Rumor: High Definition Metal Gear Solid Trilogy Coming to PS3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: High Definition Metal Gear Solid Trilogy Coming to PS3

Tactical espionage action may soon look better than ever before, if rumors regarding Metal Gear Solid remakes are true.

There are rumblings that Konami has plans to join Sony and Ubisoft in re-releasing some of its classic games on the PS3. The rumor mill suggests that Konami is getting ready to give the first three Metal Gear Solid games a coat of high-definition paint and put them in front of a new audience.

The original Metal Gear Solid appeared on the PS1, while its sequel, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, and its prequel, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater appeared on the PS2. If HD re-releases really are coming, the improvements for the latter two games will likely include upscaled graphics, increased frame rates, and anti-aliasing, much like the God of War or Prince of Persia re-releases.

Gettting the original Metal Gear Solid up to HD quality - as nebulous a term as that is - may require a little more work, however, as its graphics are older and much less detailed. With that in mind, it's possible that the 2004 GameCube remake, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, may be a better place to start than the PlayStation version, although there's all sorts of things that may complicate that, from coding differences to issues over porting what is essentially a Nintendo game to a Sony platform.

Beyond the hint that they might exist, there's no other details about the re-releases. What seems most likely is that Konami will stick all three games on a single blu-ray disc, although digital releases are also possible. I will admit that I'm hopeful that this rumor proves to be true, partially for the Metal Gear Solid games themselves, and partially in the hope that Konami might then decide to do the same thing with the Silent Hill series.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/284819/news/metal-gear-solid-hd-trilogy-coming-to-ps3/?attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
I've always been a Metal Gear fan, but they better be choc full of knew content and improvements to make it worth the buy.
After all, I've got 3 perfectly fine copies of them already.

Jul 22, 2009
They could at least try and release some stuff like this on 360...

Ah well, I'm not too fussed. I might have bought it on 360 if just for some nostalgia but I have way too many backlogged games as it is...

I'll just play some more Fallout.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
Wouldnt mind having Twin Snakes on PS3, even though i prefer the PS1 version.

Dak_N_Jaxter said:
I've always been a Metal Gear fan, but they better be choc full of knew content and improvements to make it worth the buy.
Then its not for you. These HD releases like God of War, Sly, PoP, only come with..well, HD resolution, 60FPS, and Trophies, nothing else.

But its not like you must buy everything thats MGS.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
Verkula said:

Dak_N_Jaxter said:
Then its not for you. These HD releases like God of War, Sly, PoP, only come with..well, HD resolution, 60FPS, and Trophies, nothing else.

I know that's been the norm thus far, but most collections I've bought have had a couple of extras that weren't on the original copies. So I'm not ruling it out as a possibility that Hideo could have some quirky add ons in store.

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
I actually wouldnt mind to be able to play the original Metal Gear Online again that came with MGS3: Subsistance. Loved that.
But i doubt that will ever happen.

DrRockso87

Jan 21, 2011
Dak_N_Jaxter said:
Verkula said:

Dak_N_Jaxter said:

I know that's been the norm thus far, but most collections I've bought have had a couple of extras that weren't on the original copies. So I'm not ruling it out as a possibility that Hideo could have some quirky add ons in store.
Indeed. The Sly Cooper collection added mini-games and a teaser trailer for Sly 4, whereas the Team Ico collection is apparently the European release which has multi-player and the original, "real" ending according to the director.

This is awesome. I just hope that Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes in HD is the game they add to the collection. I love the original Metal Gear Solid and would purchase it on the Playstation Store if they give us Twin Snakes. It's just, HD won't do much of anything for a PS1 game.

A bonus for this collection would be if they included the original Metal Gear games. I heard they included the first one in MGS3: Subsistence. Besides, Kojima loves filling up blu-ray discs so why not give him more to fill it up with?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I've always wanted to play the MGS series. Downloaded 1, but my PS3 isn't backwords compatible, so allI have to say about this is:
PLEASE LET IT BE TRUE!

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Part of me is hoping that they're remaking them all in the MGS4 engine, but the rest of me knows that's extremely unlikely. A man can dream though :D
Mr. Omega said:
I've always wanted to play the MGS series. Downloaded 1, but my PS3 isn't backwords compatible, so allI have to say about this is:
PLEASE LET IT BE TRUE!
Even if you had backwards compatibility, MGS3 runs like crap on the systems that use software-based BC. Only US and JP launch PS3s are any good for that game. That's the biggest reason I'm excited about this, actually, is because my 80GB model has all sorts of framerate issues on MGS3.

Also, I will be truly overjoyed if they include the extras that came with the Substance/Subsistance editions, particularly the MG1&2 remakes. Again, unlikely, but again, a man can dream :D

P.S. Thanks

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Well my experience with these HD collections has been hazy at best. God of War didn't look any better, Prince of Persia looked (and for me sounded) worse somehow and then you get the Sly Trilogy which was sheer liquid awesomeness. So yeah, I think a decent HD sprinkle of Metal Gear Solid would be great. Now I am depressed because I just realised half my PS3 collection are just PS2 titles....hmmm...

EightGaugeHippo

Apr 6, 2010
Damn, I bought a 360.
Not regreting it though. Just wish I had a chance to play MGS3 one more time, since they didnt release it for the PC.

HankMan said:
Konami: High Definition
Snake: High Definition?
Otacon: Its simple snake, its like standard definition is a tank and high definition is a WALKING TANK WITH NUCLEAR CAPABILITYS!

Brok3n Halo

Jul 5, 2009
I'd probably drop some money on these again. Never did get the play the rerelease of MGS3 with the new camera and stuff. Here's hoping they through original two MG games on there too, I never did play those much.

EightGaugeHippo said:
Damn, I bought a 360.

HankMan said:
Konami: High Definition
Snake: High Definition?
Otacon: Its simple snake, its like standard definition is a tank and high definition is a WALKING TANK WITH NUCLEAR CAPABILITYS!
Snake: WHAT!? METAL GEAR!?

Otacon: Snake? SNAKE!? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Lem_Gambino

Mar 17, 2009
SalamanderJoe said:
Well my experience with these HD collections has been hazy at best. God of War didn't look any better, Prince of Persia looked (and for me sounded) worse somehow and then you get the Sly Trilogy which was sheer liquid awesomeness. So yeah, I think a decent HD sprinkle of Metal Gear Solid would be great. Now I am depressed because I just realised half my PS3 collection are just PS2 titles....hmmm...
I have like, 20 PS2 games and like 5 PS3 titles. XP

I agree with you on the Sly Cooper thing, if they can make compilations like that one, then they can make an MGS collection as well. ^_^

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Mr. Omega said:
PLEASE LET IT BE TRUE!
But... all PS3's are backwards compatible with PS1 games... region lock is the only thing I could think of that would stop you.

OT: YYYEEEESS YES YEEEESSSSSSSSS.
Fucking yesssssssssss.
Please let this be true... and please let them be the Substance and Subsistence versions...

And, for the love of all that is Loli, let it include Metal Gear 1 & Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake.

Aug 25, 2009
If they put it on the 360 I might actually be interested. MGS was one of my first games, and I never even got round to playing MGS2 or 3 because when they were released I didn't have a PS2, and now I can't be arsed to try ad hunt down these pretty old games.

That said, I also hope that if they did re-release them and update them, they wouldn't do a Twin Snakes thing and change the voice acting etc, because I saw some friends playing that and it looked pretty crap overall.