UK Police Arrest Teen Over Call of Duty Hacking

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
SinisterGehe said:
Pirate Kitty said:
God no. He hasn't had his day in court. Until he does, he is innocent.

Heavens. I thought The Escapist had better common knowledge than this.
Well, how it goes here is bit different... We keeps saying that everyone is innocent until proven otherwise. In reality it goes like: Everyone is guilty until proven otherwise.

You trying to imply that your way of thinking is better than anyone else's? Bit selfish I would say.

I hope he is guilty, and gets punished hard.
Am I stupid/immoral now? Are you the great hope of mankind's kindness? Am I allowed to have my opinion about him, without getting called stupid/immoral? Because, if he is guilty, then if you have accused me being a stupid/immoral when I was right all along, that makes you stupid/immoral for saying that I am stupid/immoral. But if he is innocent then Indeed I was stupid/immoral.
Not stupid just illogical,
If he is guilty throw the book at him if not let him go hoping one way or the other won't change wether he did it or not.

Edited for absurd typos

Biffin Bridge

Jun 27, 2008
kouriichi said:
He should be marched out into the street and shot.

Im american. Im a pacifist. And every who knows me says im the nicest guy they know.
But anyone who ruins other peoples happy time ON PURPOSE shouldent have the right to live, let alone play a video game.

Im sorry if that comes off as mean, but im a bit old school on my feeling. A**holes should die, nice people should live, and everyone should know theyer place in the world. Mine is with the rest of the mindless drones at midlevel sales.
You are the embodyment of Captain Crazytown.

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
They go get the DDOSer but not the guy I ran into with a grim reaper that shoots dogs? Damn!

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Wicky_42 said:
So you wander around wanting everybody to be guilty of crimes? Do you assume that every court case should have a 'guilty' verdict? You should definitely be on a jury, lol.

You should never assume someone's guilty until it's proven. That's the entire point why we have courts and law and (unfortunately) lawyers instead of lynch mobs. You know, to weigh up evidence and make a decision based on that in a proper way, allowing the accused to defend themselves.
Ahhh. The voice of reason. How sweet it sounds to my ears.

You're not single by any chance, are you?

moretimethansense said:
Oh for fuck's sake
read this and pay attention

I DON'T "WANT" HIM TO BE GUILTY,
I FIND THE IDEA THAT SOMEONE WOULD ACTIVLY WANT HIM TO BE INNOCENT TO BE ABSURD!
So you want him to not be guilty... but wanting him to be innocent is absurd?

Logic. That is just awesome logic right there. Epic.
Read what I said you tit!

I don't want him to be ANYTHING
Wanting him to be guilty is stupid
wanting him to be not guilty is stupid
I dont know any other way I can say it, this is the simpelest laguage I can put it in, I would've though that SOMEONE would've been able to fucking read and understand a not-very-difficult-to-understand concept!

You see now you've gone and got my dander up.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
kouriichi said:

I'm American and I'm a pacifist. Everyone who knows me says I'm the nicest guy they know, but anyone who ruins other peoples happy time ON PURPOSE shouldn't have the right to live, let alone play a video game.

I'm sorry if that comes off as mean, but I'm a bit old school on my feeling.(?) A**holes should die, nice people should live, and everyone should know they're place in the world. Mine is with the rest of the mindless drones at mid-level sales.
Wow, can someone say irony? Also, fixed your post. :) I'm sure it's already been pointed out how a pacifist is not someone who actually believes this.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Zhukov said:
Wait... so we still can't get people arrested for aimbotting?

Well, crap.
Very big difference between cheats and hacks. Cheating is against the rules. Hacking is against the law. Nothing unusual here tbh, denying someone the use of a product they bought is perfectly normal to be against the law, it'd be as if someone came to your house and cut your internet cable.

Jul 13, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
It's called innocent until proven guilty.

He is simply in custody. As far as the law is concerned, he hasn't done anything wrong. If he is convicted, then he is guilty.

Why would you want someone to be guilty of a crime? Where is your logic?
Fair enough, no wants him to be guilty, and if he is proved innocent then that is brilliant, however, given the evidence and their sources we can say that odds are he is and will be found guilty of the crime, in which case he does deserve some sort of punishment, if only to dissuade him from attempting things like this in the future.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Wicky_42 said:
So you wander around wanting everybody to be guilty of crimes? Do you assume that every court case should have a 'guilty' verdict? You should definitely be on a jury, lol.

