Question of the Day, January 3, 2011

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, January 3, 2011

BioWare says that there will be more Mass Effect 2 DLC coming [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106564-BioWare-Shuts-Down-Cerberus-Network-Confirms-New-Mass-Effect-DLC] to bridge the gap to Mass Effect 3. Do you have any of the DLC already released?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Only the free stuff. That was mostly crap.

Why would I buy DLC for a game I have little intention to ever play again?

As I've said many times about Mass Effect 2:

Awesome game. Terrible RPG.

Might pick up the PS3 version when it hits $20, as some kind of giant DLC/game bonus bundle, though.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I have a bunch of DLC that I originally didn't plan on getting and ended up getting. I got all of the mission based packs and one or two that gave weapons and armour. I also have the free DLC. Others like the alternate appearance pack were in no way worth it imo.

Apr 28, 2008
A little of A, little of B, and little of C.

I have all the free stuff, Kasumi, Overlord, and Shadow Broker, the Kestral Armor pack, and the weapon pack. I also had some points to spare and got the alternate appearance pack. Mainly because it finally fixed Garrus's armor.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Most DLC has a ridiculously low playtime-to-price ratio, so I only go for the free stuff. I've got the pre-order bonuses for Dragon Age armor and some other pre-order bonus I've forgotten about.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I have all the mission DLC and most of the extra armor and weapons and stuff.

Couldn't there just be a "Yes, most of it" option?

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
All of it...Bioware owns my soul, So it kind of hard to disobey my overlords.

Must...obey...Master...Buy...More DLC...

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
My answer would also be "most if it", strange option to forget.

Lair of the Shadow Broker was awesome!

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
I've played and completed Mass Effect 1 & 2 and intend to get 3, yet I have no desire to play any of the DLC.

They just seemed like more side missions and I found them, and the recruitment missions, to be very repeative in their structure. I'd rather just continue with the main plot.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
I have Lair of the Shadowbroker, Overlord, and all the free stuff. Kasumi didn't seem worth it, I don't use weapons enough to justify a purchase for extra weapons, and I would never, ever, forgive myself if I used Microsoft points to buy costumes.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
ya i got it it was a big hassle too i wish it would have just came with the game a la fallot 3 goty edition

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

A better shooter make worse an RPG game does not - or something like that.

And in terms of choices, it's a superb RPG, it's just broken off from the stat-based crowd.

Maybe people should stop obsessing with "how much" of an RPG Mass Effect 2 is. (Yeah, I'm looking at you too you fucking Human Revolution haters - mention the cover system one more time and I'll cut your hands off.)

OT: The Liara DLC, and the free stuff. BioWare are one of my favourite developers, but boy do they struggle with their DLC - I don't think they're trying to rip people off with lack of content, they just don't know how to do something so contained, or even how much they should be doing in one piece.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
lol wow its either ALL or nothing it seems XD nice

p.s. the free stuff really shouldnt count >.<

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I have all of it, even the arguably pointless stuff. It's pretty much my favourite game of all time so I went all out with the DLC.

The Lair of the Shadow Broker was easily the best. Kasumi's was good if a little short, and Overlord was interesting but felt less important to the plot as it didn't really connect to it in any way.

Woodsey said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

And in terms of choices, it's a superb RPG, it's just broken off from the stat-based crowd.

Maybe people should stop obsessing with "how much" of an RPG Mass Effect 2 is. (Yeah, I'm looking at you too you fucking Human Revolution haters - mention the cover system one more time and I'll cut your hands off.)
Exactly. While I liked the stats-based levelling from Mass Effect, it didn't bother me that much for Mass Effect 2 when the simplified it except the implication that we are too thick to get the stats stuff.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
I'd probably get DLC for ME2 if Bioware didn't use that stupid Biopoints system for PC. Also the DLC never went on sale for PC like it did on Xbox. Not sure I want to spend $10 for a single mission when I only paid $10 for the full game.

Woodsey said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

The choices (if you're referring to the morality ones) in ME2 were a joke. They were far too black and white. Moreover Bioware seemingly has no clue what either Paragon or Renegade mean. The renegade options were pure awful though, it's one thing to play a "bad" character, it's another to play a fucking douche bag.

I hate cover based combat. It's boring as hell. I don't mind it in small doses but there needs to be something to break up the monotony, which ME2 really didn't have. As for Human Revolution, not getting my hopes up on that one.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Legion said:
I have all of it, even the arguably pointless stuff. It's pretty much my favourite game of all time so I went all out with the DLC.
Woodsey said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Exactly. While I liked the stats-based levelling from Mass Effect, it didn't bother me that much for Mass Effect 2 when the simplified it except the implication that we are too thick to get the stats stuff.
Well I think the point was that the shooting's going to be at it's best if you feel like you're doing actual damage - and it does, it makes the combat better. Alright, you can debate whether or not you prefer the heat sinks to the overheating meter, but I've yet to find anyone say they didn't prefer the actual shooting.

Mass Effect is an RPG through it's choices and dialogue; the genre's splitting into your more stat-based stuff (Dragon Age) and Mass Effect (and The Witcher 2 it seems).

Making it more of a third-person shooter does not necessarily make it less of an RPG, especially if the RPG stuff that the series was really about is better. Mass Effect wasn't exactly heavy on the stats anyway.

Lovesfool

Jan 28, 2009
DSK- said:
I have a bunch of DLC that I originally didn't plan on getting and ended up getting.
Exactly that, but only missions (and not all of them... not yet at least).

They are good at that, Bioware. The DLC has a bad enough duration / price ratio to seem expensive and not allow you to impulse buy but is interesting (and much more importantly, well marketed) enough to make you want to try out some of it and confirm / reject that the duration / price ratio is indeed bad.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
I wonder if this should have been check boxes for each, rather than the standard pick one option.