212: Destroy All Consoles

Ray Huling

Feb 18, 2008
Destroy All Consoles

Is the Age of the Console about to come to a close? According to three prominent game industry executives, all signs point to "yes." Ray Huling looks at how streaming technologies could usher in a new era of gaming.

Read Full Article

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
while this streaming thing looks cool, and has the air of enevitability about it, it has one major hurtle to get over, and thats THE IDESTRY ITSELF.

Who says the comsole companies are going to let this happen? Consoles have been the norm for decades now and if one thing that history has told us, its that humans as a whole loath to deviate from the norm. alot of people are extreamly comfortable and happy with their consols and disks. these are the people that Sony and Microsoft target, the ones between the hardcore and the casual, in that gray area that continueously spits money at them. for the sake of these people, and more acurately the revenue they generate, the big boys are going to try thier dammedest to keep this new format out of their market.

And then there is the possibility that the Gamers themselves will defeat this. It happened to Nintendo and the Wii. Everyone was pretty pumped up about the Motion Sensor technology and its aplication to games, but when Nintendo failed to meet our unyielding standards in good time, the Wii was labled a "gimik" and has been on the fall in the hardcore eye for and grey area gamers for a very long time. the only reason it still exsists is because of the casual gamers, but that fanbase has severely stunted the consoles growth from the very begining, and if Nintendo doesnt do something soon, they may even lose them...

I see a sort of "Who Killed The Electric Car" EV1 senario developing, where streaming is given its chance, and then the console companies tag team with the big name developers (shifty eyes at EA and Activision) to bring them down by burring them in obscurity. It will be up to smaller developers to band together with the new streaming technogies to beat Sony and Microsoft into submission.

I for one, am excited about this, despite the fact that i can see its inevitable failure. there is room for true greatness here, as small time developers will have a slew of new opertunities to get themselve in the eye of the masses and really strut their stuff. if streaming technology does actually prevail, there could be so many more original and fresh titles hitting the theoretical shelves of the Internet and alot more people picking them up.

I am going to sit back and root for streamers, while tightly clutching my console as insurance in case they fail.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Its possible, but not for a long while yet. Streaming one way media is slow enough, but both ways with high end graphics will ber a nightmare.
Also, the netwrok infastructure is no where large enough to cope with such demand. Disc based will carry on for a good ten years yet.

Fex Worldwide

Jul 16, 2009
Well, I look forward to playing my games with all the clarity and responsiveness of YouTube videos.

Because that's the best video streaming technology has to offer at current. And I don't see anyone producing the kind of infrastructure necessary to provide streamed HD video with less than 100ms of lag over TCP/IP anytime soon. Anything other than that is a huge step backwards in terms of gaming experience, and gamers won't go for it.

So why on earth do these companies keep getting attention? It seems absurd to me that we're reading four page articles on these con artists. There is no way for them to deliver the experience they keep waxing lyrical about, yet no-one seems willing to call them on it.

CaptainStupid

May 20, 2009
A "moneywall"? So that's what marketing scum call unbridled greed these days. Their capacity for strangling the English language knows no bounds. Just watch, "moneywall" will become the next popular weasel word, repeated everywhere by herds of media parrots who prefer not to think. Kind of like "key" is the new "core", which replaced "paradigm".

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
No, dear god i hope this does not come into act within the decade or more, not unless they work out the kinks in Streaming, if they dont the quality of games will go down significantly, and we are all use to a higher quality in our games as of late

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
I have an EGM from 11 years ago has has a similarly themed article. The article was saying that the Sony Playstation was going to destroy video games on the personal computer. The article cites games like Final Fantasy VII, Intelligent Qube, Tomb Raider 2, and Resident evil 2 being better than anything on the personal computer at the time. PC gaming had to make a comeback and it did.

In my collection at home, I have a 20 year old Game Pro where the opinion columnist was convinced that console gaming was never going to last because what was in the arcade was graphically superior in every way. Look at what happened to arcades in the mean time?