You should never assume someone's guilty until it's proven. That's the entire point why we have courts and law and (unfortunately) lawyers instead of lynch mobs. You know, to weigh up evidence and make a decision based on that in a proper way, allowing the accused to defend themselves.

Hah Kitty, the last time we were quoting each other we were at each other's throats over software piracy :p I'm afraid it would never work ;)

Dec 7, 2010
SinisterGehe said:
I hope he is guilty, and gets punished hard.
Am I immoral now? Am I allowed to have my opinion about him, without getting called immoral? Because, if he is guilty, then if you have accused me being a immoral when I was right all along, that makes you immoral for saying that I am immoral. But if he is innocent then Indeed I was immoral.
No, it doesn't. I cut out stupid since that has nothing to do with anything and by focusing on the moral, we could define your immorality as you hoping he gets punished hard, before knowing whether he's guilty or not. I will answer the questions you asked, cutting out the unrelated provocative ones. Yes, you are being immoral by the previous set definition. You're allowed to have an opinion, but if you express it, you have to face the fact that people might disagree and have every bit as much right as you do to express it.
And now to the good part, your logical fallacy. No matter the outcome, no matter if he's guilty or not, you're still immoral for wanting him to suffer before knowing for certain. It doesn't make a difference if you're right or wrong, and it certainly doesn't make him immoral for calling you immoral. That part makes no sense. If he's innocent it doesn't make you any more immoral than if he's guilty.

Pirate Kitty said:
moretimethansense said:
Oh for fuck's sake

I FIND THE IDEA THAT SOMEONE WOULD ACTIVLY WANT HIM TO BE INNOCENT TO BE ABSURD!

Yeah, that logic is incredibly flawed. Not his though, but yours. He never said he didn't want him to be guilty, nor did he even imply it. Saying you don't want someone to be guilty doesn't mean you're saying you want them not to be. Also, wanting him to be innocent is absurd if you count having any strong emotion for a complete stranger is absurd.

Anaklusmos

Jun 1, 2010
moretimethansense said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Wicky_42 said:

moretimethansense said:
Oh for fuck's sake

Read what I said you tit!

I don't want him to be ANYTHING
Wanting him to be guilty is stupid
wanting him to be not guilty is stupid
I dont know any other way I can say it, this is the simpelest laguage I can put it in, I would've though that SOMEONE would've been able to fucking read and understand a not-very-difficult-to-understand concept!

You see now you've gone and got my dander up.
I think I love you. You're just awesome.

I like the fact that as the internet becomes a larger part of everyones lives there are now laws which protect people. What was recently in a paper I read today was how they are trying to crack down on internet stalkers and bring in laws to protect those affected by said internet stalkers.

ChaoticLegion

Mar 19, 2009
88chaz88 said:
Pirate Kitty said:
It's called innocent until proven guilty.

He is simply in custody. As far as the law is concerned, he hasn't done anything wrong. If he is convicted, then he is guilty.

Why would you want someone to be guilty of a crime? Where is your logic?
I think we're all assuming he's guilty, because lets face it, judging from my experience of online behaviour, he probably is. It's nice to know there are still some optimists in the world though.
Activision spotted his registered account doing this, the police then traced this account of instance back to his IP and location.... Honestly, what're the odds he's not guilty?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
At first I was like "what?" but now I'm all like "Go UK! KILL THE PIRATES! I mean, er, modders. Same thing."

Pirate Kitty said:
Let's hope he is innocent.
Wait, what, I don't even... no seriously, what do you mean by that?

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
He so deserves that, there are always people cheating or being annoying pathetic pricks on Call of Duty. This should at least set an example for other people who like to cheat.

kouriichi said:

Im american. Im a pacifist. And every who knows me says im the nicest guy they know.
But anyone who ruins other peoples happy time ON PURPOSE shouldent have the right to live, let alone play a video game.

Im sorry if that comes off as mean, but im a bit old school on my feeling. A**holes should die, nice people should live, and everyone should know theyer place in the world. Mine is with the rest of the mindless drones at midlevel sales.
Thats not the pacifist belief, you may not like to exhibit a violent demeanor but pacifists are people who will not tolerate nor condone violence in all of it's forms. You're just someone who simply doesn't use physical violence, but that doesn't mean you're a pacifist.

RMoD

Oct 8, 2010
DoS isn't 'hacking' at all. DoS is DoS. Hacking is hacking.

Horrible error here, Escapist.