Marvel Changing Captain America Movie Name for Russian Release

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Marvel Changing Captain America Movie Name for Russian Release

Insiders say that the change is motivated by marketing, and not politics like some might assume.

The Captain America film will get a little tweaking in the name department before it hits Russian movie theaters. The movie's full title is "Captain America: The First Avenger," but in Russia, the words "captain" and "America" have been given the boot, and the movie will just be known as "The First Avenger."

People involved with the name change - which also applies to the Ukraine and South Korea - have made it clear that it is motivated by marketing and brand awareness, and not politics.

According to insiders, there was some concern that the Captain America name didn't have as much recognition internationally as other Marvel characters. The company was pleasantly surprised to discover however, that that wasn't the case in most places in the world, and that it only needed to change the name in three international markets.

The change has garnered some support, perhaps most notably from X-Men: First Class director Matthew Vaughn. He thought that dropping Captain America from the title was a good idea but wondered if it might need to be more widespread. "It's going to be interesting to see how the movie does internationally with that character's name," he said.

While politics may not have motivated the movie's name change, it's clearly something that director Joe Johnston has taken into consideration. According to Johnston, the script makes it very clear that Captain America is not a "jingoistic American flag-waver," but rather just a good guy who is given extraordinary abilities.

Captain America: The First Avenger opens in theaters in July.

Source: Hero Complex [http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/01/21/captain-america-title-will-be-changed-to-the-first-avenger-in-russia-south-korea/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Sure...

And he'll still be Cap in the film itself, right?

It's not like they are changing his name, just the movie title.

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
this makes me smile, especially when they say "not politics" i mean come on russia and S.korea?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah, not motivated by politics my ass.
Cap is a patriotic symbol yes, but he has a dignity about the whole thing. He's not the flag waving "'Merica YEEEEEAAAAAAH!" type.

Oh well, it's not like his costume won't give away who he is anyway.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
I'd prefer them dropping Captain America altogether. If it's one thing the world doesn't need it's a stupid patriotic action hero spreading the oh-so holy american way of life.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I'm calling BS on the whole "Not motivated by politics" thing, like every single poster before me. It's just too obvious.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Spoon E11 said:
this makes me smile, especially when they say "not politics" i mean come on russia and S.korea?
You know S.Korea is one of the USA's staunchest allies? I don't think it's a political problem there.
Quiet Stranger said:
Not recognizable enough??? I thought Captain America was one of Marvel's most identifiable heroes!
Yes and no, Wolverine and Spiderman have always been the most popular marvel characters. The avengers themselves while relatively popular have never really been able to beat (until recently) the X-men as the flagship comic of marvel.
The Imp said:
I'd prefer them dropping Captain America altogether. If it's one thing the world doesn't need it's a stupid patriotic action hero spreading the oh-so holy american way of life.
If ever read comics, you'd realise Captain America isn't like that (ignoring alt univere Ultimate Cap).

What alot of people who don't read Cap and aren't familiar with him misunderstand, is that while he's Patriotic, he is not Nationalistic. His allegiance is to the people, not a government or a particular regime, he's stopped wearing the costume twice in protest and openly fought his government before. He's not a Boy Scout; he's a soldier, he will kill for the greater good. Alot of folks equate him with this 'aw shucks apple pie and baseball' kinda guy, and while that's somewhat true, the 40s are not how they were romanticized in movies and later on television. These were a tough, hardy people; an entire generation of men who went to war and one of women who stepped into a man's shoes for the first time. Captain is that unthawed and thrust in the world of tommorrow. The best thing is that as time passes his origin gets more powerful, as his ideals are seen as more outdated and the world get stranger.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
The Imp said:
This would be the same Captain America who has, at various times, ditched his name and costume because he was ashamed of his country? Yeah, that really supports the whole "America rules!" idiocy.

IIRC, this movie is set in World War II. You know, the last war where America could legitimately claim to be the good guys. Given a choice between Americans values and Nazism, I know which way my bread is buttered...

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
I actually like the name they're going to use for the other places more. "The First Avenger" sounds cooler for some reason than, "Captain America:The First Avenger"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Puddle Jumper said:
The First Avenger ... The Last Airbender ...
I think you're on to something. They should call this "Avatar: The First Avenger."

Anyway, I'm not sure what changing the name will do.

Since he's still, you know...Captain America.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"Captain America" is a painfully stupid name, regardless of the character its applied to. Makes me think of the guy from Generation Kill, rather than a superhero. Doesn't help that Captain America is a bit obscure...probably hasn't been marketed much outside the US for obvious reasons.

WolfThomas said:
Spoon E11 said:
You know S.Korea is one of the USA's staunchest allies? I don't think it's a political problem there.
Lots of people don't know the difference between North Korea and South Korea. Presumably they don't own any electrical appliances, or live near automobiles.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
When I first saw this I was like 'So whats it called? Captain Russia? Is he going to be fighting the Blue Skull or something?' all in all, quite retarded for my first thoughts.

Anyway i see why the change would be nessesary for former soviet states, as most of them hate Americans like the green party hates tanks.

thaluikhain said:
"Captain America" is a painfully stupid name, regardless of the character its applied to. Makes me think of the guy from Generation Kill, rather than a superhero. Doesn't help that Captain America is a bit obscure...probably hasn't been marketed much outside the US for obvious reasons.
The Cap is 70 years old as a character. His creation was geared around getting America to think the Nazis were nothing. Hell his first comic cover had him punching Adolf Hitler in the face.

If youre wondering im European.

Keith K

Oct 29, 2009
How can brand awareness be an issue if the solution is to remove the brand name?

Excuse me?

Politics is clearly the only factor here.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
To be fair, as a British person here looking at Captain America, he does seem like a very US-centric character, (duh :p), which makes him less appealing than some other superheroes like Superman, Iron Man etc (even though they too are very 'American' in the films and stuff)... he's certainly less well known than such characters, so I can understand the change in title.

edit: also, so what if politics is the motivation here? Does that make is a bad thing if they're trying not to offend people? (though I'm not sure how they could offend people with the 'Captain America' title, I'm sure its possible :p)