Protect Your Sensitive Ears With Bulletstorm's Profanity Filter

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Protect Your Sensitive Ears With Bulletstorm's Profanity Filter

Bulletstorm [http://www.amazon.com/Bulletstorm-Limited-Pc/dp/B003H0CBT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293119914&sr=8-1-spell], the upcoming shooter from People Can Fly and Epic, will include a profanity filter that will allow sensitive players to tone down some of the game's more "colorful" language.

All you need to know about the language in Bulletstorm is that the most recent dev diary wrapped up with the word "dicktits." It's far from the worst thing you'll hear in the game but it's colorful, creative and I think it does a nice job of setting the tone. Fortunately for those who find such things objectionable, the game will give you the option to tone it down a bit.

"Bulletstorm features optional subtitles," Adrian Chmielarz of People Can Fly wrote on Twitter [http://twitter.com/adrianchm/status/17685389863030784], "and yes, you can tone the language down if you wish so."

I have to wonder why anyone playing a game in which creative mass murder is the goal would have problems with salty dialog, but as the hilariously foul-mouthed "story and character" dev diary [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAywIcJZsuQ] shows, Bulletstorm does sometimes go a little over-the-top with the cussin'. Suffice it to say that f-bombs will probably seem horribly mundane by the time you're finished with this one.

Bulletstorm is scheduled for release on February 22, 2011, for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm assuming a gore filter, too?

Maybe Alien Hominid style! Where the blood becomes flowers!

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Ah, similar to Gears 2 language and gore filter.

Though I do find it odd that a game with such gore and violence has a profanity filter.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
'Bulletstorm will kick you in the face with awesome'

That is a brilliant line, and one I will be stealing for myself.

Turned on the GoW profanity filter for my own amusement, and may well do the same with this.

Apr 28, 2008
"dicktits"

This game is expanding my vocabulary. Whether or not its for the better is up for debate.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Distorted Stu said:
They should just re-dub it with polite British accents. For some reason the world love our accents.
Like this

Edited since this one is funnier

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Ironic, given their most recent dev diary.

They swore a lot you see, so of course that makes it edgy.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
I would only accept this if the bleeps were ALL different, followed by "*ding* ACCEPTABLE". If not, I'm sure you wouldn't be paying attention to most of these, as most of them are probably going to be drowned out by gunfire and explosions. Regardless, if I get this, I'll be playing the game with it both on and off.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Distorted Stu said:
They should just re-dub it with polite British accents. For some reason the world love our accents.
Jolly good show, old chap. Now let's all settle down for a cuppa.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
The only way this game would be worth any merit, to me, is if you can replace the blood and gore with a variety of party favors, like balloons and confetti, or candy.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
why does it look like Halo and Gears of War had a drunken one night stand and dropped the spawn in its head several times wile cursing just momments after birth??

still, aside from looks, the mechanics look fun, no chest high walls, and you can kick people in the butt!!! everyone that has played Duke Nukem 3d knows thats awesome... aint it??

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, good news for those who like their brutal gory serial killing to be entirely inoffensive.

Euphemisms solve everything, rather than have to suffer through naughty words, the happy little angels will be able to play fully wholesome scenes of purified joy:

"I'll pull your lungs out through your lower back area and make you dine on them, you particularly distinguished gentleman!!!".

As long as torturous ultraviolence isn't associated with something coarse and brutal, it's all good.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Meh, I'm not buying it because of the ridiculous over-the-top violence.

I love the irony of everyone complaining about this as if it's a new, politically correct idea. The first three "Fallout"s had exactly the same thing.

BlastedTheWorm

Jan 26, 2010
tellmeimaninja said:
BlastedTheWorm said:
That's fucking retarded.
How so? It's an option that allows people to control the more controversial elements of the game, something that's been almost universally agreed is a good idea.

I genuinely hope that they replace the words. I would love to hear one of the characters shouting "Fudge! Gosh Darn it!"
I was being ironic.

Although I would like to say. "Gad zues! Take THAT, you gentleman with an oedipus complex!"