London Calling With a Fresh Clue for BioWare's New Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
London Calling With a Fresh Clue for BioWare's New Game

Another day, another clue about BioWare's [http://www.bioware.com] upcoming new game, and this one really rocks the casbah.

BioWare's been having fun teasing us about the new game it plans to unveil at the bridgets [http://www.spike.com/event/vga]," linking to the atomic mass of iron, the coldest recorded temperature on Earth and the British Secret Intelligence Service. Now we have another clue: The Clash.

That's The Singles [http://www.theclash.com/].

Some people see a connection between the image of SIS headquarters in London and the classic Clash hit "London Calling," although where it could possibly go from there is tough to call. Joe Strummer becomes a 00 agent and goes deep undercover in Russia, maybe?

Of course, it could also refer to a "clash," or perhaps one of the other tracks on the disc. One quick-witted Facebook [http://www.facebook.com/BioWare#!/photo.php?fbid=172101152817492&set=a.157703110923963.32829.136219176405690&comments] commenter noted that London Calling came out the same year that Margaret Thatcher, aka The Iron Lady, became Prime Minister of the U.K. It's a stretch, sure, and I have no idea what it could possibly mean, but that's exactly how I like my theories: wild and senseless.

Sony's Russian branch may have Mass Effect 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105493-Sony-Russia-Claims-BioWare-Reveal-Is-Mass-Effect-3], but that could just as well be a little misdirection. After all, why go to all this trouble just to announce a game we all know is coming anyway? In other words, we still need ideas, people!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Getting slightly irritated with developers cock-teasing me in preparation for what will likely be another cock-tease.

Dec 14, 2009
Please be a game with a British protagonist, for the love of god, I'll love Bioware even more (if that's even possible) if it's kick arse character in ME3, pleaaaaaase!

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
you are an MI6 agent, at time of first alien contact in ME universe, and you have one hell of an epic adventure.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
STEAM better have both Mass Effects for sale soon, 'cause i'm really getting pumped for ME3...

Dec 14, 2009
MR T3D said:
you are an MI6 agent, at time of first alien contact in ME universe, and you have one hell of an epic adventure.
That would kick arse.

Just an ordinary day, well, ordinary for an MI6 agent, necks were snapped, schematics were stolen and heads were sniped. Then the turians arrived. "Bollocks".

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Woodsey said:
Getting slightly irritated with developers cock-teasing me in preparation for what will likely be another cock-tease.
As they announce that they will be announcing the announcement of an announcement sometime soon.

Maybe they're announcing that Kojima will be involved in ME3.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Jumplion said:
STEAM better have both Mass Effects for sale soon, 'cause i'm really getting pumped for ME3...
Pretty sure it already does.

Edit: Me, i'm hoping its a game about the First Contact War. an RTS, a Team based shooter, anything.

MadMechanic

Nov 6, 2009
[sub]I've been following this story for a few days now, but the title of the best song in the universe is what really brought me here today... [/sub]

Daystar Clarion said:
Please be a game with a British protagonist, for the love of god, I'll love Bioware even more (if that's even possible) if it's kick arse character in ME3, pleaaaaaase!
I second this - well, the British protagonist bit. I'm not sure how a 'British' accent would work in ME1-3, although I think it'd work well with any pre-ME1 games.

If the game has 'London Calling' in it, I will be over the moon, as it'll save me from messing around with my 360 and music disks...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Woodsey said:
As they announce that they will be announcing the announcement of an announcement sometime soon.

Isn't he the guy who writes MGS?

In which case, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

spookydom

Aug 31, 2009
I really don't care what it is. The sad fact that if it's made by BioWare I will no doubt be buying it at some point. I'm such a sheep for that bunch of pushers. It's not what I wanted to be when I grew up......Still could be worse, at least I still have my hair.....w8!.....OH CRAP!:)

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Eh, I'd be a bit disappointed if all this speculation just turns out to be Mass Effect 3. Sure, we'll all be happy to see Mass Effect 3 coming, but we already know that. It was inevitable.

Give us something new! Something exciting, something which justifies all this hype. Because this is just annoying me.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
This clue points more towards a new IP, a James Bond-esque IP.
And if that's the case
AWE-FREAKIN'-SOME! We all know Mass Effect 3 is on the way, so having the reveal be ME3 is boring, having it be a spin-off is less so, but I think Bioware would finish the trilogy before working on anything else ME related.

And the new IP could be a spy game, and that would kick so much ass!

Dec 14, 2009
RatRace123 said:
This clue points more towards a new IP, a James Bond-esque IP.
And if that's the case
AWE-FREAKIN'-SOME! We all know Mass Effect 3 is on the way, so having the reveal be ME3 is boring, having it be a spin-off is less so, but I think Bioware would finish the trilogy before working on anything else ME related.

And the new IP could be a spy game, and that would kick so much ass!
It could a good version of Alpha Protocol.

VirusHunter

Nov 19, 2009
It might be a bit of a longshop but perhaps the dude with the incisor rifle is the player character in an alternate story where Shepard didn't survive the suicide mission, forcing the player to import an ME2 (or ME1 I dunno) save if they want to play as Shepard.

Y'know, kinda like in Mass Effect 2 where if you started a new game, the council didn't survive the attack on the cidatel and now humans run the joint.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Futuristic, classicly suave James Bond-style espionage shenanigans in the Mass Effect Universe? SOLD.

"I'll have a Space Martini. Shaken, not Quantum-theoretically-stirred."

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
So, what kind of an auction is this going to be now?
Zachary Amaranth said:
Woodsey said:

Those are some scary mental images you just gave me there.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Too many of you guys have a disappointingly under-developed sense of fun.

I mean, we're talking about games here! Is it that painful for you to have a little bit of fun with the process?