I am pretty sure there is some fanzine out there released in 1984 saying that there is no reason to go buy a console anymore because ET killed the 2600.

Fact of the matters is there will always be doomsayers predicting the end of something. I'll wait until I see it before I say yep you are right.

zoharknight

Sep 10, 2008
Personally i don't see this streaming games only thing working , maybe way later when internet companys get off there ass's and fix all the problems lately, but for now streaming is very unreliable. If you have a bad connection, like wifi or dsl or dial up and hell even broadband at times, even youtube screws up often. Nowadays huge games like GTA 4 or Fallout 3 would take hours just to stream, let alone run smooothly when they accualy get there. Not everyone has super gaming rigs. Even if they go to boxs on our tvs the net problems still exist.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
Very interesting read. I still don't believe in the OnLive hype. The technology just does not exist yet to provide an enjoyable experience for at least 80% of the time (and I would consider that the bare minimum I would be willing to deal with.) I could see it in the future though, very much, for certain games. For Free-to-Play or subscription based (like MMOs) this could work, since you have to be connected to the net anyways. For single player games though, I would not want to be unable to play during internet downtimes or when I'm unable to connect to my network. The PC/console market may shrink, but I don't think it will become entirely insignificant.

Computer-Noob

Mar 21, 2009
Fex Worldwide said:
Well, I look forward to playing my games with all the clarity and responsiveness of YouTube videos.
So long as the community and comments are nowhere near the same, I'd go with this.

Haha, just kidding. I really don't trust this idea. Companies like Sony and Microsoft wear the pants among the gaming industry for a reason: they're good at what they do. Unless the guys coming up with these new ideas are all former employees, or have ample experience, I have a feeling they have little idea of what they're getting into.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Fully agree with the title, rest of the artile is rubbish.

OnLive failed their GCD presentation by suffering from every single problem they claimed would be solved: Bad image quality, lag, input delay and choppiness.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Oh I've heard of this blasted thing before, I never caught the name of it until now, but as I said I've heard of it. Personally I don't think that the concept will work very well, like others have said before streaming really needs to be fixed before this sort of thing is really going to be able to work, I mean that sort of system can barely handle flash games, I dread to think of how it would handle something like Crysis.

Although one thing does come to mind when I think of it, and that would be the "Interstellar Bum Pirates on the Universal Overmind" gag from one of Yahtzee's videos.

Toty54

Jul 11, 2009
The reasons i think Onlive will fail are as follows:

1) To achieve HD output you must have at least a 5 mbps internet connection.
2) It will only be available in the US.
3) How good the connection is and therefore if you will have HD is dependent on how far you are. from the servers.
4) The possibility of a subscription fee might put off a lot of people.
5) Already a large amount of the gamers that inhabit the earth have dug deep into there pockets in order to buy one of the current generation consoles or upgrade they're PC.

I don't believe we're there yet technology wise maybe in 5 years this could work, but at the moment there are too many problems.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Perry calls this the "moneywall" - it keeps players away from the game and establishes a limit on revenues.
Free-to-play lets players spend as much as they want on a game. While some players spend only a few bucks, others spend thousands.
Does anyone else find it alarming that the developers are talking about making a $1000 from a single customer for a single game? Even if they aren't trying to do that, shouldn't it be alarming that they'd be ok with doing that? This design model sounds like something L. Ron Hubbard developed before he bought the farm.

I am sure that the $1000 statement was a figurative one---hyperbole if you will...

But the statement isn't vapid: it's still an accurate depiction of the design's mindset.

The article mentions Nexon: Has anyone here played Nexon games? The grind of Maplestory makes WoW look like a joke. All the game boils down to is a hook to get people playing, a mechanic that keeps people addicted, and lots and lots of things with price tags.

