Game Freak: Pokemon Isn't Just for Kids

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Game Freak: Pokemon Isn't Just for Kids

Pokémon's characters may be colorful, cuddly and cartoonish, but that doesn't mean the games are only for children.

We're less than a week away from the Western debut of the next generation of Pokémon games, which means that it's time to kick the hype-cycle into full gear. While the franchise has long been seen as a series for children thanks to its colorful characters and messages of friendship and loyalty, kids aren't the only ones eagerly awaiting Pokemon Black and White - and the series' developers don't think they should be.

In an interview with Official Nintendo Magazine UK [http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/24223/features/pokmon-black-and-white-weve-gone-back-to-basics/], Game Freak's director of game development Junichi Masuda said that he hoped the improvements that Black & White brought to the series would make the series more accessible to a wider range of players. It's an interesting statement, given that Pokémon was already one of the most widely accessible franchises in all of gaming.

"A lot of people believe that Pokémon is a game that targets children, but I wanted more people - a broader audience - to play Pokémon. I'd been thinking about that for about a year ... so a year later, we decided we should add something very cool to appeal to the older audience ... So that an older audience [could] think it is very cool to play Pokémon."

In the context of Black & White, that means slightly older characters (teenagers rather than preteens) and a more in-depth story beyond "collect 8 badges, beat the Elite 4, stop whatever plan is being hatched by Team Badguys."

Of course, the core of Pokémon will always be accessible for younger gamers new to the series as well as older ones who've grown up with it. "There will be an audience who has never played Pokémon before and there is the advanced player who has always played Pokémon.

"We wanted to target both groups. In order to do so we created all new Pokémon for the game. And we took advantage of infrared technology so it's easier for the audience to target each other."

If you know anything about the competitive Pokémon metagame, what Mr. Masuda is saying should be obvious. I mean, have you seen the people who play Pokémon competitively? It's kind of intimidating.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go play, um, Bokemon Flack.

(CVG [http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/24223/features/pokmon-black-and-white-weve-gone-back-to-basics/])

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
man he can't be any more right

even my mom plays it

and she also thinks that Mew is way, WAY better than Lucario, as a pokemon itself

and she was the one who introduced me to Squirtle with Pokemon Red

thanks mom

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
I'm now an adult and I've been playing Pokemon since I was a kid back in the 90s. Most of my friends think it's weird but this article says otherwise. Thanks Junichi Masuda.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Well, I hope it's not just for kids... otherwise I have some serious mental issues.

Now, I have to go play some HeartGold... gotta train.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
We knew that already:

Man, I can't wait to go back to college. That is, if the course I end up in has enough nerds.

Anyway, I pretty much always knew this. There really are a bucket ton of stats and variables in the game. You can indeed play it very very hardcore. But heej, kids can just as easily faceroll their way through the game. As I did. And still do. Except when I'm doing a Nuzlocke run. That shit is hard...

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Awww, you're playing Bokemon Flack?
I'm still waiting on my Mokemone Flight.

Either way, I've always loved pokemon, and I don't see how so many people think that "kid-friendly" immediately disqualifies a game from quality for a wider audience.

Beltom

Professional Lurker
Sep 8, 2008
Been playing the Japanese version of White for a the past week or so, and so far it's been incredibly good, and the story is much more interesting than previous entries, like Funk said. I'll be picking up an English copy of Pokemon White as well, so I can compare the two, so looking forward to Friday. :D
Cowabungaa said:
This comic couldn't be more true.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
I've had a day timer going until it's release for months now...

Serperior... You will be mine come March Break!!!

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I would certainly hope so. You dont want to ostracize the crowd that made you as famous as you are now (my generation, when pokemon first came out).

But yeah, just go play a competitive pokemon battle, or as someone who does about the math involved. It gets staggering and down right scary.

Thats the best thing about the game really. You can pick how much or little you want to get in to it, and how serious/fun you want it to be.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
I still remember the theme song....
POKEMON GOTTA CATCH EM ALL,
Its you and me, I KNOW ITS MY DESTINY

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
yeah, more news from the Polemon master, John Funk.

Aside from the battling, the online trading economy is rather convoluted as well. Why no, I don't happen to have a shiny Scizor with perfect IVs.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
When me and a friend discovered smogon.com it completely changed the way we played Pokemon. A couple months later you find yourself with a almost perfectly IV Breed, Move Breed and EV trained Team with a proper balance of Wall, Spinner, Sweeper and stealth rocks ect.

I personally find it incredibly fun, and when you start churning out your own builds things get really interesting.

Anyways I can't wait for Black & White ^_^

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
randommaster said:
yeah, more news from the Polemon master, John Funk.

Aside from the battling, the online trading economy is rather convoluted as well. Why no, I don't happen to have a shiny Scizor with perfect IVs.
i used to have a shiny scizor with perfect ivs.
some kid hacked it and traded it to me for a wild (but legit) shiny shinx.

i never could bring myself to actually use it. it just felt wrong.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm getting both. And trading with MYSELF once I get a 3DS.

Pokemon is hardcore fucking shit. I'm gonna EV train my event Victini...Is it in Ubers?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
teh_Canape said:
man he can't be any more right

even my mom plays it

and she also thinks that Mew is way, WAY better than Lucario, as a pokemon itself

and she was the one who introduced me to Squirtle with Pokemon Red

thanks mom
Hey guy dont get mad but your mums a total MILF.

As long as they stop going on about BELIEVING!!! I mean if they worked it in as what it is, a competitive sport and talk about hard work and stragegy as well, Id be all for it but I swear about 6 times throughout the series they say "hard work, skill and stratedgy can only take you so far, without belief you cannot hope to win"...

Belief is the fuel you use not the tool itself.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
I've been saying this for years :p

Can't wait till Friday! *laughs at Americans who get it on Sunday*
I don't mind. Since I'm getting mine at Toys'R'Us and it's Buy 1,get 1 50% all ds games. I was planning on getting just Black, but now it's both.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
cocoro67 said:
I still remember the theme song....
POKEMON GOTTA CATCH EM ALL,
Its you and me, I KNOW ITS MY DESTINY
Oooh, you're my best friend, in a world we must defend!

Oh yes, know it by heart.

I am very much looking forward to the new generation.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Pokemon is eternal. Everyone enjoys it and people who say they dont enjoy it either haven't actually played it before (apparently these people aren't fictional) or people that are closet Pokemon fans :p

Now when can we expect Pokemon Snap 2....

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I agree with the competitive battles. I avoid those battles since I lack intelligent when to play the game with tactics (all of my teams use raw powers moves not those status effect moves).