Epic: Photo-Realistic Graphics 10-15 Years Away

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Epic: Photo-Realistic Graphics 10-15 Years Away

Games are only 10-15 years away from truly realistic graphics, says Epic's Tim Sweeney, but making games look real isn't enough. They have to feel real, too.

Assuming you aren't already in your twilight years or haven't contracted pig flu, you'll probably live to see graphics in games achieve genuine photo-realism, according to Epic Games' Tim Sweeney.

"We'll certainly see that happen in our lifetimes," Sweeney, who said true realism is "only about a factor of a thousand away," remarked. "It's just a result of Moore's Law [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore%27s_law]. Probably 10-15 years or that stuff, which isn't far at all. Which is scary."

Scary in the sense that we'll be able to generate virtual people who actually look like people, inevitably paving the way for the destruction of the human race by Cylons/Terminators/etc, right? Well, not entirely. As Sweeney sees it, even if games look completely real, they're not necessarily going to feel that way.

Things that require "simulating human intelligence or behavior" like animation, conversations and more, are "really cheesy" in games right now, and it's going to be some time before technology can convincingly replicate the intricacies of the human body. "We simulate character facial animation using tens of bones and facial controls, but in the body, you have thousands," Sweeney said. "It turns out we've evolved to recognize those things with extraordinary detail, so we're far short of being able to simulate that."

Sweeney said that even if we had infinitely powerful computers, we'd still run into problems since "we don't know how the brain works or how to simulate it." Before truly realistic graphics can exist, he explained, developers would have to "simulate the brain and nervous system" on a computer. Now that sounds a little bit more like the end of the human race than Gears of War with super realistic graphics.

[Via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23742]]

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Here's hoping that gameplay isn't left in the dust for these visual developments...

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Well, Epic and other graphics engine companies are going to have to come up with a way to make modeling characters and objects in these new graphics easier, or dev costs will go through the crumbling, twisted frame that was once a roof.

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
I think it's interesting that anyone in the games industry is still talking about photo-realistic graphics when 3D animation studios--always ahead of the curve in graphics technology since they have much lower framerate requirements--seem to have rejected the idea years ago. What's the difference?

Grand_Marquis

Feb 9, 2009
Well, in the field of motion capture, the uncanny valley has already been crossed as far as film is concerned. So I'd say 10-15 years is actually a bit too conservative. I don't understand what he means by not 'feeling real' though. You can't --have-- photorealism without the feeling of realness. They're inherently tied together. That's why the term "uncanny valley" exists in the first place - so you have a way to describe something that is close-but-no-cigar.

Not only that, but I seriously doubt that, in ten years, we won't have a way to mimic realistic motion and facial animation in realtime. Like I said, it's already happened in non-realtime CG houses. The jump to games is nowhere near a decade off. Maybe five. Maybe even three.

On the other hand, the path to creating Strong AI is far, faaar away. Much further than 15 or even 30 years, at the rate we're going.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
But whose going to pay for modeling 1,400 polygons on the fingernail of a generic medieval shopkeep?

Ginnipe

May 25, 2009
I relly hope that companies will put gameplay first not graphic because if someone makes a game that looks the best humanly (or computerly) possible and leve the gameplay in the dust then why make a game, go make a movie. Take Half-Life 2, i mean come on, admit it, the graphics could have been better but thats not the point, it was the best single-player game i've ever played. seiriosly, take gameplay into affect befor graphics, gameplay trumps graphics every way

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
no no no! I wasnt stories about games with amazing stories, games that stories blow you away with excitement, sorrow or joy.
Yeah good graphics are a factor, but are back seat to the story in my opinion.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
needausername said:
WrongSprite said:
Ranooth said:
Gameplay anyone?
Once graphics can't go any further, gameplay with be the only factor.

The Golden Age :D
And multiplayer, actors, and story line spring too mind.
Screw multiplayer. A photo realistic game with good voicing, gameplay and story will be amazing.
With photo realism the chances are a lot of actors are going to want to get in on it. As Andy Serkis did with Heavenly Sword.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Grand_Marquis said:
Well, in the field of motion capture, the uncanny valley has already been crossed as far as film is concerned. So I'd say 10-15 years is actually a bit too conservative. I don't understand what he means by not 'feeling real' though. You can't --have-- photorealism without the feeling of realness. They're inherently tied together. That's why the term "uncanny valley" exists in the first place - so you have a way to describe something that is close-but-no-cigar.
I think it comes down to creating convincing animations in real time. We can create static images that are indistinguishable from reality (PhotoShop, anyone?), and we can use mo-cap and post-production tricks to create convincing animations in films, but doing it in real time is an altogether different beast. Watch your character run up a flight of stairs in a typical third-person game, and you'll notice that we have a ways to go on even the most basic animations. When it comes to complicated stuff like facial expressions and body language, it's going to take a long time before it's completely seamless.

Novan Leon

Dec 10, 2007
Show me photorealism in a movie before you start forecasting photorealism in videogames. Thanks.