Protect Your Sensitive Ears With Bulletstorm's Profanity Filter

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
stinkychops said:
I might do it. Swearing is usually a cheap way of appearing mature. Plus it grinds a bit.
Not to mention that all the ineffective censorship makes it a great deal more hilarious.

But I doubt Bulletstorm is trying to appear mature. Actually, I'm quite sure they're trying to be anything []ibut[/i] mature. Hence why I love it, I haven't seen a new "shits & giggles" shooter in ages. Same reason I can't wait for Duke Nukem Forever.
Exactly this... the game looks like a hell of a lot of fun without having to take things so seriously like CoD and Halo.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
tellmeimaninja said:
BlastedTheWorm said:
That's fucking retarded.
How so? It's an option that allows people to control the more controversial elements of the game, something that's been almost universally agreed is a good idea.

I genuinely hope that they replace the words. I would love to hear one of the characters shouting "Fudge! Gosh Darn it!"
You have a Samuel L Jackson avatar...And that reminded me.

Ever hear the Snakes on a Plane censor?

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
It come off as having a language filter in the first place is one of the few selling points of the game. Honestly I hate it when devs pull this and make big announcements about it.

Now I could see using a language filter on an MMO cause damn those 12 year olds have some cheeky things to say.

[small]Also "dickbutt."[/small]

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
TPiddy said:
Exactly this... the game looks like a hell of a lot of fun without having to take things so seriously like CoD and Halo.
CoD? Yeah. Halo? Ehhhh falls a bit inbetween, it certainly has serious plotlines but at least you can clearly see it's not all serius bizniz; the colour palette, the enemies, the weapons, etc. Not to mention the multiplayer, despite raging teens (I never had to deal with those, strangely enough, maybe it's an American thing?). I never understood why people blasted Halo for being so generic and like everything else. When I look at all the modern warfare shooters that have been dominating the FPS market the last decade or so, Halo sure sticks out. It's more akin to Doom than anything else.

But of course Bulletstorm turns it to 11 and is the complete other end of the spectrum. Very refreshing. I wonder where Brink, the other well-this-is-something-different FPS, falls on that spectrum. My guess is more along the lines of Halo than CoD, but not as far out as Bulletstorm.

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
CoD? Yeah. Halo? Ehhhh falls a bit inbetween, it certainly has serious plotlines but at least you can clearly see it's not all serius bizniz; the colour palette, the enemies, the weapons, etc. Not to mention the multiplayer, despite raging teens (I never had to deal with those, strangely enough, maybe it's an American thing?). I never understood why people blasted Halo for being so generic and like everything else. When I look at all the modern warfare shooters that have been dominating the FPS market the last decade or so, Halo sure sticks out. It's more akin to Doom than anything else.

But of course Bulletstorm turns it to 11 and is the complete other end of the spectrum. Very refreshing. I wonder where Brink, the other well-this-is-something-different FPS, falls on that spectrum. My guess is more along the lines of Halo than CoD, but not as far out as Bulletstorm.
Oh yeah, I'm totally with you on the Halo front. When you have a mod that causes grunt heads to explode into confetti with cheers if you headshot them, you know the game doesn't take itself too seriously :) But yeah, Bulletstorm just slapped together a loose semblance of a story, threw in some stereotypes and said, here, go to town.... adding the whip and kick to the shooter set up could make for some VERY interesting combat combinations...

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
im gonna love this game for many reasons... the ridiculous over-usage of profanity will be one of those reasons ^^

SON OF A DICK!!!

TheMoatMonster

Dec 15, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Protect Your Sensitive Ears With Bulletstorm's Profanity Filter

Bulletstorm [http://www.amazon.com/Bulletstorm-Limited-Pc/dp/B003H0CBT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293119914&sr=8-1-spell], the upcoming shooter from People Can Fly and Epic, will include a profanity filter that will allow sensitive players to tone down some of the game's more "colourful" language.

