Dragon Age 2 DLC Will Keep the Focus on Hawke

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Dragon Age 2 DLC Will Keep the Focus on Hawke

Feedback from players caused BioWare to reconsider how it handled DLC for Dragon Age 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0047TG2R0/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1296662141&sr=1-1].

The downloadable content for the first Dragon Age put us in the shoes of an apostate witch who lived in a forest, a travelling bard, and a novice Grey Warden, although not the same one as in the main game. For the sequel, however, the focus will remain squarely on the main character Hawke.

Dragon Age 2's lead designer, Mike Laidlaw, said that BioWare had plans to support the sequel with new content in the same way it had done with the first game. What BioWare wasn't going to do, however, was change the character that people played between different pieces of content. Laidlaw said that one of the most common bits of feedback that BioWare had received from players was that they wanted to play and progress the same character throughout their entire experience. He added that it was a request that BioWare had been happy to fulfill.

It's not hard to see why people might want to stay as the same character; after spending dozens of hours building Hawke's history and personality, you get more than a little attached. Hopefully though, we'll still get the chance to learn more about the world and characters of Dragon Age. BioWare always puts an amazing of effort into the backstory for their games, though, and there's potentially hours of enjoyment to be had exploring the world it made.

Dragon Age 2 comes out for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC on March 8th in North America, and on March 11th in Europe.

Source: Games.On.Net [http://games.on.net/article/11498/Exclusive_Interview_Dragon_Age_2s_Lead_Designer_Mike_Laidlaw]

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
Witch Hunt was probably what made them reconsider their DLC structure. Never really did like leaving my character in the first game.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Players of Dragon Age 1 wanted to continue their character. As they are now playing as Hawke, rather than someone they made them self I'm sure a few would be eager for a change.

Is Hawke always male or will there be a fem-Hawke? I'm pretty sure there will be as I can't see them taking a step backward from the Mass Effect system but I just realised I've never seen an image of fem-Hawke.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Did they learn that we don't want paid DLC on launch day. DLC that is pretty much vital. DLC like a STORAGE CHEST????

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Actual said:
Players of Dragon Age 1 wanted to continue their character. As they are now playing as Hawke, rather than someone they made them self I'm sure a few would be eager for a change.

Is Hawke always male or will there be a fem-Hawke? I'm pretty sure there will be as I can't see them taking a step backward from the Mass Effect system but I just realised I've never seen an image of fem-Hawke.
They've said previously that there will be a Ladyhawke option, but nonetheless I'm reserving judgement until I see screenshots as well.

EDIT: Works for me! Thanks everyone!

Zekkykins

Oct 28, 2009
Sabrestar said:
Actual said:

They've said previously that there will be a Ladyhawke option, but nonetheless I'm reserving judgement until I see screenshots as well.
images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100925162745/dragonage/images/b/bb/Mariangarrett.png

Bam.

Estoki

May 25, 2010
HankMan said:
If that's Hawk in the screen shot, I'll be happy to play as him through the entire game.
Yes, that is Hawke in the screen shot.

Everyone seems to love that guys face :v

sindremaster

Apr 6, 2010
HankMan said:
If that's Hawk in the screen shot, I'll be happy to play as him through the entire game.
It is Hawke
Sabrestar said:
Actual said:

Apr 28, 2008
Wow, that shield clashes so hard with that armor...

Anyway, I find that a shame. I'd at least like to see DLC about your companions. I loved Lelian's Song.

theonlyblaze2

Aug 20, 2010
Why are they already announcing DLC? We don't even know if the game is any good and worth buying the DLC.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
What are people talking about?

Apart from 'Leliana's Song' and The 'DarkSpawn Chronicles' I used my Grey Warden from DA:O in all of the DLC.

theonlyblaze2 said:
Why are they already announcing DLC? We don't even know if the game is any good and worth buying the DLC.
All games have DLC now.

Hell, Dead Space 2 had three weapon/armour packs that were released on the games release day in the US and three days before the UK's.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Every damn DA2 update it's just "hawkehawkehawkehawkehawkehawkehawkehawkehawkehawkehawkehawkehawkehawkehawke". Will to buy slowly draining, BioWare. Yes, right now I'm in a petty mood.

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
I don't get what they're trying to say. Only two DLCs put you in the shoes of a different character than the one you created for the main game: Leliana's Song (the travelling bard in the news story) and the Darkspawn Cronicles.

I've got no idea what they mean by the apostate witch who lived in a forest (Morrigan? Witch Hunt never even had her playable) and the novice Grey Warden (if you die fighting the Archdemon you start Awakenings with a *veteran* Grey Warden, but that's very much your choice.)

I've played as the same character through Origins -> Awakenings -> Golems of Armgarak -> Witch Hunt.

EDIT: Ninja'd

sindremaster

Apr 6, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
The downloadable content for the first Dragon Age put us in the shoes of an apostate witch who lived in a forest, a travelling bard, and a novice Grey Warden
we could import our save to every DLC except Lelianas song and the darkspawn chronicles? Are there some DLC I don't know about?