The result is disgusting. Hundreds of people wasting DAYS of playtime to grind out the level between 240 and 241. And all the while shelling out their hard earned dollars for non-existent clothing items to make their character look cool. Or worse: To give them an edge in their grinding. Oh, for only $20 I can get this Flaming Broadsword of +Jajillion damage.

And While one could hardly claim the Maplestory fanbase is filled with 12-year-old addicts stealing their mom's credit cards, one would also be foolish to ignore that this crack-whore reaction is relatively prevalent in the "free-to-play," medium, at least compared to the current console system. Even with down-loadable content, I haven't read many stories of kids running up several hundred dollar charges.

Sure, Onlive promises to deliver exciting things to costomers. It also promises new ways for developers to fuck us in the ass: and those new ways are harder and larger than anything that's fucked us in the ass before. Are we really going to submit to total anal domination for a tempting carrot on a stick?

I mean I already feel cheated with down-loadable content for Call of Duty, etc. I can't even imagine what onlive will feel like.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have mixed opinions on the subject.

To be honest I don't see this working very well to be honest. I, like many people do not care for the whole "free to play, but buy items to progress" model. As they even say above the idea is pretty much to break the "moneywall" and get people to pay more than the general $60 price of admission (as if DLC wasn't already doing this) that isn't going to work for a lot of people.

Consider that some of these games touting "more players than WoW!" are gaining a lot of those players from eastern markets. The Eastern and Western mentalities when it comes to such things are very differant. One of the major differances being that Westerners expect what amounts to a level playing field at least to start. Easteners do not. The "pay as you go" type format gives people with a lot of money a decided advantage in these games because they can level up faster, have better items faster, and basically buy their way to the endgame or high PVP ratings. It's also quite possible (and dare I say expected) that those who pay for content are going to "lock out" those that do not.

I think it has a lot to do with a capitolist society (everyone can advance and it's a shark race, but we have a definate belief in fundemental equality) compared to others where people are taught more to accept their lot in life, advancement is comparitively rare, and games like everything else simply represent the social order.

I also think education plays a role. While a lot of people like to say that countries like Korea, China, etc... are ahead of the US in terms of education when it comes to mathematics and such, it should be noted that less of the population is actually educated to any extent (compared to the US where most people are). Look back at things like the SARS epidemic which started with people in China living with their livestock and the scenes you saw there, along with the fact that the Chinese more or less forced their "peasants" off the streets for things like The Olympics to only put their best foot forward. Not to mention the fact that academic competitions are rigged (oftentimes having American public school students going up against those from Genius programs in other countries, as opposed to us putting our best people forward to represent the country) but this comes down to another entire discussion.

At any rate, the guy who has to chase his goat away from his computer, or can only afford to play at a local internet cafe (or Bang as they call them in Korea if I recall) has a definatly differant attitude. Spending a few bucks each time to play a game can be like going to see a movie or whatever, and it's affordable on their pay scale, and really the guy probably isn't smart/educated enough to know when he's getting boned. Not all Chinese are like this of course, but we're talking about those unwashed millions of cheap-labour factory workers that are filling out that gaming population.

Now sure, a game that gets millions of people from a larger population to pay a couple of bucks a day for something new, is going to outperform one using a flat monthly fee, a single high admission price, or both, but you have to look at the cultures who are doing that as opposed to the ones in the civilized Western World (and honestly given the conditions that lead to that cheap manufacturing and such that they exploit, I've long been reluctant to actually consider China civilized... civilization being defined by the most enlightened people on the planet at a time. Leading to concepts like Neo-Barbarism as opposed to actual Barbarism... but that's again another discussion).

I think Korea is a step up from China here on a lot of levels, but still has a lot of the same factors at play. Given that video gaming is akin to a major sport there (which I personally think is kind of retarded. If it wasn't real I'd almost suspect it was something an actual racist would have invented for a KKK pamphlet). I think it's a big deal in part because of the social structure and the amount of "oomph" you need to be able to have to
play games that much.

