UK Police Arrest Teen Over Call of Duty Hacking

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
UK Police Arrest Teen Over Call of Duty Hacking

A Call of Duty player is in hot water after the eagle eyes of Activision spotted him cheating.

Officers from the Manchester Metropolitan Police's e-crime unit have arrested a 17-year-old boy in the Berwick section of Manchester, UK, this week in connection with a series of denial of service attacks on Call of Duty players.

The boy is believed to have used a program he bought online, which allows the user to attack specific people or websites with a DoS attack, forcing them out of the game by flooding their IP address with pings and using up all their bandwidth. Activision spotted the boy's activities in September and contacted the police, who were then able to trace his IP address and found out where he lived. The boy was arrested under the Computer Misuse Act of 1990, and is currently in police custody.

Detective Inspector Paul Hoare said that this type of crime was not only damaging to the people and companies affected, but was often a precursor to more serious computer-related offenses. It's important to note that it wasn't the fact that the boy wasn't arrested just for cheating, it was how he was doing it that got him in trouble. Denial of service attacks are taken rather seriously by the police, although it's likely that, if convicted, the boy's punishment will be relatively minor.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-11961333]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wait... so we still can't get people arrested for aimbotting?

Well, crap.

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
DDoSing players? Some people take the quest for that "pro" kill-death ratio too far. Hope this kid's permanent record gets tagged as "petty asshole."

Nukeforyou

Mar 26, 2010
i wouldn't call a dos a hack or a cheat.. thats just forcing your opponents offline so your left with the lower skilled opposition

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
Wow, even if i don't warrant it aimbotting do not deserve cops shows up on your door.

But actually DoS in the other guy? crazy

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Zhukov said:
Wait... so we still can't get people arrested for aimbotting?

Well, crap.
Yeah, that would be too easy. Though the consensus I've heard on Aimbots was, get a riot shield and then make them burn out their ammo stockpile.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Let's hope he is innocent.
Yeah! wait what? Why? no really explain why would we hope he's innocent if he did it he deserves what he gets, if he's innocent he'll most likley get punished for a crime he didn't commit, where is your logic?

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
He should be marched out into the street and shot.

Im american. Im a pacifist. And every who knows me says im the nicest guy they know.
But anyone who ruins other peoples happy time ON PURPOSE shouldent have the right to live, let alone play a video game.

Im sorry if that comes off as mean, but im a bit old school on my feeling. A**holes should die, nice people should live, and everyone should know theyer place in the world. Mine is with the rest of the mindless drones at midlevel sales.

88chaz88

Jul 23, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
It's called innocent until proven guilty.

He is simply in custody. As far as the law is concerned, he hasn't done anything wrong. If he is convicted, then he is guilty.

Why would you want someone to be guilty of a crime? Where is your logic?
I think we're all assuming he's guilty, because lets face it, judging from my experience of online behaviour, he probably is. It's nice to know there are still some optimists in the world though.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
moretimethansense said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Yeah! wait what? Why? no really explain why would we hope he's innocent if he did it he deserves what he gets, if he's innocent he'll most likley get punished for a crime he didn't commit, where is your logic?
It's called innocent until proven guilty.

He is simply in custody. As far as the law is concerned, he hasn't done anything wrong. If he is convicted, then he is guilty.

Why would you want someone to be guilty of a crime? Where is your logic?
I don't want him to be either,
If he is guilty I want him punished,
If he is innocent I want him released

Innocent till proven guilty has no bearing on what you said, you said and I quote
allow me to highlight the part I take issue with

Why in the hell would you activley want someone to be innocent of a crime (unless of course they are related to you), also hoping for somthing won't change the facts he either is or isn't guilty.

To highlight the ridiculesness of what you said
"I hope that Ted Bundy is innocent"

Think about how that sounds for a second and you might get my point.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Glad to see someone is being arrested for being a dick. More people should be arrested for being dicks. Sure, the prisons will be overflowing with them, but the rest of the world would be so much better.

hitheremynameisbob

Jun 25, 2008
Mechsoap said:
This should be for every game with online interaction.
Technically it is - as the article says, it's not cheating that is illegal, it's the use of a denial of service attack that got the cops involved. Doesn't matter what you're doing when you use it.