214: Sex and the Single Player

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
That was a very nice read, and I'm glad I read it.

I'm gonna need all the advice I can get.

Samantha Xu

Apr 17, 2009
Awww, Russ what a cute story! I met my boyfriend at a game convention as well. Maybe if I'm lucky we'll get married. :)

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I'd happily bet the two Russian women were trannies and your friend said the only thing he could.

Guilen-

Mar 14, 2009
Doesn't seem grim at all, it's really entertaining :) what a great story

I think it's really encouraging, frankly. Gamers are one of the only groups of people that quite adamantly gets told to stop being who they are, and finding love within that world is reaffirming from a perspective of identity, really. Way to be :)

Osloq

Mar 9, 2008
Michael_McCloud said:
HardRockSamurai said:
Considering the fact that male gamers outnumber female gamers ten to one, actually managing to marry one must be some kind of achievement.
Achievement Unlocked: She's Actually In This Castle (10,000)
Marry a female gamer.
Rofl well done

Great read. It's these stories that inspire me to look for a girlfriend who's into games. It could happen >.>

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
This was an enjoyable article to read.

Though I have to mention as a gamer who is a musician, the vast majority of musicians I meet are gamers as well. Fortunately they're also usually guys.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
....... OOOH, THE ENVI...

my wife hates my games...

now you made me cry...

ryuutchi

Apr 15, 2009
dochmbi said:
Well, if you don't want a relationship with someone who will constantly demand things of you and hold you to a high standard, you need to find someone who has a low sexual economic market value, i.e. a fat and ugly person, which is exactly what my strategy is. Makes sense to me cause I'm a low-value male myself and I wouldn't have the purchasing power to go for something better.
Or you could try not using economics as a basis for a relationship. People generally don't like to think of themselves as commodities to be bought and sold. And additionally don't like people who interested in dating them to think that they are ugly.

In other news: Awesome article. Relationships often occur because of chance events, and weird coincidences-- good relationships even more so. I'm glad you found someone who understands you, because that's the best basis for a relationship.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
ryuutchi said:
dochmbi said:
Well, if you don't want a relationship with someone who will constantly demand things of you and hold you to a high standard, you need to find someone who has a low sexual economic market value, i.e. a fat and ugly person, which is exactly what my strategy is. Makes sense to me cause I'm a low-value male myself and I wouldn't have the purchasing power to go for something better.
Or you could try not using economics as a basis for a relationship. People generally don't like to think of themselves as commodities to be bought and sold. And additionally don't like people who interested in dating them to think that they are ugly.

In other news: Awesome article. Relationships often occur because of chance events, and weird coincidences-- good relationships even more so. I'm glad you found someone who understands you, because that's the best basis for a relationship.
http://www.csom.umn.edu/Assets/71503.pdf

A heterosexual community can be analyzed as a marketplace in which men seek to acquire sex from women by offering other resources in exchange. Societies will therefore define gender roles as if women are sellers and men buyers of sex. Societies will endow female sexuality, but not male sexuality, with value (as in virginity, fidelity, chastity). The sexual activities of different couples are loosely interrelated by a market-place, instead of being fully separate or private, and each couple?s decisions may be influenced by market conditions. Economic principles suggest that the price of sex will depend on supply and demand, competition among sellers, variations in product, collusion among sellers, and other factors. Research findings show gender asymmetries (reflecting the complementary economic roles) in prostitution, courtship, infidelity and divorce, female competition, the sexual revolution and changing norms, unequal status between partners, cultural suppression of female sexuality, abusive relationships, rape, and sexual attitudes.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
A few things popped into my mind when I began to read this article. The first was "Five pages? Jesus Christ!". As I kept reading, the second thought emerged; "Dude, this is the most depressing sexual memoir I've ever read."

Admittedly, the first three or so pages are pretty grim, but I'm glad it finished up with a happy ending. Considering the fact that male gamers outnumber female gamers ten to one, actually managing to marry one must be some kind of achievement.
I found ending depressing too, because for me, I'll never be famous enough to pull that off, and on top of that, finding a gamer convention over here (the UK) is pretty damn hard.

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
So, all you got to do is work for a company that involves games, and then gamers chicks will flock to you? Ahh now I get it, nice work!

ratchet573

Apr 17, 2009
This could be expanded into a romantic comedy...only if it were a romantic comedy it would be funny.

