BioWare: Gamers Prefer a Manly Shepard

Orthon

Mar 28, 2009
My playthrough went like yours, Andy. Everyone's fine, alive and happy... except
half the Normandy's crew, who were made into some tasty looking Collector soup.

Doubt there's anyone here who still hasn't finished the game, but spoiler tags just in case.

I played female, actually. I think Hale's voice acting's better.

By the way, I think I'll always question Bioware on why the camera angle in that pic was neccesary. To me, it looks like some weird excuse from Bioware to their large pervert demographic for Miranda not getting naked every 12 seconds.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
I mean, there's the awkward sister event, then there's her calling Shepard skipper... I don't know.
In the Navy, the term "Skipper" is a pet name for a commanding officer, just like how she sometimes calls Kaidan "LT" instead of "Lieutenant".

Just a side note.

Buchichu

Apr 2, 2010
"As for me, I fully upgraded my ship, the whole crew loved me (even the surly one in the basement), we all came out of the Big Thrilla in one piece and let's just say I'm probably not on the Illusive Man's Christmas card list anymore. How did you do?"

^ pretty much this for me, although I'm one of the few with a female Shep as I'm one of the few females who played this.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Orthon said:
By the way, I think I'll always question Bioware on why the camera angle in that pic was neccesary. To me, it looks like some weird excuse from Bioware to their large pervert demographic for Miranda not getting naked every 12 seconds.
Yeah. I was also wondering about the "cameraman's" fixation with Miranda's sweet, sweet ass.

She also wasn't wearing much to protect herself from the cold vacuum of space. Her "helmet" is just a respirator.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Well, I personally prefer female Shepard, so much more badass sounding. I upgraded the ship fully and did all the loyalty missions, but through a poor choice at the tech expert stage, I lost Mordin. Everyone came through on the second playthrough though, so it's all fine.

It was then I also decided I would rather have preserved the Collector base. I was nothing, if not pragmatic. :)

It's just a pity it's only on my man-Shepard playthrough that Kelly Chambers is alive. :( Something that I will rectify on my next playthrough - thanks to that rather annoying Lair of the Shadowbroker Renegade points incident.

*sigh*

clockout

Jun 7, 2010
Shepard:" I could kill everyone in this room and walk away without a scratch".

Guy;: "You're insane".

I rolled with mah brother Garrus, and my bad ass robot aka Legion. I like the John Wayne approach to the game.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I can't play as male Shepard anymore. My badass with a black ponytail and black lipstick IS Shepard to me. And I do hope they take multiple playthroughs into account. I don't listen to any of that Jacob/Miranda dialog at the beginning anymore, but it would be a shame not to have it at all in the future. Ever since reading about the soldier in the last article, I tried engineer. It's fun :) I hope these statistics pick up on all the times I 'somehow' acquire 10 times more resources and NEVER scan planets. I only lost Thane the first time, I figured the first part was sneaky, not techy. :'(

Also I hope they don't do another Miranda suit in 3. That just wasn't even subtle. I know Jack is basically nude but she's showing off her ink and she's psycho. With Miranda, Bioware was just saying "hey look! ASS!" Pants do not work that way.

Legion would have been the number one teammate, hands down, if you didn't get him DEAD LAST -_- I don't know why they did that, all that dialog is still in the game too.

Who doesn't let Grunt out? Even if you never saw any of the previews or didn't know what those krogan vitality upgrades were for, what else does he do? I seriously don't know. I assume he just stays there and nothing ever happens

Also, "Firing a high impact shawt!" Garrus is still awesome

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Considering I've created about 10 Male Shepards but only ever completed the game with 1 Female Shepard... these statistics might be a little skewed. I keep TRYING To like Male Shepard, but the disconnect between his voice and his face just... throws me.

Shadowsole

May 17, 2009
Well i only just got Mass effect 2 yesterday but i can alredy assume that i'll piss off the illusive man.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
unoleian said:
I prefer Hale's voice acting. And I'm not saying that to be different. I truly do. It feels....weird playing male Shepard now. It's just not the same :-/
I know what you mean.

Played a male shep the first time. Switched for Fem Shep in my second playthrough and just couldn't go back.

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
I'm sure 50% of people found out that the game was one giant collection quest and decided to do something better with their time.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
unoleian said:
I prefer Hale's voice acting. And I'm not saying that to be different. I truly do. It feels....weird playing male Shepard now. It's just not the same :-/

Fully upgraded the ship, lost that amazing Professor on my first finish. Second finish cost me Tali.

I just can't seem to get everyone out alive. I'm still working on that one.
I hear you the male voice has wierd tone to it. Like I always feal like his voice goes high or low opposite the way I would think. That got me started on female shepard in ME1 and my canon is locked now.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
My paragon Shep is loved by TIM. After seeing no one else was getting ready for there coming doom. Better to deal with a demon then wait for the devil.

Apr 28, 2008
I played a hodgepodge of Shepards. About half are male and half are female. Can't say exactly what each one's class is though.

Through each one I always fully upgraded the ship, released Grunt, got everyone to love me, and always had everyone survive.

ShadowsofHope said:
Otherwise, nothing pleases me more than telling the Illusive Man to go and kindly fuck himself when I blow up the base he so badly wanted.
I just wish Shepard didn't use such a cliché line though. "I won't let fear compromise who I am."

Really? Out of all you could have said you pick that one? I didn't blow it up to "preserve myself as a person", I did it because TIM is a stupid ass and not much good would come from him using it.

I would have said "And let you get the base? How will that be an improvement over the Reapers? Kiss my ass." or something like that.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Female Shepard (on all of my 5+ playthroughs), 100% survival rate against the collectors so far, did vary a bit with Paragon and Renegade though.

Personally I like the voice-acting of the female Shepard a lot more than the male one, so I'm hoping Bioware isn't just going to remove the option for ME3.

Most played class for me: Vanguard (2 runs, different difficulty settings), the combination of close range firepower with that charge ability is amazing.

All DLC as well.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Fem shepard does act pretty manly too though.
I can identify better with a male character and he's a military guy.
Usually i prefer the soft druidic type as my rpg character but anythinbg else just wouldn't fit.

SplicedUp068

Jan 12, 2009
My first play through I was a male paragon biotic and had all ship upgrades, didn't loose a single member (wish I had knocked off Zaeed though) and blew the crap out of the station with max level and full loyalty of all the people under my command.

Although this is not my only Shepard, I also had a female renegade soldier, a male renegade soldier, and a female paragon infiltrator. Unfortunately these were all deleted by accident when I switched to the x box 360 slim. So that sucked, especially since they were all imports and the imports were also deleted. For the record though I do prefer male Shepard over the female.