Microsoft: We Won't Abandon Core Gamers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Microsoft: We Won't Abandon Core Gamers

The Xbox 360 is doing great, and Microsoft says it hasn't forgotten who made that happen.

Kinect may be selling better than anyone - including Microsoft - expected, but anyone concerned that Microsoft will sideline hardcore games in favor of mini-game collections and shovelware may be worrying over nothing. Speaking at the Consumer Electronics Show, David Dennis, PR manager for the Xbox 360 stressed that it has no intention of turning its back on its core audience.

Dennis said that the company was very aware of the role that the core audience had played in the 360's success. Microsoft was obviously excited about the success of Kinect, he continued, but had no intention of stopping production of core games like Halo [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294405037&sr=8-1] and Gears of War [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-3-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H79C/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1294405112&sr=1-1].

Microsoft was also committed to improving the Xbox Live experience, Dennis said, both with things that users could see - like changes to how the service handled friends lists - and structural changes that they couldn't. A lot of the most recent improvements had been behind the scenes, he explained, like getting the service ready for the onslaught of activity that followed the release of Halo: Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1294405205&sr=1-1] and Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1294405183&sr=1-1].

Of course, even despite Microsoft's assertions, not every every Xbox 360 owner will be convinced that core games won't become a secondary priority. But regardless of what Microsoft may say, the numbers make supporting the core audience pretty much a given.

With an install base of 50 million consoles, and at most eight million Kinect users, it doesn't make a lot of sense for Microsoft to snub nearly 85% of its audience, and especially not to court a pool of users who tend to buy fewer games anyway. Even as Kinect becomes more common, there's still plenty of money to be made from core games, and it's very unlikely that Microsoft, or any other publisher for that matter, is going to turn its back on that.

Source: IGN [http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1143009p1.html]

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Microsoft was obviously excited about the success of Kinect, he continued, but had no intention of stopping production of core games like Halo...
NO, NO, NO. The Halo franchise has ENDED. Quit while you're only slightly behind Microsoft.

Though its nice to see that I won't have to constantly jump around to play a game in the future. I have no wish to break my knee again, or hit my head on my low hanging lamp again... >.>

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
Though most of this is great news....

Logan Westbrook said:
but had no intention of stopping production of core games like Halo [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294405037&sr=8-1] and Gears of War [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-3-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0H79C/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1294405112&sr=1-1].
...They're gonna make another halo....
Still I can't wait to use Kinect to play core games.

Edit: Damn ninja'd

Player Two

Dec 20, 2010
I had a small giggle over the term 'Won't Abandon Core Gamers'. This implies that they haven't done it yet. Still, even if I don't own a console, I'm glad they aren't following in Nintendo's footsteps and deciding that motion-sensitive casual gaming is the 'future'.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Love from Core Gamers is fickle and mercurial. When the next Gears comes out, they'll be on Microsoft's side, when the next dance game for Kinect comes out you'll hear a lot of 'I knew this would happen, they're forgetting about us, sell out corporate whores.' So I wouldn't worry about it.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I have a feeling that Microsoft will just basically develop for the Kinect.
It's gonna happen with the Move too, which pains me pretty bad.
They can say they'll keep making CORE games, and they just might...only the really, REALLY popular ones the CoD and Gears.
Make another Halo game and they should be struck down.

Video Gone

Feb 7, 2009
Good to see they won't abandon us "Sweaty 30 year olds in Metallica t-shirts."
Also, I'm not sure that Halo and CoD are really core titles. Lots of people I know pretty much just play CoD or Halo. They're not big gamers or anything. It's more like "Hey, I have to go, my show's on TV". It's "Their game".

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say anything about CoD or Halo though, because I have quite a lot of long-standing pet peeves about those games.
Some of those peeves are purely localised to the fanbases of those series though, so I guess I am allowed.
Take that... Myself.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
poiumty said:
Hey, remember all that PC love Microsoft promised us?

Remember how that ended?
My thoughts exactly. The stories are rather similar; "We won't ignore the people who kept gaming alive just because we have a new audience." Don't worry guys, you can totally take Microsoft at their word on this one. They love smaller audiences with higher standards. Scout's honor.

brumley53

Oct 19, 2009
I find it funny that to be a "Core gamer" I have to only play re-hashed shooters. I always thought I was a die hard gamer because I play RPG's, FPS, Adventure games and most other genre's. Thanks for setting me straight Microsoft.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Didn't they say 2011 was all about Kinect? That's not exactly 'core'. I'll just patiently wait and see what Rockstar has up it's sleeve, and enjoy my backlog when the shovelware storm comes a-blowin'.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Kinect = Money

Kinect = Fame

Fame + Money = Whores...

We all know how this works!

GO FOR THE WHORES!

Wont we get sick of repeat CoD/Halo/GoW games...?

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
Anyone else noticed, how the article, went from "core gamers" to "core games", as if those were the same things?
-.- *facepalm*

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Player Two said:
I had a small giggle over the term 'Won't Abandon Core Gamers'. This implies that they haven't done it yet. Still, even if I don't own a console, I'm glad they aren't following in Nintendo's footsteps and deciding that motion-sensitive casual gaming is the 'future'.
I said it before and I'll say it again. Motion control is the future because it will slowly develop into complete VR and they need to fund the research somehow. Besides, with all of the Kinect hacks out there MS is bound to find one programmer that can code half decent and has good ideas to help advance this technology. That's the upside of people hacking your system, competence tests.

Motion gaming is a stepping stone to what most everyone agrees is the future, you just can't see the forest through the Wiis.

Ashadow700

Jun 28, 2010
Yay, more shooters... not that I think there is anything wrong with shooters, but I think you might want to look up what core gamers play besides those Microsoft.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
right because releasing a new call of duty, halo, and gears of war means you're still meant hardcore
...seriously we all know that you're turn the 360 into a controllerless wii and same goes for ps3 only difference is a new CoD, halo (god hope not), and GoW game coming out every so often