All you need to know about the language in Bulletstorm is that the most recent dev diary wrapped up with the word "dicktits." It's far from the worst thing you'll hear in the game but it's colourful, creative and I think it does a nice job of setting the tone. Fortunately for those who find such things objectionable, the game will give you the option to tone it down a bit.

"Bulletstorm features optional subtitles," Adrian Chmielarz of People Can Fly wrote on Twitter [http://twitter.com/adrianchm/status/17685389863030784], "and yes, you can tone the language down if you wish so."

I have to wonder why anyone playing a game in which creative mass murder is the goal would have problems with salty dialogue, but as the hilariously foul-mouthed "story and character" dev diary [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAywIcJZsuQ] shows, Bulletstorm does sometimes go a little over-the-top with the cussin'. Suffice it to say that f-bombs will probably seem horribly mundane by the time you're finished with this one.

Bulletstorm is scheduled for release on February 22, 2011, for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Didn't Gears of War 2 do this? And Serious Sam, but all it's filter did was make the monsters bleed flowers and fruits.

Also, sorry about the spelling. I had to.

/britishtranslation

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Oh, no! The pixellated guy I'm tearing to a million bloody bits said a BAD WORD!

Dear god, I will be *elated* when society puts on their collective big girl panties and grows out of this "curse word" idea. Words are syllables used to get across a point, nothing more. The only reason you think those words are bad is because your parents taught you that they were. Same with them.

Words are not bad. Words are not insulting. It's the idea the person is trying to get across that has any actual flavor to it.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Deep in my heart, I hope that it is truly just a profanity filter parody aimed specifically at the censorship advocates and "Think of the Children!" crowd. Style-based killing frenzy first person shooter? No motherpharmaceutical way that this snowball could in any way be inappropriate content...[footnote]Granted, it does have its uses for when there is a possibility of others walking in or being in close proximity. [/footnote]

As far as the filters themselves, I can imagine "kills" (large explosions of french fries and skittles) being celebrated as an announcer shouts phrases like "Educated!", "Drinking age: 21!!!", "Abstinence Bracelet WORN!", "We are ALL winners in the end!", "Player 2 just supported his congressional representative!" or "Multiplication Table Memorized!"

Now that could provide for some rather comical filter effects, or also have it like those Orbitz Gum commercials!

"You son of a biscuit-eating bulldog! Eat Marzipan and exfoliate, you prune-peddling, kangaroo Poptart!!!"

If the later, all games should have that as an unlockable because that would be pretty funny, particularly in serious conversations!

I just see some incongruity involved if one is playing a game like this or Gears, and yet is greatly offended by the same premise.
LightPurpleLighter said:
Oh, no! The pixellated guy I'm tearing to a million bloody bits said a BAD WORD!

Dear god, I will be *elated* when society puts on their collective big girl panties and grows out of this "curse word" idea. Words are syllables used to get across a point, nothing more. The only reason you think those words are bad is because your parents taught you that they were. Same with them.

Words are not bad. Words are not insulting. It's the idea the person is trying to get across that has any actual flavor to it.
Aptly put, as there is nothing really behind these words other than the taboos placed behind them by society. At least with games like Bulletstorm, the censorship is something you sign on for; not forced upon everyone like they are incapable twits with a 5-year old's mentality. This sensitivity becomes more prevalent in the other medium of film and, by extension, television. This I find to be a real shame; it's okay to saw of limbs in, well, Saw, but heaven forbid the children! hear the "f-word!" Filters, as with games like Bulletstorm or even better, movies on television, actually show just how silly this notion is: We all know what you mean when Actor B says "Oh salad, you son of a birch!", so is that really any better?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
stinkychops said:
Yeah, I knew it was stupid to use the word mature but I was being lazy.

I'm looking forward to this game to be honest but I prefer my immaturity to not be forced onto those within hearing range. (Less complaints) ;)
Ahhh yes, I'll have to take precautions for that too. No need for a profanity filter though, these will do:

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
better turn this on since my xbox is in my living room next to the kitchen where my mom is half of the time