BioWare: Gamers Prefer a Manly Shepard

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioWare: Gamers Prefer a Manly Shepard

BioWare has released a few more "Fun Facts About Mass Effect 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Pc/dp/B001VJ4DHK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290806669&sr=8-2]" including the percentage of people who created a female Shepard, who the most popular squad member was and how many players let that guy out of the thing.

Back in September, BioWare revealed that it had collected a Destructoid [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103281-BioWare-Mines-Data-From-Mass-Effect-2].

Character customization was a highly-touted feature of the game and a whopping 83 percent of players created their own faces for Commander Shepard, but only 18 percent elected to play as a female. That's not terribly surprising given the heavily male-dominated videogame market, but what I do find shocking is that only 50 percent of Mass Effect 2 players had fully upgraded their ship by the time the game was over.

It's likely that the figures are skewed by multiple playthroughs, as gamers experiment with their ship and crew to see how it affects the endgame, but it still suggests that a fairly large number of people are overlooking some big parts of the game. That, of course, was the whole point of collecting this stuff; as executive producer Casey Hudson said in September, having access to this kind of data allows BioWare [http://www.bioware.com] to design even more appealing games in the future.

Other interesting bits of information: Ten percent of players left the Krogan where they found him, an average of 14 percent of the squad dies in the suicide mission, Archangel was one of the most popular squad members for side missions and 36 percent of players made the Renegade choice during the big finish.

As for me, I fully upgraded my ship, the whole crew loved me (even the surly one in the basement), we all came out of the Big Thrilla in one piece and let's just say I'm probably not on the Illusive Man's Christmas card list anymore. How did you do?

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
I prefer Hale's voice acting. And I'm not saying that to be different. I truly do. It feels....weird playing male Shepard now. It's just not the same :-/

Fully upgraded the ship, lost that amazing Professor on my first finish. Second finish cost me Tali.

I just can't seem to get everyone out alive. I'm still working on that one.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
My playthough was the same as Andy's. Also I totally hit Lawson. Tali feels like a sister after everything we went through in the first game. *shudder*

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I played male shep aswell, and I too will not be on The Illusive mans christmas card list =)

Also, *cough, nice pic there ;)

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Male Shepard's voice only seems to fit the default Shepard with the beard. Lost interest during the loyalty missions, the gameplay just wasn't compelling enough for me to finish.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
I played "manly" Shepard here, upgraded the ship fully, was best friends with everyone, but I just couldn't bring myself to do the Paragon ending, I just didn't agree with it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
All lived except Zaeed (don't care) and Mordin (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!).

As for the Illusive Man, I may as well have cut him a vagina and dumped a JCB digger's worth of sand into it.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Hale's a good actress, but she didn't pull off "Sarcastic prick" for Renegade like the male actor did.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
My Sheploo Soldier kicked ass hard with Zaeed and Grunt on his side, everyone survived, but I've misinterpreted "I want to know you better" as "Let's be friends", so in order to stay faithful to Space Smurfette, Jack hated me.

And TIM wasn't really happy either.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Really, given how many people talk about how much they prefer Femshep I expected the figures to be equal, if not skewed more towards playing as Femshep.
Well, I guess you have to figure the amount of people who played the game and don't talk about it online.

As for my playthrough, I always find a neutral hero to be much more interesting, so I had a pretty fair balance between Paragon and Renegade, The Illusive Man is not going to put me on his Christmas card list either, though.
And as for Shepard, I'll create a custom female one, but I can't make a male Shepard that's better than the default Sheploo.
I also prefer Mark Meer's voice acting for the renegade options, a lot of them deal with a dry sardonic jerkass sense of humor which I think Meer captures better than Hale.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Since no-one else has said it... DAT ASS

I usally play as a female Shepard though, because the male voice actor sounds terrible.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I prefered the female character, if you ask me the voice acting was soooo much better. She just looked ugly as fuck.. (plays a great ***** themed character though)

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Pulled off a similar, unofficial news topic. Details ahead with added tweaks.

SageRuffin said:
- I spent a good three hours making sure my characters were made exactly to my liking. Damn right I'm gonna use them. Not to mention default John just seems "eh".
- FemShep player and damn proud, though I'll play a female in every game that gives me the option. Didn't really care for any of the romance options for my character, and only hooked up with Jacob for achievement purposes (as if the game didn't try to force you two together in the first place).
- Infiltrator for me (with Adept for the side character). Fit my character quite nicely as an expert marksman. :)
- Garrus is cool and all, but I never thought of him as the be-all-end-all greatest squad-mate. When it came to actual missions, I always used Zaeed and either Kasumi or Legion.
- I let Grunt out of his tank just for the sake of it (and because Steve Blum is awesome). The only times I bothered with him after that was his loyalty mission.
- Does upgrading the Normandy include the Med-Bay?
- I seem to lose an average of 1 person for various reasons, whether it be a bad choice somewhere or BioWare's fucked-up ass "reinvented" karma system. Although once you figure out where to put who, it makes the whole squad member choice thing idiotic.
- Cerberus may have let my characters live to fight another day, but I still say they can all suck a big one. Creepers, insane rachni, getting Admiral Kahoku killed, being a key instrumentalist for an ambush from the Collectors... it's a little hard to forgive some of those things.

And for the record, the only reason TIM went for the closing of the Pragia facility was the scientists didn't ask him first. Get the fuck outta here...
Enjoy. :p

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I did everything I could during my first playthrough, including gaining the loyalty of all the crew, upgrading the ship, and coming out alive without giving in to the Man's bullshittery.

However, I played through multiple times, and 2 of the 3 characters I have were Female, even though I'm a male player

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
My first playthrough was the same as Andy's and I romanced Tali, as a MaleShep, cheating on Liara because she was no longer the adorkable person who I loved in the first game after all the time she's spent plotting vengeance on The Shadow Broker.

For my second I made a FemiShep and did the opposite: didn't upgrade my ship fully, lost Mordin, Jack, Tali, Legion and Thane, chose the Renegade ending and generally played her as a psychotically damaged, incompetent leader.
Who totally got herself a fine piece of Jacob.

Edit: Oh and my MaleShep was an Adept, and my FemiShep was an Infiltrator.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I always interpreted this statistic as most players who create a female Shepard also create a male Shepard at some point as well, but most players who create a male Shepard won't try a female Shepard.

After playing through the game twice with my imported FemShep, I tried the male Shepard but I found him too boring, and I couldn't finish with him.

nonl33t m4st3r

Oct 31, 2009
Yeah, I screwed over TIM, and my squad survived. However, my crew became a giant slushy because I wanted to bring Legion everywhere and see everyone's reactions. :-/

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Male Shep, Fully upgraded ship, took me three playthroughs but I got everyone out alive, kept Miranda and Garrus as my primary squadmates and I told the Illusive man he could go fuck himself.