What does this have to do with streaming games? Well basically I don't think that the Western Market would embrace the way they want to market it, and honestly I'm not sure if I can see it working any other way. Plus developers (who are increasingly greedy) miss the entire "disc in hand" attitude of consumers. The idea that we in the US want a physical product we can keep, and the abillity to take what we see as OUR game and plug it into an old computer and play 20 years later if we get the craving. Just as many people STILL rev up their old Commodore 64s type Load "*" ,8,1 wait for it to say ready and then type "Run" and play their old games (even if they are admittedly becoming increasingly uncommon, there are entire subcultures dedicated to stuff like this and the Apple II), people want the abillity to do that with their old games. You know, when I'm in a nursing home I might just get a craving to play the original Silent Hill and not want to have to pay money again for something I already bought. :)

Generally speaking game companies are moving increasingly towards online "direct to drive" games for the PC, but I sort of suspect this is part of why Consoles are exploding.

Besides, anyone with half a brain knows that once they lock in a market they are going to want to charge that $60 admission fee and THEN charge for the content. Look at like Champions Online. They seem to want to get $50-$60 for their base software, charge a monthy fee, and then pay extra money to remain competitive. :p

Oh sure, someone out there will say that this will be great for consumers because of how it will lower prices, but even the sheeple get smart after a while (we always hope). The whole Direct To Drive thing that sold networks like Steam was supposed to lower game prices by cutting out packaging and distributers. In the end all it did was amount to you paying the same thing for a game without a physical copy, with more profits going directly to the producers and developers.

All streaming games are going to do, is be another version of "Steam". Heck, since Steam plays by the rules it isn't even a good way to get around censors and sales regions. I fail to see the point entirely from the perspective of a consumer, though I see why producers and developers who are contemplating a second Lamborgini love the idea.

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
I'm excited for lag to migrate over from multiplayer games into single player ones. In marketing terms, that's called 'synergy'.

I_LIKE_CAKE

Oct 29, 2008
Toty54 said:
The reasons i think Onlive will fail are as follows:

1) To achieve HD output you must have at least a 5 mbps internet connection.
2) It will only be available in the US.
3) How good the connection is and therefore if you will have HD is dependent on how far you are. from the servers.
4) The possibility of a subscription fee might put off a lot of people.
5) Already a large amount of the gamers that inhabit the earth have dug deep into there pockets in order to buy one of the current generation consoles or upgrade they're PC.

I don't believe we're there yet technology wise maybe in 5 years this could work, but at the moment there are too many problems.
I agree with all of your points and would like to add the prohibitive cost of building and maintaining enough server-side graphics processing power to deliver a decent gaming experience to the end user. That cost means you are looking at very large subscription fees, a definite turn off, seeing as paying a hefty subscription for a year would put you in spitting distance of the amount you would normally have spent on a console/ computer.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
Maybe it is the future, but it might have been announced too early. As others have said, streaming one way is slow, but both ways? That's a nightmare. That kind of tech doen't exist yet, or at least not on a mainstream level. It will be years before this is a possibility, and by then all interest in this project might not be there, and the idea could die before launch. For now, I'm perfectly happy with my 360, thanks.

MishaE

Jul 28, 2009
Nice piece, Ray. It surprises me that so many focus on the technical challenges and suggest that streaming video games are impossible. The technical challenges are being solved right now by the likes of OnLive, Gaikai, Otoy, and others. And the faster-internet-to-the-home issue will also see progress in the near future. The combination of more bandwidth to more homes, (relatively) inexpensive server farms, outstanding compression, and improvements in input controllers are forming and will continue to form the environment to make this possible.

The question is, as Ray points out in the article, the business model. Who is going to make this work in a way that is commercially viable? There are several more players that could be involved (see The Emerging Competition over Streamed Video Games [http://mishainthecloud.blogspot.com/2009/07/emerging-competition-over-streamed.html] for several options). The likes of OnLive and Gaikai could both be very successful with different approaches - I have a feeling there is plenty of room in this emerging space for more than one solution.