Handheld Gaming Propels Boy Onto Subway Tracks

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Handheld Gaming Propels Boy Onto Subway Tracks

A boy's handheld gaming habit was so enthralling that he could have been killed.

Playing with handheld devices while moving is never really the best idea. In the case of a of a 10-year-old Italian boy walking through a subway station in Milan, the act could have seriously injured or killed him.

The Daily Mail reports that the 10-year-old was playing his PSP while walking dangerously close to the edge of the train platform. As video of the incident shows, the boy fails to notice his location, and falls down onto the tracks.

The boy was lucky that off-duty police officer Alessandro Micalizzi was nearby to rescue him. Micalizzi hopped down, lifted the boy back onto the platform, and climbed up himself before a train came by. Micalizzi said: "He was completely lost in his game and wasn't looking where he was going."

It's scary, because Micalizzi said a train was due in "less than a minute." Despite the nasty drop, the boy was okay. However, there's no word on if his PSP made it through the incident unscathed.

If we can all learn something from the situation, it's that looking down at a phone, Game Boy, PSP, DS, 3DS, or PSP2/NGP is a terrible idea when walking, driving a car, or doing anything but sitting or standing still. Whatever you do, don't ever use a handheld device while moving around an area that a massive machine repeatedly plows through at high speed. That's why there's a pause button.

Source: Daily Mail [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1353223/PC-Alessandro-Micalizzi-rescues-boy-fell-rail-track-Sony-PSP.html]

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Jesus Christ! Is the PSP okay!?

Seriously though, I hope he's not hurt too badly.

Edit:
Onyx Oblivion said:
The PSP is probably broken. Those things are incredibly fragile.
They are not!! My PSP-1003 is like a brick. I've dropped that thing a ridiculous amount of times, and the only reason its out of action right now is because a button broke, which can be easily replaced. A button!

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
I can't tell whether I'm happy or dismayed that the kid was rescued...

Sometimes we should let natural selection run it's course.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
I bet more or less the same number of people have done this with phones or books. The mail has been looking for this for like freaking ever though.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Well a bit of a nasty fall but other than that he will be good. Still only a matter of time until some anti-videogames group blows this way out of proportion, but atleast the kids fine.

EDIT:
KaosuHamoni said:

Edit:
Onyx Oblivion said:
They are not!! My PSP-1003 is like a brick. I've dropped that thing a ridiculous amount of times, and the only reason its out of action right now is because a button broke, which can be easily replaced. A button!
Back when I had one, I dropped it plenty and it kept going fine, although there was the time where the thing that slides of the battery flew off and hit my cat. Good times.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Sorry for my harshness but... idiot!

How do you not pay attention and fall like that? I hoped he learned a lesson from this.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
Common sence, the boy has none :p
Agreed. The whole point of a handheld device is to absorb your attention. ON the plus side that cop will be able to tell the story of how his giant balls defeated a speeding train.

Glazin

Feb 17, 2010
If you live as a gamer, you will die as one. Im glad that the boy is ok but he would have died doing what he loved.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
--__--#

Please child, look around. Unless you're looking at a video of where you're walking, that was stupid. I'm glad he's alive though. And hopefully no major new organizations *cough*fox*cough* get a hold of this or else it will be more to hear.

still... incidents like this, are why I endorse leashes on children.
http://www.mommybknowsbest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Baby-Leash.jpg
Would have never happened with one of thses bad boys on him.

Seriously though, I cant wait to hear what the parents have to say and where they were in all of this.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Well, this tops my example of people failing to acknowledge the world around them. I was riding my bike across campus, got caught up in pedestrian traffic, so I was going slow. A woman who was texting walked into the side of my bike which knocked my off (I was standing up on the pedals to get a better view at the time. She then proceeded to tell me to watch out and continued texting.

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
KaosuHamoni said:

Edit:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I have a friend who put his psp in his pocket ( a rather large pocket at that) walked to a store, walked back and took out the psp and the screen was broken. I think that qualifies as mostly fragile.