Bill Murray Admits He's What's Holding Up Ghostbusters 3

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
HankMan said:
SuperMse said:
This would seem like some nice integrity on Murray's part had he not voiced Garfield in two God awful movies.
So true, it didn't matter to him that those movies sucked, and this Ghostbusters DAM IT! People actually WANT to see this movie made!
This is the one thing I loved about Zombieland.

As Bill Murray lies dying in his private movie theater, the little girl asks him if he has any regrets. Then he answers, "....Garfield, maybe."

The reason the first movie was so good was because of the chemistry between Bill, Dan and Harold. All of them are a lot older now and have become very different people; Throwing them together now would just seem like a bunch of old farts trying to recapture the magic. When I clicked the source link, I caught a glimpse of present-day Bill in his Ghostbusters get-up. I seriously cringed.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
se7ensenses said:
GB II came out in '89, budget was $25 million, it grossed over $200 million. That's considered lackluster? WTF?!? With todays FX, a 3rd movie could be incredible. Especially if Danny Boy & Ramis penned the script. Come on Billiam, do it!
It made money so it's good?

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
uppitycracker said:
ya, tis a shame. i didn't play it, just watched some parts. it seemed okay, had some of the humor in there, but it's a game, ya know? can't really live up to the movies IMO, although they did try their best.

and honestly, i think it's best if they leave it alone. i'm a HUGE fan of the series, but i'd just hate to see them do more harm than good with it. It's been happening a lot lately with Hollywood...
Yeah,i dont want this to turn out to be like Indy 4. I guess some things are better left untouched.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
Good call by Murray - he's actually done pretty well at balancing commercial and artistic movies in his career (as well as finding artistic possibilities in commercial movies and vice versa). He can legitimately be proud of his work (excepting, maybe, Garfield) and I completely understand his fear of undermining that with a high-profile flop so late in his professional life.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Casual Shinji said:
Good for you, Bill!

The last thing we need is a bunch of old actors try and revitalize this franchise for the sake of a paycheck. The first Ghostbusters was my favourite movie ever made and the second was just very meh.

It's nice to see that Bill Murray still holds some weight around Hollywood.
It's inane to argue this is "for a paycheck" when you consider the people who are pushing for it and the comparable stakes. Akroyd and Raimis along could do plenty if all they wanted was a paycheck.
I'm sure Akroyd and Ramis would have a lot more heart in the matter. They're probably the only ones who would.

But the only reason this is being pushed is because Sony knows the brandrecognition of the Ghostbusters name and logo, and that putting that on a movie poster with a big fat 3 at the end of it would get movie goers all riled up. Hell, even my heart skipped a beat just writting that.
Along with Back to the Future, Ghostbusters is one of the few 800 pond gorillas from the 80's that hasn't been used to shake some money out of a tree for many years.

But as we've seen with Indiana Jones, making a sequel to a beloved franchise that's 20 years old can end up very, very ugly.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
I think if Bill Murray is having doubts about this movie, he should just bury the hatchet and say no. I guess I also don't think we need another Ghostbusters film, let alone one where Bill phones it in cos he's not happy.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
C'mon Bill Murray, sequels are usually worse than that but the third installments usually make up for it.

The problem with GB2 was that with the cartoon, toys, and breakfast cereal it had turned into a children's franchise even though that first movie was more mature... well, it had cursing at least. But children's franchises tend to be driven by focus groups and nonsense.
"Kids love the slime so the whole movie has to be about slime."

The thing is that even those kids who grew up on those cartoons and toys are grown up now, so you don't have to make the third one a kids movie. It can be more like the first.
I'd rather see him and Wu Tang do a sequel to Coffee & Cigarettes.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
justnotcricket said:
I think if Bill Murray is having doubts about this movie, he should just bury the hatchet and say no. I guess I also don't think we need another Ghostbusters film, let alone one where Bill phones it in cos he's not happy.
took the words out of my mouth

hansari

May 31, 2009
Bill Murray is old...

He will look less comfortable "ghost-busting" then Harrison Ford did in Crystal Skull.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I don't see why people thought Ghostbusters was a bad sequel. It was just an ordinary sequel- I rather liked it.
Not to mention I love the Statue of Liberty going through Manhattan.

But it's another series that's just been away so long and picking up an old series never goes well since any director will just want to show off their own fandom at some point. Some things are better being short, yet still memorable. I think it's best if Ghostbusters just remains another good memory.

(Unless the rumor about Bill Murray wanting to be killed off right away and just be a ghost throughout the film is true, then yes- make that movie.)

se7ensenses

Jun 10, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
se7ensenses said:
GB II came out in '89, budget was $25 million, it grossed over $200 million. That's considered lackluster? WTF?!? With todays FX, a 3rd movie could be incredible. Especially if Danny Boy & Ramis penned the script. Come on Billiam, do it!
Ramis hasn't made a single funny thing in almost two decades, his last film Year Zero was so bad that nobody wants to even talk about it.

This has the same Indiana Jones 4 air of doom about it and I for one would be just happy that it would never get made. The first one was fantastic, lightning in a bottle stuff that the second couldn't recapture at all.

And for those who're saying that "think about it with today's FX!" are a part of the problem. The first film wasn't about FX, it was the characters and the humor.
Don't blame Ramis for Year One, blame Jack Black for habitually being a douchebag. Just because Speilburg & Lucas raped Indy doesn't mean that Aykroyd & Ramis will do the same thing. Judge it on its own merits(if it actually gets made)then crucify it. If it sucks I'll be right next to you demanding my money back like Randall did on The "Clerks" cartoon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_JNuIN33Wk

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
good for him, he's not selling out. That's why Murray is still an OG after all these years.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
This is why I respect Bill Murray, even after all these years.
Sony wants a quick-cash-in reboot, but the fact of the matter is: Murray (and company) kind of screwed up the second Ghostbusters movie by forgetting the snark that drove the first one forward.

It's ironic that the parts of the 2nd movie that I like involve the legwork; ghostbusting.
The parts I never liked was all of that shit involving the McGuffin Baby (or the "Happy Thoughts Mojo Guns").

It's been over 20 years; I would still have serious doubts to the quality of the "franchise" (if you can call it that now) by now too, if only because the original cast has not aged well.
The only way a franchise reboot would work is if Sony required the script to "pass the torch" and introduce us to a group a new Ghostbusters (under the tutelage of the originals), but such an endeavor would have to be handled with care.
More like, Sony wants a quick buck out of the name rather than an established franchise, so the 3rd movie would have to wield some finality or if they did pass the torch, it would be handled in the typical "George Lucas" manner.

Of course, that's all speculation on my part; I haven't seen the script and I'm unsure how Sony Pictures plans on handling Ghostbusters.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
I <3 YOU MR. MURRAY

Seriously, good for him. I'd love to see another Ghostbusters film, but if it's going to be crap -- or even mediocre -- just leave the whole thing be. Everybody hates it when a beloved franchise starts milking itself just for the sake of another paycheck, regardless of quality and integrity. Some things are just better as one-offs. (Excluding the sequel there, obviously.)

I STILL <3 YOU MR. MURRAY

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
If the script for GB3 is anything like the script for the game then I for one am glad the movie is in limbo!

Wardy

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Well look at that, someone in Hollywood has some decency. Good, I dont want to see this stuff happen. The franchise is enjoying a good death, there's no need to dig it back up.