Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel is Going to Be Paradise UPDATE

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel is Going to Be Paradise UPDATE

The Alien prequel has been christened Paradise, and will begin production in early March 2011.

Ridley Scott, director of the 1979 classic Alien, has been attached to "Ridley Scott's Unnamed Alien Prequel" for a while now, but we can now refer to the film by its real title. Paradise will take the Alien franchise back to its roots, people dying one by one at the hands of a big scary alien. There was talk of production being pushed back a few years, but the film is now set to begin production in early March 2011.

The shifts in the filming schedule are reportedly Leonardo DiCapiro's fault. Scott was attempting to cast the Inception actor, and was considering pushing Paradise back to accommodate the actor's schedule, as DiCaprio is already set to film a J. Edgar Hoover biopic with Clint Eastwood. The Paradise schedule as announced makes it look like DiCaprio isn't attached to the project.

In other rumored casting news, Vulture reports "Noomi Rapace has been the front-runner for the role of 'Elizabeth Shaw,' the film's main character," and that casting has stalled for the role of "'David,' who's actually an android, an earlier version of the Bishop 341-B character that Lance Henriksen famously played in Aliens." Scott was reportedly looking at Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds, Jonah Hex) to fill the role, but the actor proved too expensive for Scott's as-yet-unspecified budget.

Source: The A.V. Club [http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/12/paradise_found_ridley_scotts_a.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nymag%2Fvulture+%28Vulture+-+nymag.com%27s+Entertainment+and+Culture+Blog%29]

UPDATE:

The Senior Vice-President for Corporate Communications at 20th Century Fox has denied everything Vulture reported yesterday. VP Chris Petrikin recently tweeted [http://twitter.com/#!/20thFoxCC], "I don't know where to begin to correct what is being written about a certain Ridley Scott project...," and followed with an outright denial that the film will be called Paradise. The Playlist is calling all of Vulture's casting rumors false, but every source reporting any news on this film is citing "a source," or "an insider." It appears that no substantive news exists on the Alien prequel except that it is an Alien prequel, and Ridley Scott is behind it.

Source:The Playlist [http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/as_you_were_alien_prequel_not_called_paradise_doesnt_have_a_cast_only_one_m/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed]

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I hope Weaver will be in it (don't know how to spell her first name) I also hope they get some decent actors in this one, people who can actually act.....and I hope it will be a good movie.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
The only way this travesty of a franchse will get back to it's roots is if they get Giger back on the design department... other than that we're just going to get what we usually get.. cynical franchise dry humping.

Everything after Aliens 2 was utter tripe.. and Aliens 2 was just too action oriented to tell a truely horrible story.

More 'Alien' please.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Aliens is my favorite movie of all time, Alien was fantastic and 3 ..never happened. I hope they pull through and don't wind up making garbage like AvP and AvP:R.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Quiet Stranger said:
I hope Weaver will be in it (don't know how to spell her first name) I also hope they get some decent actors in this one, people who can actually act.....and I hope it will be a good movie.
Probably not since the prequel is suppose to be 30 years before the original alien movie.
The reason i am really interested in this is the fact that ridly scott is behind it.

Quartermaine

Nov 22, 2010
A prequel about what? I can't see how this movie would be worth watching, Alien movies have been getting progressively worse. Just give it up, leave the classic be rather than trying to reanimate its corpse!

Binerexis

Dec 11, 2009
Fumbleumble said:

Everything after Aliens 2 was utter tripe.. and Aliens 2 was just too action oriented to tell a truely horrible story.
Sorry, slight niggle here. The second film was called 'Aliens', not 'Alien 2' or 'Aliens 2'. I know, I know, this is likely to start some horrible flame war but it drives me crazy whenever I see it.

OT: I really hope this film isn't going to be the huge disappointment it has the potential to be.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Please don't fuck up. Aliens have already been ruined too much by AvP. And it's too bad Predators failed...

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
As much as I love him as an actor, DiCaprio certainly never needed to be in this film if you ask me. Not now when he's just finished Inception and about to do another film.

A friend of mine always considered Aliens to be the greatest sequel of all time, but I echo the statements of others in that the change of pace between the first and second film make me think otherwise. But I guess it kept it from being the same old stuff in a way...

I'm all for this, and despite the name of the film, I'm sure this'll be as dark and jumpy as the other two films. Or will it? Has he confirmed 3D yet? I don't think he should do it.
Quiet Stranger said:
Nah, not this one I think, it's too far back in the past. He's supposed to be making two of these prequels, so if anything you may well see her character in the second one.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
In other rumored casting news, Vulture reports "Noomi Rapace has been the front-runner for the role of 'Elizabeth Shaw,' the film's main character,"
Yes! Yes! Yes! She was soooo great in the Millenium Trilogy(a.k.a. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo).Also good to hear that Scott's going back to the roots of the first film with less action and more horror.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Binerexis said:
Fumbleumble said:

Sorry, slight niggle here. The second film was called 'Aliens', not 'Alien 2' or 'Aliens 2'. I know, I know, this is likely to start some horrible flame war but it drives me crazy whenever I see it.

OT: I really hope this film isn't going to be the huge disappointment it has the potential to be.
Go be crazy on your own time then... I couldn't care less what it was called other than it was the second Alien movie.

ninja555

Mar 21, 2009
So long as it has a similar atmosphere as Alien and Alien 3 I will see it. If it is like Aliens, then fuck it.

Also, what is everyone's problem with Alien 3? While it was not as good as Alien it was still a hell of a good movies. Aliens on the other hand is a piece of tripe.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I've always thought Alien was a better film than Aliens, so I'm delighted to see Ridley Scott back in the director's chair. Sure, it's been a long time since his masterpieces - Alien and Bladerunner - but still his name alone guarantees this will be at least ten times better than the awful AvP movies.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
The debate as to which movie is better is futile. Apples and oranges people. They both excel in their own genres. Alien is an atmospheric, claustrophobic, paranoia horror. Aliens is a fast paced, high energy, survival action pic. I love them both, and it completely depends on my mood as to which one I watch. I say, bring on Paradise, it sounds promising as hell.

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
Dirty Apple said:
The debate as to which movie is better is futile. Apples and oranges people. They both excel in their own genres. Alien is an atmospheric, claustrophobic, paranoia horror. Aliens is a fast paced, high energy, survival action pic. I love them both, and it completely depends on my mood as to which one I watch. I say, bring on Paradise, it sounds promising as hell.
Hear, hear! I don't have much to add, but I'll chime in with the crowd that enjoys both regardless.

Ridley Scott is a phenomenal director; I can't wait to see what comes of this.