Metroid Motivates Woman to Cosplay After Mother's Death

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Metroid Motivates Woman to Cosplay After Mother's Death

Samus Aran helped a woman get back on her feet after a tragic family loss.

When 25-year-old Michelle Perl lost her mother to cancer in 2007, she needed a source of inner-strength to help her change an ongoing unhealthy lifestyle. That source? Samus Aran from the Metroid [http://www.amazon.com/Metroid-Other-M-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSC4ZS] series.

At the time, Perl was overweight and suffered from low self-esteem. However, with the help of Samus, she was able to lose over 100 pounds and greatly improve her life.

[gallery=141]

"I wanted to make a vow of personal improvement to my mother," she told Nintendo Power. "So I decided to target the one problem that had been causing me great distress for years: my weight."

She covered her walls in Metroid paraphernalia to keep her "wheels spinning." She calls Samus Aran her "most powerful source of motivation" and believes the character to be an "ideal role model for many women to look up to as a powerful female icon."

After Samus helped Perl get back her self-esteem, she paid tribute by creating two cosplay outfits. One is of Samus's look from DeviantArt page [http://www.amazon.com/Metroid-Zero-Mission-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B00012BSJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1298647966&sr=1-1].

Perl hopes that others will use her story to motivate themselves in unique ways. "Sometimes, even a fictional character is enough to give you a powerful dose of inner strength," she says. Her story is inspirational, but just make sure you don't choose to emulate a character like King Hippo [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Hibiki]. That might not end up quite as successfully.

Source: Metroid Database [http://www.metroid-database.com/]

Samechiel

Nov 4, 2009
just make sure she never plays Other M.
Oh my god, that's the very first thing that popped into my head when I read this article.

Somebody E-Mail her with a warning, because she's probably saving up for a Wii even as we speak.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Good that it can help people got back on their feet.

(But she doesn't have the legs for that pink outfit)

Who Dares Wins

Dec 26, 2009
Samechiel said:
just make sure she never plays Other M.
Oh my god, that's the very first thing that popped into my head when I read this article.

Somebody E-Mail her with a warning, because she's probably saving up for a Wii even as we speak.
It says on her DA page "Favourite game: Every single Metroid game EXCEPT Other M :mad:" so no fuss to be had.

OT: That's pretty cool.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Good on her. Who wants to take bets that the "videogames cause violence" crowd would cheerfully ignore how a videogame character inspired her to better herself?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Well, Cosplaying is not the first thing that pops into my mind at the thought of my mothers death, but im not saying its a bad thing.

Captcha: nguilin 187

Seriously, WTF!? I had to refreash 8 times to get something that wasnt containing impossible symbols.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
I want the metroid plushie...:3
The Lost Big Boss said:
Thats a sweet story, just make sure she never plays Other M.
From what I've heard, not played Other M myself, but it's very degrading to Samus. Ruined the awesome bounty hunter image with a daddys girl?

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
geier said:
"Sometimes, even a fictional character is enough to give you a powerful dose of inner strength"

Yeah, "ficional character", that happens to religious people all the time ! :)
BURN!!!

OT: Well good for her, I wish we could all be like that, although I wish I hadn't looked at the pictures

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
geier said:
"Sometimes, even a fictional character is enough to give you a powerful dose of inner strength"

Yeah, "ficional character", that happens to religious people all the time ! :)
Bum-dum tish

Props to her for achieving her goals, I suppose. No full suit with helmet, though? What gives?

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
I find it interesting that she chose Samus, a fictional video game character, as motivation to lose weight. I wonder how much weight she lost in all, and what methods she used. Regardless, good for her. I hope she's happy and healthy.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Love how alot of the first comments were double-edge comments and a shoddy remark about her legs not working in an outfit. Girl lost 100+ pounds. She's happy, and she looks awesome. Just focus on the happy

Great to see that she recovered

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
You know what? Mass Media will never use this story to show how video games can have a positive influence. Good for her!

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Well, she is damn beautiful, I'll give her that. (O_O)

And she is pretty accurate to boot. :p

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
Sorry about her mother, but it's awesome to hear that she had that much willpower. You go girl; also costume is hawt.