Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel is Going to Be Paradise UPDATE

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
Does another really need to be made. Isn't part of the appeal of a monster movie not knowing what the creature looks like until you see the movie. That's likely why Aliens was action oriented.

I hope there will at least be new kinds of xenomorphs instead of just the human kind. Have a face hugger impregnate a snake or a bird so we can at least see some new freaky monsters.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I am wondering if this will try to recreat ALIEN 1's sense of dread and horror or if it's going the route of ALIENS and be a bit of an action flick. Either way, as a huge fan of this series still licking my wounds over AVP 1 and 2, either is good for me.

Carnage95

Sep 21, 2009
Once the movie is out, I will finally be old enough to watch an Alien movie on the big screen! Yay!

I'm looking forward to this, both AvP and Predators were alright but no where as good as the previous installments. AvP: Requiem was crap. Ridley, you better not disappoint me. I need a good film with the xenomorph(s) damn it.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I predict this movie will be considered "meh" by fans of the franchise. Scott has proven to have uneven ability to make worthwhile films and lately he seems to be stumbling. Especially when dealing with a franchise (Hannibal).

The simple fact is, we don't need another Alien anything. There is nothing else to say with the franchise. I think Ben Croshaw put it best when he said there is only one Alien plot:

Aliens are here and space marines are sent in to get killed by them and meanwhile there's some jerk who's trying to harness the Aliens by being evil and stupid.

Now, look at that. How many Alien movies does this describe the plot in broad strokes? Answer: all of them.

If they hope to do anything with this franchise, they had better change that up somehow. However, I don't know if they can change it using these creatures. I could skylark on possibilities, but it will be moot because they will not change this standard plot. Scott tend to play it safe, so he's probably not going to mix it up here.

The very idea that this is a prequel reduces my enthusiasm by the power of ten. Phrases like "going back to the roots' are a warning sign. Sadly, the resultant movie may not be bad, but by going back to the roots, it becomes diminished.

Quite a few people complained about the action orientated Aliens, and I sympathize. But it is because of the law of diminishing returns. If the first Alien sequel was more of a horror movie like the first one, the effect would have been less. Those people complaining would have liked such a sequel much less than they currently like Aliens. Familiarity breeds contempt. This is the genius of Cameron's sequel, whether by accident or design.

I suspect it was an accident. Which is why the Alien franchise has been terrible since. I have no reason to even suspect this upcoming film will make another happy accident. It sounds more like it will be remaking the original without calling it a remake to keep from pissing people off. In fact, I'll bet that's exactly what this upcoming movie is. Not a prequel, but the one thing hated even more than a prequel.

So, that's my prediction. I could turn out to be completely wrong. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
D Moness said:
Quiet Stranger said:
I hope Weaver will be in it (don't know how to spell her first name) I also hope they get some decent actors in this one, people who can actually act.....and I hope it will be a good movie.
Probably not since the prequel is suppose to be 30 years before the original alien movie.
The reason i am really interested in this is the fact that ridly scott is behind it.
So? Weaver could still be a character in it, she doesn't have to be her own character from the first one

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Thanks for the update on this guys // So who else is looking forward to these movies coming out // Also not sure how I feel about Ridley wanting DiCapiro in this movie

-M

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
the antithesis said:
I think Ben Croshaw put it best when he said there is only one Alien plot:

Aliens are here and space marines are sent in to get killed by them and meanwhile there's some jerk who's trying to harness the Aliens by being evil and stupid.

Now, look at that. How many Alien movies does this describe the plot in broad strokes? Answer: all of them.
Not at all. It describes Aliens and Alien: Resurrection. Alien3 has elements of that but not entirely. And it doesn't describe Alien, the original, at all.
Personally, I'm really looking forward to this, it has the potential to be great. And I heard some time back that Ridley Scott wanted to explore a little more of the dead navigator's race (the giant dude in the chair in the alien ship from the first movie). I loved the first and second films for different reasons and was kind of "meh" about the third and fourth.
I think there can still be plenty to say in this franchise though. I'm glad DiCaprio couldn't take part, he would have ruined it for me.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
casting has stalled for the role of "'David,' who's actually an android, an earlier version of the Bishop 341-B character that Lance Henriksen famously played in Aliens."
An android called David?, you mean like this one?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I heard they are getting Giger for design so the chances of this movie being absolutely amazing is higher.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
Ridley Scott's Alien Prequel is Going to Be Paradise

Scott was reportedly looking at Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds, Jonah Hex) to fill the role, but the actor proved too expensive for Scott's as-yet-unspecified budget.

