guys; the DS Lite is essentially a block and looks like it would be uncomfortable as hell to hold but when it's actually in your hands, well, I've never heard anyone complain.

emerald2142

Oct 1, 2009
Wtf...isn't that just a PSP Go? Looks like all they added was a camera (oh yay now I can take pics of myself...)a track-pad (...?) and mic (because we all enjoy 7 year old micspam right?)

Sorry, but i'll pass.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
3LANCER said:
NDS is a platform for Disney crap
I take it you saw a three year old on the train and asked to play the DS for a minute or so and drew your conclusion from that one time alone?

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Mornelithe said:
Asuka Soryu said:
They're stupid? They thought Blu-Ray would be so appealing to gamers, yeah, a 600$ console. How appealing.
Speak for yourself, I bought it, and Blu Ray rocks. Price was perfectly reasonable for what they were offering.

They didn't add rumble, but they added Six Axis. (Yeah, Six Axis... when was that used)
Other than a lack of games that utilize it, I think Warhawk wouldn't be even remotely the same without Sixaxis control, and that games pretty damn sweet. So was Heavenly Sword for that matter, and I actually liked being able to control the trajectory of projectiles.

They removed the backwards compatability of playing PS2 games. What a great saling point, it's slightly cheaper and it can't play PS2 games anymore. But they kept PS1 apparently.
BC was removed because of complaints, similar to those found in your first sentence. And yes, BC was worth it.

And they made fun of the DS, wich to this day is still kicking their asses in the handheld battle.
Don't really have a vested interest in either stance here, just wanted to respond to a couple things you said. Overall, I think this is far more along the lines of what people were expecting when the Go was announced, only to be thoroughly disappointed. It adds dual thumbsticks, something quite alot of people have been vocal about. And opens up some new ideas with the rear touchpad. Peacewalker was effin amazing, so I'll keep my eye on the PSP2 for sure.

The PS3 was very affordable for what it was, a Blu-Ray player with DVD and CD playing abillity.

But the thing was, it was suppose to be a game console first. That 600$ price tag was compeating against two cheaper consoles to a gaming market, not a movie obsessed market.

If you weren't big on Blu-Ray, then you were more likely gone to get a 360 if you needed a game console that also plays movies or a PS2.

I don't really see how one game makes Six Axis so great. You'd have an argument if more games used it, while using it cleverly.

I don't know if there'd be a difference in price, but why not remove PS1 Backwards compatability and keep PS2?

Anyways, if it does save on cards like the DS, or something that you buy in stores, I'll look into it to. My only real complaint with it, is if it's truely a PSP Go with no way of playing games unless you download them off PSN.

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
demoman_chaos said:
I take it you never heard of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite or Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker?
I problem with the Playstation Portable isn't that it lacks good games.

The problem is that it lacks a *large selection* of them.

I think that I've bought around 10 good games for the system, and that's really all that exists.

What do you play when you finish God of War? How about once you complete all the hunts on Monster Hunter (through G)?

You simply run out of games with any significant value.

I loved the Playstation Portable dearly while the good games lasted.

When they dried up, I turned to my DS.

I feel that it's time to make a fresh start. Make a new handheld.

3LANCER

Sep 11, 2008
Veldt Falsetto said:
3LANCER said:
I take it you saw a three year old on the train and asked to play the DS for a minute or so and drew your conclusion from that one time alone?
I went to a biggest game store in my city, from more than a hundred DS games let's say 75 were Disney games, games with pets and similar crap they keep farting out each month for children that don't know any better. Mario and Zelda games are unusually rare, they had two Marios and one Zelda, each of them was 50 euros - twice as expensive as "kids" games. On the other hand, PSP games were in a minority (around half of the DS shelf) but a lot cheaper (average is 15 euros).
Now, I'm not saying PSP is awesome beyond belief - it isn't. What makes me sad is the slow refresh rate of the screen, it's tendency to get dirty really quick and occasional frame-rate drops that I didn't expect from a console (hearing people that everything on a console runs buttery smooth at all times)

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
3LANCER said:
Veldt Falsetto said:
3LANCER said:
I went to a biggest game store in my city, from more than a hundred DS games let's say 75 were Disney games, games with pets and similar crap they keep farting out each month for children that don't know any better. Mario and Zelda games are unusually rare, they had two Marios and one Zelda, each of them was 50 euros - twice as expensive as "kids" games. On the other hand, PSP games were in a minority (around half of the DS shelf) but a lot cheaper (average is 15 euros).
Now, I'm not saying PSP is awesome beyond belief - it isn't. What makes me sad is the slow refresh rate of the screen, it's tendency to get dirty really quick and occasional frame-rate drops that I didn't expect from a console (hearing people that everything on a console runs buttery smooth at all times)
I'm disagreeing because there is a wealth of great DS games around, but just like games for all consoles, you have to dig and search for the best ones, yes there are plenty of childrens games for the DS but there are plenty of adult games too, not to mention it's pretty much the only platform that promotes a point and click come back.

Also, consoles and handhelds run much differently, It's hard to say that the PSP and the Ps2 or Ps3 run the same way, Ps2 and 3 will run very smoothly in contrast to the PSP

wickedproxy

Dec 17, 2010
I'll be very happy to see dual sticks. I'll be very unhappy if there are no disk slots. I like to own the game not pay for the privilege to use a licensed file that can be denied to me at sony's discretion. If you don't think they will take away things you have paid for I direct you to Other OS.