Microsoft Teases Halo 5 ... Sorta

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Microsoft Teases Halo 5 ... Sorta

Even though nothing's been officially announced, it looks like Microsoft might have new Halo and Project Gotham titles in the works.

Microsoft certainly doesn't seem to have a problem teasing its fans with future possibilities. Case in point: no new Halo game has been announced since Halo: Reach, but now the publisher is teasing Halo 5, courtesy of a news report from the UK.

British Channel 4 had a news team meet with Microsoft's Jonathan Cluts, who used "hidden Kinect-like technology" to change the appearance of a wall in a concept house that the company built. As he was scrolling through the options for the wall in "Microsoft Home", Cluts settled on an option for Grandma's Room, but the options surrounding this choice were far more interesting: "Project Gotham Racing" and "Inside Halo 5."

No explanation about these game features was offered, and those jerks at Channel 4 clearly weren't interested enough in videogames to ask for some more details. While the Halo tease is interesting, it's particularly curious that Microsoft hinted at Project Gotham Racing, which many folks have considered dead in the water following Activision's acquisition of Bizarre Creations (though Microsoft was in negotiations last year with developers to bring back the franchise).

So what exactly is this teaser? Is it a hoax or a promise of things to come? Microsoft isn't really saying anything right now, which means that the rumor mill will probably work itself into a mad fervor. Let's be honest, though, we all know that there will eventually be a Halo 5, I'm just wondering what happened to Halo 4.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-09-channel-4-news-report-shows-halo-5>Eurogamer

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
vansau said:
Let's be honest, though, we all know that there will eventually be a Halo 5, I'm just wondering what happened to Halo 4.
Exactly what I was thinking... get onto that before worrying about 5.

edit: I love how much of this thread has turned into discussion of the naming process.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Yeah, Ditto. WTF happened to 4?

Also, more Halo = Yay.

Still can't get fully exited....just because.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Um... that 5 is the symbol for the series of gum (once again, I remind people that I'm a gum addict).

Did Microsoft sellout so hard they skipped a game for the sake of sponsors?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
IHaveNoMouth said:
Could it maybe be a making of or dev diary? As in "Inside Halo: Episode 5".
Wouldnt that require them to have Four previous episodes?

And as Yahtzee was right. Well, this will be the same as when CoD games switch hands, and since I stopped playing microsoft consoles after Drake of the 99 Dragons on the original XBOX, this wont bother me.

Though my Xbox playing friend (cause the rest moved to a PS3) says it does bother him.

EDIT:
this isnt my name said:
Or halo because its a prequal.
If thats true... then will they have to rename all the games?

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
To me it seems like a joke. The Microsoft Home is this futuristic idea, so they put Halo 5 there as a way to say "LOOK! IT'S THE FUTURE!"

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
It was some designer goofing off.

ODST was officially called Halo 3: ODST,
and then Halo: Reach
so the next game technically is #5.

May 5, 2010
Daveman said:
vansau said:
Let's be honest, though, we all know that there will eventually be a Halo 5, I'm just wondering what happened to Halo 4.
Wow, I got ninja'd twice. My first thought was literally, "Wait, what happened to Halo 4?". Then I read the last sentence of the article and I thought, "That's exactly what I was thinking."

So....That's exactly what I was thinking. What happened to Halo 4?

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Ekit said:
I thought Halo: Reach was going to be the last Halo game...
The last Halo game by Bungie. 343 Industries will be taking over for Bungie.

Stevo_s

Working on Avatar
Jan 24, 2010
eh. im tired of Halo. especially after the crap that was Reach. its probably a hoax since halo 4 never existed.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I'm guessing its some "making of" episodes as an earlier poster mentioned. Unless Microsoft is already secretly finished with Halo 4.

Also I'm guessing haters here are going to ***** about more Halo content, despite no real information about it.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Daveman said:
vansau said:
Wow, I got ninja'd twice. My first thought was literally, "Wait, what happened to Halo 4?". Then I read the last sentence of the article and I thought, "That's exactly what I was thinking."

So....That's exactly what I was thinking. What happened to Halo 4?
Maybe they consider Halo: Reach to be Halo 4 since, even though it's a prequel, was released after Halo 3?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
As a Halo fan... I say no more Halo!

Bungie had the sense to leave the franchise. Microsoft will just milk it so dry that the painful feeling it leaves will corrupt even the most diehard fans.

Ekit said:
Maybe they consider Halo: Reach to be Halo 4 since, even though it's a prequel, was released after Halo 3.
Good point. Rather like Metal Gear Solid 3? Way to mess up the continuity Microsoft!

I'm guessing here that they probably thought of Reach as number 4. However I always feel that games with subtitles and no number should not be counted as "official" games in the series. Look at Resident Evil, there are numerous spin off titles but there's still a core series running through the middle, 1 to 5. (Does RE: Zero count?)

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Reach was likely what was meant by Halo 4.

Personally I'm conflicted. Don't want someone other than Bungie making it, would prefer if the series died in dignity but damn it, Halo:CE for pc was my first ever online game and I love that series so much.