New Homefront Dev Diary Talks "Massacre Fatigue"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Homefront Dev Diary Talks "Massacre Fatigue"

The latest Homefront [http://www.amazon.com/Homefront-Pc/dp/B003Q55Y5C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294176431&sr=8-3] developer diary talks about avoiding "massacre fatigue" by focusing on the consequences of violence and trying to bring real emotion to the act of killing.

Huge body counts are a central component of just about every shooter on the market. Sometimes that's what you're after, but when a developer is aiming for a deeper emotional impact the visceral thrill of endless mass murder can actually get in the way. That creeping numbness to killing is something Homefront developer Kaos Studios [http://www.kaosstudios.com/] is trying to avoid.

"In an average FPS you'll blow through 30 to 100 guys every 15 or 20 minutes or so, and you sort of get this, what we call 'massacre fatigue' when you stop even caring, you don't even realize that you're killing humans," explained Homefront Lead Level Designer Rex Dickson. "What we're trying to do is really attach emotion to that, that... there are consequences to violence."

"Consequences of violence is something we're focusing on in the game. War is not a pretty thing and there's not always lots of positive events that come out of it," added David Votypka, creative director at Kaos Studios. "It's actually very dark and tragic and we want to show that element in Homefront that you don't really get in a lot of shooters."

It's an admirable goal and I'd love to see it happen, but pulling it off will be quite a trick. The shooter genre isn't exactly known for the emotional heft it brings to the medium and I think it's also valid to consider whether or not gamers want it inflicted upon them in the first place. If escapism is the goal, hammering on the horrors of war may not be the ideal way to drive sales.

Homefront is scheduled to come out on March 8 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Wow... I'm trying not to get too excited about this game but this seems like the FPS I thought the industry needs, one can really bring war to life without turning into a unrealistic action movie like the current trend.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Eww the graphics look bad. It all feels very samey to me but maybe they'll pull it off.

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
Hope this game turns out to be really good, but to be honest, I'll buy it either way.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
I have a lot of hope for this game. It's different and doesn't follow in the footsteps of Call of Duty. Maybe we have the next big thing on our hands?

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
At least it's not a bland FPS game... or is it just Bullshait what they're saying ?

What do you call someone who sells you something that doesn't do what they promise it will do?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Wow, you wanted the brands because it'd help the game?
Sure, and those nice lil' paychecks don't influence you at all.

But seriously, this looks like just another generic boring shooter. Ah well.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Both sides of this game are going to be great- SP and MP. SP- People thought that interactive cutscene "No Russian" in MW2 was bad? Wait til this gets more press, and they see death squads, executions, and mass graves. WTF!?! MP- Don't worry about teammates shooting you because you took the tank, you bought the tank!

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
hazabaza1 said:

I kinda thought that too about the product placement, but if the money helps make the game better, and I can call out targets that are in the McDonalds, not the Burger Town, good. It's easier. Most games, product placement takes away from the experience, but here I think it will help with the immersion because of the whole "you could've lived here" thing. I looks like they are doing it right for once.

WINDOWCLEAN2

Jan 12, 2009
Must.....not.......hope. Dissappointed....in....past....

Ahh Screw it, Yeahh I'm looking forward to it now.

Dammit.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
ravenshrike said:
Koreans? Really? the norks barely would have enough manpower to take over Hawaii, let alone any major portion of America. Clearly they plan on trying to sell this in China at some point.
no, the whole point is while the American economy continues to crash and burn, the US pulls out of their foreign bases and basically quit the job of world police,soon afterwards, when shit hits the fan in the western world, NK conquers SK(south having literally NO reinforcements) and over the next 10 years conquers many smaller asian countries like vietnam and laos and even Japan, Sadly, no more mario or Link :(
And drops a shitload of EMPs onto the US effectively, leaving them open to attack while Korea steamroles in to clear up what's left of the government, you play as a regular person fighting in the resistance and what I find interesting is that most of the resistance are regular people too and will have little to no training with firearms and will probably be unable to kill ENEMY 34 while you destroy VEHICLE 5 and kill ENEMIES 17, 22 31

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
I hope they can pull it off as I've been wanting a game with weight behind death for a long while. Super excited and I don't usually play many FPS. ^^

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
RUINER ACTUAL said:
hazabaza1 said:

I kinda thought that too about the product placement, but if the money helps make the game better, and I can call out targets that are in the McDonalds, not the Burger Town, good. It's easier. Most games, product placement takes away from the experience, but here I think it will help with the immersion because of the whole "you could've lived here" thing. I looks like they are doing it right for once.
Yeah, I suppose. If they put all advert money into game development that'd be nice.
But, they probably didn't let's be honest.