Bill Murray Admits He's What's Holding Up Ghostbusters 3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bill Murray Admits He's What's Holding Up Ghostbusters 3

The actor is hesitant to return to the franchise after the lackluster second installment.

The revelation that there was an honest-to-goodness script for Ghostbusters 3 was decidedly good news for fans of the franchise. Unfortunately, star Bill Murray - who played Dr. Peter Venkman - hasn't got round to reading it yet, and probably won't in the foreseeable future.

Speaking on the Howard Stern radio show, Murray said that the script for the movie was on his desk, and had been for a while. He said that he wasn't deliberately ignoring it, but that it wasn't at the forefront of his mind. He said that he felt bad for having not read it, adding that he didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings and that he felt that he owed it to director Ivan Reitman to do the movie.

Murray said that part of the reason he hadn't read the script was that he was still keenly aware that Ghostbusters 2 hadn't turned out like he had expected. He said that he had liked the original script for the movie and had looked forward to working with Annie Potts - who played Janine Meltniz - and Rick Moranis - who played Louis Tully - again. The end result was very different from the movie that Murray thought he'd be making however, and this had made him cagey about doing a third.

He also seemed a little turned off by what he thought the motivation behind the third movie was. He saw it as an attempt to give the franchise some new visibility and introduce it to a new audience. He said that Sony still made money on the movies, even after all this time, and that it wanted to keep it going.

Source: via Screen Rant [http://screenrant.com/bill-murray-ghostbusters-3-howard-stern-aco-102496/comment-page-1/#comments]

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
I think that the game was a great place keeper for a third movie. I would like to see another movie, but I feel as if it just wouldn't work. They would have to get new, younger, actors to appeal to the younger audience.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Good for you, Bill!

The last thing we need is a bunch of old actors try and revitalize this franchise for the sake of a paycheck. The first Ghostbusters was my favourite movie ever made and the second was just very meh.

It's nice to see that Bill Murray still holds some weight around Hollywood.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Can't fault him for his reasons.

But if they are going to make a new one they better do it soon or the old cast will be too old!

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Its going to be tough to get Rick Moranis back into acting. He´s been out of the biz for years. I ´d like Bill Murray to be in GB3, but i think he´s being way too picky. Sure, his recent career has been nice (loved Zombieland and Lost in Translation),but he also made a few turds like Charlie´s Angels and Garfield. Why not go ahead and make the movie we want to see?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
marcogodinho said:
Its going to be tough to get Rick Moranis back into acting. He´s been out of the biz for years. I ´d like Bill Murray to be in GB3, but i think he´s being way too picky. Sure, his recent career has been nice (loved Zombieland and Lost in Translation),but he also made a few turds like Charlie´s Angels and Garfield. Why not go ahead and make the movie we want to see?
rick wouldn't even do the voice for the game. apparently he's made enough money, with the honey i shrunk the movie industry, that he isn't havin it.

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
I thought I'd be in the minority, but it seems I was wrong. I say he should let the franchise lay in it's grave. I'd love to see another Ghostbusters movie (haven't played the game, yet, but I may do so once I've cleared a few titles off of the top of my "Really Wanna Play" list), but if he's not into it, then no one will be. Doctors Vankman, Stantz and Spengler were the Ghostbusters. If they can't play the parts with the same gusto that they did the first two times (and the second time was still a faded memory of the first), then I'd rather not see the movie made.

Rick Moranis was tacked on... He was core to the first movie, but he felt like unneeded comic relief (in a COMEDY, at that) in the second. I'm glad that he has made his mark well enough with other films that he's not compelled to put his shoulder against the prospect of a third Ghostbusters movie. (Little Shop of Horrors is not only a classic, but a favorite of my daughter's. She's 4, so we're already expecting her to be properly warped beyond societal norms before first grade. ::beams with fatherly pride:: "Yes dear, a headbutt is an accepted form of greeting to bullies.")

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
Doctor What said:
I think that the game was a great place keeper for a third movie. I would like to see another movie, but I feel as if it just wouldn't work. They would have to get new, younger, actors to appeal to the younger audience.
And you'd have that old spiel that the old crew try to take on the big bad, fail and have to train up their replacements.

If they can make it so that the originals were still main characters and not just the support crew for the new breed then it might be interesting but with the actors getting on a bit that probably wouldn't happen

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
You know what? Good for him for having some integrity. I disagree with his assessment that the second movie was lacklustre, but I respect his wishes not to do a third. The second movie wasn't as good as the first one, but it was still pretty fun overall. It could have been a lot worse. Making a third one now though... Ugh, I can only imagine how horrible it would be to drag all these ageing actors back into the fray. I suppose you could do something like Indiana Jones where you have a younger bunch taking up the mantle, but look how well that turned out.

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
SuperMse said:
This would seem like some nice integrity on Murray's part had he not voiced Garfield in two God awful movies.
I think the idea is that he has nothing truly invested in whether Garfield does well or not. He'd provide the voice, sure, but in the end he probably didn't care all that much. But Ghostbusters? That's his baby. He probably loves the movies more than anyone else and would rather die than muck it up.

I understand his trepidation.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I don't know about how much of this is integrity. I've read a lot of articles about Bill Murray. He is notoriously bad about this kind of thing. He's very difficult to get a hold of and he's supposedly very difficult to pin down on things.

Directors who talk about him say he's great once you get him to your shoot, but getting him there is like pulling teeth. From what I've read, doing movies is kind of like a hobby for him. It's not his life, just something he does from time to time.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
uppitycracker said:
marcogodinho said:
rick wouldn't even do the voice for the game. apparently he's made enough money, with the honey i shrunk the movie industry, that he isn't havin it.
Really? Didnt know about Moranis not doing the voice for the game(didnt play it.is it any good?). That doesnt bode well for a future participation in the movie. If Murray is reserving judgement until the old gang is back together, this project might be stuck in development hell. Which is a pity, since Dan Akyroyd´s gotta eat.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Good for you, Bill!

The last thing we need is a bunch of old actors try and revitalize this franchise for the sake of a paycheck. The first Ghostbusters was my favourite movie ever made and the second was just very meh.

It's nice to see that Bill Murray still holds some weight around Hollywood.
It's inane to argue this is "for a paycheck" when you consider the people who are pushing for it and the comparable stakes. Akroyd and Raimis along could do plenty if all they wanted was a paycheck.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
marcogodinho said:
uppitycracker said:
marcogodinho said:
Really? Didnt know about Moranis not doing the voice for the game(didnt play it.is it any good?). That doesnt bode well for a future participation in the movie. If Murray is reserving judgement until the old gang is back together, this project might be stuck in development hell. Which is a pity, since Dan Akyroyd´s gotta eat.
ya, tis a shame. i didn't play it, just watched some parts. it seemed okay, had some of the humor in there, but it's a game, ya know? can't really live up to the movies IMO, although they did try their best.

and honestly, i think it's best if they leave it alone. i'm a HUGE fan of the series, but i'd just hate to see them do more harm than good with it. It's been happening a lot lately with Hollywood...

se7ensenses

Jun 10, 2009
GB II came out in '89, budget was $25 million, it grossed over $200 million. That's considered lackluster? WTF?!? With todays FX, a 3rd movie could be incredible. Especially if Danny Boy & Ramis penned the script. Come on Billiam, do it!