Too expensive? To be in an Aliens flick? But you were ok with being in Jonah Hex?

Is this like when Katie Holmes was "too busy" to reprise her role as Racheal in The Dark Knight?

Whiskey Echo!!
Mythgraven

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Loved Alien and Aliens equally and it's good to see a director familiar with the franchise attempting to reboot the franchise, because arguabley everything after Aliens sucked. Aliens3 was so disappointing in that they basically took the story nowhere in the effor to make some overly-stylized and uninspiring film in the series. Alien Resurrection was just terrible, the worst of them all, even worse than the AvP movies.

I'm glad that Dicaprio is not in the movie, not because I dislike him as an actor (I don't) but because I don't think the movie would necessarily benefit from an actor who might outshine the tie to the franchise. I am also amused by the idea that Michael Fassbender would be more expensive than Leonardo Dicaprio.

Here's hoping this movie is as good as the first two movies in the franchise.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fumbleumble said:
The only way this travesty of a franchse will get back to it's roots is if they get Giger back on the design department... other than that we're just going to get what we usually get.. cynical franchise dry humping.

Everything after Aliens 2 was utter tripe.. and Aliens 2 was just too action oriented to tell a truely horrible story.

More 'Alien' please.
I agree completely.

If there is a God, this prequel will tells us more about the alien derelict from Alien: Where it's from, how it got there and how the "aliens" got onboard. This probably won't happen, but I'm still holding out for an Alien movie that takes place almost completely in the universe created by H.R. Giger.

Binerexis

Dec 11, 2009
Fumbleumble said:
Binerexis said:
Fumbleumble said:

Everything after Aliens 2 was utter tripe.. and Aliens 2 was just too action oriented to tell a truely horrible story.
Sorry, slight niggle here. The second film was called 'Aliens', not 'Alien 2' or 'Aliens 2'. I know, I know, this is likely to start some horrible flame war but it drives me crazy whenever I see it.

OT: I really hope this film isn't going to be the huge disappointment it has the potential to be.
Go be crazy on your own time then... I couldn't care less what it was called other than it was the second Alien movie.
I was being crazy on my own time, I don't really go on forums when I'm on someone else's time.

Mar 16, 2009
Excuse my French for a second: came. fucking. buckets.
I actually hadn't heard of this film (only a few rumors and that it was going to happen, like the Thing prequel) and oh my god. I come from a rare camp of people who found Alien to be one of the greatest movies of all time (top five), and thought that butthole James Cameron's (ahh now we see where my Avatar hate comes from) sequel turned it into generic action.

With Ridley Scott, maybe it can go back to being a survival horror film. Let's be honest, Aliens did nothing amazing that wasn't created by saying "let's take what happened in the first film... and add Baysplosions!" It was a good movie, but it was in a completely different world, genre, and level of quality that the first film was. Compare it to 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks to Explosions! Helicopter dicing! Michael Bay! That eye thing that was in the FIRST movie! BAYSPLOSIONS! Later.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
This first made me happy panda!
Then extremely sad panda..

I so look forward to a new Alien movie!

Tortoiseloz

Oct 20, 2009
this made me happy until I realised one thing
Predator movie this year
Alien movie next year
Game released

Meanwhile it'll be raining in that big pyramid which nobody has noticed even though it is alien technology and yet our technology works on it.

Hopefully the alien movie will be good though.

rowanfield

Sep 12, 2010
i look forward to it! but it's not a an alien film if it doesn't have sigourney weaver. i'm sorry, but it's true

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Phlakes said:
Please don't fuck up. Aliens have already been ruined too much by AvP. And it's too bad Predators failed...
Wouldnt say Predators failed... It was just "Okay".

As for Aliens... Yeah, up too 2 it was awesome. 3 was decent. 4 was complete and utter rape of the franchise.

AvP wouldve been awesome action movies...IF THEY FUCKING HAD COLONIAL MARINES IN THEM. But nooooo, they turned into boring ass meh movies.