Nice job man, I'm trying to score with a video game playing girl but my idea of games needing to have more than sexually confused teenage boys fighting against sexually confused twenty year old men seem to go over her head.

ryuutchi

Apr 15, 2009
dochmbi said:
http://www.csom.umn.edu/Assets/71503.pdf

A heterosexual community can be analyzed as a marketplace in which men seek to acquire sex from women by offering other resources in exchange. Societies will therefore define gender roles as if women are sellers and men buyers of sex. Societies will endow female sexuality, but not male sexuality, with value (as in virginity, fidelity, chastity). The sexual activities of different couples are loosely interrelated by a market-place, instead of being fully separate or private, and each couple?s decisions may be influenced by market conditions. Economic principles suggest that the price of sex will depend on supply and demand, competition among sellers, variations in product, collusion among sellers, and other factors. Research findings show gender asymmetries (reflecting the complementary economic roles) in prostitution, courtship, infidelity and divorce, female competition, the sexual revolution and changing norms, unequal status between partners, cultural suppression of female sexuality, abusive relationships, rape, and sexual attitudes.
Just because you can, and just because some researchers have, doesn't mean you should or that any person you want to date will be appreciative of being considered of "low value". See, there's this thing called "respect", that most people really like their prospective partner to have for them...

Also, LOL thinks that a "low value" woman wouldn't demand things or hold you to a high standard-- you do know how relationships work, right? A partner asks things of you, and holds you to exactly the standard that s/he wants to hold. Possibly she won't hold you to Chris Pine's physical standard but there are other things to expect of your SO.

Stealthbg

Aug 13, 2009
First, aparently even e-mail travels slow from the Land Down Under. I registered specifically for this thread and the confirmation mail arrived like ten hours later.

Secondly, the reason why I signed up was to ask this - man, why do you gotta tease like that? You know that a gamer girlfriend is the dream companion of every nerd^H^H^H^Hfellow gaming enthusiast. Not that I have something against the article, it's a good read, but that was a blow below the waist mate...

Third, The Escapist is apparently huge in Australia. I mean, like Metallica huge. I too work for a tech website (albeit in a small Eastern European country you probably haven't heard about) and the best I can hope for is to be admitted on the "real" journalists table at the reception after an expo. Being approached by women though, because of the job? Never.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Or: If a woman would like to marry a gamer, she'd better start gaming too. [sup][1 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.130085]][/sup]

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
Cilliandrew said:
Hmm....i'm surprised i'm the only one with THIS outlook: I could never EVER live with a woman who was into gaming like i am.

I don't know what it is.. Something about the personality of the female gamers i've exerienced. I find they just completely rub me the wrong way. Alot of the female gamers i've met are gaming simply because it's a new way for them to try to find the attention in the virtual world that they aren't getting in the real world, imo, and it annoys the heck out of me.

Case in point: i'm playing WoW. I group up with a priest. We do a couple of quests together chatting all the way. Suddenly the priest announces "i'm a chick, ya know." I'm like: okay great! She posts a link to a pic of her. I say "oh, gee, thanks!" She asks "so what do you think? Am i cute?" At this point i'm thinking is she hitting on me? Is this a dude pretending to be a chick? What?

So i say "yeah, sure, you're cute." and she says "well, i'm married."

So i'm like "uh...congratulations?" Seriously, was that really necessary? Fish for attention much? I've played with a couple of people claiming to be lady-gamers who were like that.

I find that personality incredibly annoying. And i tried dating a couple of women into gaming because i subscribed to the whole "find someone who is into the same stuff you are" thing, and all those relationships ended very poorly.

I married a girly-girl who was a non-gamer (outside of the occassional Dr. Mario/Tetris binge) and i truly couldn't be happier.

Yes i had to curtail the gaming JUST a tad (mondays, wednesdays and saturdays are the evenings i devote to gaming), but overall i can't complain. At least it insures that i do have something in my life that i can do JUST for me.

Not to say that i haven't come across a couple of lady-gamers who weren't pretty cool. But they are a substantial minority.
This is essentially my experiance with female gamers verbatum. Most of the time you can see them trying to play 150 guys at the same time, convicing each one to buy her the latest epic she needs.

I'm very happily married to a non-gamer.

On how you met your wife though, it's amazing what little coincidences that life brings about that can change your entire life.

JackiJinx

Jul 31, 2009
I can agree on the point of needing to date a fellow gamer. My last boyfriend was only somewhat into video games and he even kept a few systems in his room. But he always thought I loved video games more than him. He actually said that. And although he never said that as a reason for us (mutually) breaking up, I know it had to be at least partially due to my gaming. He barely ever wanted to use his 360 and would only touch it at my insistence. How lame is that?

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Sadly, it's not just finding a gamer, but finding the right type of gamer aswell.

Just as I'm ready to give up on humanity, something like this happens and that little shining light of hope just comes back into reach. Maybe the future isn't as bleak as I think it will be?

Well here's to hope... and maybe, just maybe... the best shot in a lifetime.