Gears of War Ultimate Could Debut Kinect Functionality

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Gears of War Ultimate Could Debut Kinect Functionality

An accidental GameStop listing has revealed a new Gears of War release, but exactly what it'll feature is unknown.

Epic Games definitely has a new Gears of War Ultimate [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-2-Disc-Xbox-360/dp/B001A4MTGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293901003&sr=8-1] in its online database for a short time until realizing the mistake and taking it down.

The only details that came with the listing were that the game is related to Gears of War, that it'll be released on February 15, 2011, and that it'll cost $29.99. However, recent Gears of War news has hinted that it could be more than a compilation package.

While the most obvious use for another Gears of War SKU would be to bundle both Gears of War and something [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-2-Game-Xbox-360/dp/B002GN8HU4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1293901003&sr=8-3] Gears of War-related at the 2010 Spike TV VGAs that would "surprise people," but cancelled the announcement.

Microsoft confirmed to IGN that the listing is legitimate, saying: "We can confirm a forthcoming bundle SKU involving the Gears franchise, though this may not be the final SKU name. There are no specifics available at this time, except to say it will not involve Bulletstorm: Epic Edition [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-3-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H79C/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1293901480&sr=1-1].

If Gears of War Ultimate really does add Kinect functionality to the franchise, I'm dying to know how it'll work. A hardcore franchise like Gears of War does not immediately seem suited to the controller-free Kinect interface, though Gears of War Ultimate could be one of the Kinect/controller hybrids [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105005-Button-Using-Kinect-Hybrids-On-the-Way] that are in development.

Source: IGN [http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1142319p1.html]

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Hm...if they can get this to work correctly with Kinect, it could be really fun. Although all that ducking could really do a number on peoples' backs. Still, I think it would be a step in the right direction.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I trust Epic to make Kinect become an hardcore accesory, I hope they do it and succeed

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Why would they make it kinect compatible?! Everyone would be just ducking all the time.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
At this time, the Gears of War 3 beta can apparently only be entered by purchasing a copy of Epic and People Can Fly's Bulletstorm: Epic Edition.
Can someone please source where this has actually been confirmed?

The official wording I have seen is:
"Players that purchase the Epic Edition are guaranteed early access to the Gears of War 3 beta".
I have never seen anyone involved with Epic say that it's the only way to actually play the Beta. Not once.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Legion said:
Tom Goldman said:
At this time, the Gears of War 3 beta can apparently only be entered by purchasing a copy of Epic and People Can Fly's Bulletstorm: Epic Edition.
Can someone please source where this has actually been confirmed?
both Cliff, Epic, and microsoft has confirmed this, and i preordered the epic edition, the the store said i would get the key when i pick up the game

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Chainsaw duels. You swing you chainsaw, depending on where he swung and who swung first you can get a kill, be killed, or end up grinding against eachother (I want to reword that, but i won't, once you stop laughing you'll realise i mean the chainsaws are against eachother).

In the event of a grind, you can choose to kick out or move away. Moving away would be quick and end the chainsaw fight, kicking out, depending on who does it first, knocks the opponent to their knees for a curb stomp.

Thats what I want. It would single handedly make me buy a kinect

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Whenever there are stories about game stores being imcompetant it always seems to point towards Gamestop.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I thought I couldn't care less about GoW, but then they bundled it up with Kinect, and I found it within me to care even less.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
I imagine a family getting together to play their Kinect and then someone puts it Gears Of War.

Te-hee-hee... Chainsaws.

No idea how it'll work, really. Doesn't even seem possible.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Why do people always think full-blown gameplay interactivity when they see this? Interactive menus. Duck behind a wall and then gesture toward your selected weapon or equipment.

Sure it's fluff, but if you happen to have a Kinect and buy this game, surely you'd take advantage of this feature?

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
huh, that would be interesting

not that I'll be able to get Kinect (yeah right, a new 360 that is) anytime soon

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It would be nice if Epic updates Gears 1 with Gears 2 engine and add the deleted scene of the PC version... that said, I'm still waiting for Gears 2 and 3 for the PC.

I'm just curious to see how are they going to pull it off for Kinect.