Tomb Raider Reboot/Origin Story On Its Way

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Tomb Raider Reboot/Origin Story On Its Way

Lara Croft's next adventure will be her very, very first.

It's no secret that Lara Croft - once the golden girl of gaming - has had less-than-stellar showings as of late. Her best recent title had nothing to do with the main Tomb Raider series [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8011-Review-Lara-Croft-and-the-Guardian-of-Light], for one.

Recognizing that the Tomb Raider name hasn't been holding up so well these days, developer Crystal Dynamics is hoping for a fresh start: long-rumored series reboot [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/12/06/january-cover-revealed.aspx] this morning.

This is Lara Croft younger and less seasoned than gamers have ever seen her. The new game - titled simply Tomb Raider - will tell the tale of her very first adventure, which is less a search for ancient treasure and more a fight for survival. Or, in other words, we could just quote the press release: "After a brutal storm destroys the boat she was travelling on, a frightened young woman is left washed ashore on an unknown beach. On her own but not alone she has only one goal, to survive."

From the image we see here (Game Informer's January cover), Lara has certainly been in better shape. Consider us intrigued by the bow she's apparently wielding, though.

(Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/12/06/january-cover-revealed.aspx])

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
O_O

Never was a fan of the series 'cause of all the madness but this... me is interested.

Michael Ellis

Jul 12, 2010
Really interested in what they'll make of this, hopefully it will be of the high quality of the last few games.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Why is there a metrosexual, 19-year-old guy on the front of a Tomb Raider poster?

[sub]And why am I getting the sneaking suspicion that they're going to make her American?[/sub]

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
This better be better than Underworld. I couldn't stand that game and actually prevented my brother from completing it with a glitch.

If this is what it says it is, then I will be very interested. But if this IS her origin story and when she's a bit younger, is she going to still going to be going after the sex appeal with her "Features" or would that be considered illegal?

Calumon: She needs a wash, maybe she should use our bath Jack?

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Wasn't her first adventure already covered in The Last Revelation? With Von Croy?

I don't know... Tomb Raider's been dead to me since Chronicles.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
This better be better than Underworld. I couldn't stand that game and actually prevented my brother from completing it with a glitch.

If this is what it says it is, then I will be very interested. But if this IS her origin story and when she's a bit younger, is she going to still going to be going after the sex appeal with her "Features" or would that be considered illegal?

Calumon: She needs a wash, maybe she should use our bath Jack?
She was like 35 in the other games so I'd imagine they've stuck around 20-25.

teqrevisited said:
Wasn't her first adventure already covered in The Last Revelation? With Von Croy?

I don't know... Tomb Raider's been dead to me since Chronicles.
Reboot.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Aww... I kinda hoped they'd rework her original "Origin Story" (the plane crash in Nepal).

But hey, if this game's good, I'll be happy.

Although she'd better stay British. And as iconic as her breasts are, can we PLEASE tone them down a bit? Legend did a good job of keeping my attention away from her chest, emulate that please.

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
Woodsey said:
Why is there a metrosexual, 19-year-old guy on the front of a Tomb Raider poster?
Isn't it? A friend called it "final-fantasy-like" because it's gender-bendingly confusing. I mean, she's very pretty, but she has a jaw like Kratos.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
I'd really like to see this game do well.

When I first got a playstation as a little kid, my two older sisters went out and bought me the very first Tomb Raider game. They gave me it and watched me play it out of interest. After that the three of us spent the next few weeks sitting down and playing the game through. Then they got me number 2 and 3 and 4. After 4 we kinda started getting bored of it, but the first three managed to keep us entertained very much. So I've always had fond memories of playing those games and having fun with family, suprisingly in a single player game.

Seneschal said:
Woodsey said:
Isn't it? A friend called it "final-fantasy-like" because it's gender-bendingly confusing. I mean, she's very pretty, but she has a jaw like Kratos.
Her jaw looks rather swollen as opposed to naturally big, and you can see she's taken a hit to the mouth.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
Wow a reboot just what the franchise needed, but how did they think of it? The unconventional genius of the idea will shake the very foundation of entertainment industry.

Also, the picture made me laugh.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Seneschal said:
Woodsey said:
I can see stubble too - look at the upper lip.

SpcyhknBC

Aug 24, 2009
Does anyone else think this may just end up being an Uncharted clone? Granted if it's well implemented, it won't matter, but I can't help but worry that this is going to garner all sorts of comparisons to that series.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
John Funk said:
...a frightened young woman...
I'm suddenly very afraid we're going to get a Metroid Other M style character derailment.

I generally dislike prequels and reboots. Isn't the entire point of a continuing series that the story, y'know, continues... instead of stagnating in flashbacks and revisionism?

CharrHearted

Aug 20, 2010
So it's going to take place before her teenage years?

Great what is it tomb raider only your a toddler trying to escape a cot?

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
At least they didn't make her look like the main character of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, like a certain male protagonist of another game also described as a "reboot."

Not sure how this is going to pan out.

Kwatsu

Feb 21, 2007
The reboot intrigues me, but that cover... weird waxwork face is weird, especially her eyes. I don't care if they make her look like a sexpot, but come on, guys, at least make her look female.