FortressCraft Becomes Fastest Selling XBLIG Title Ever

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
FortressCraft Becomes Fastest Selling XBLIG Title Ever

Releasing a game that's similar to Minecraft on a new platform has its benefits.

becoming known [http://www.fortresscraft.com/] on the internet. The big problem is that it looks and plays similarly to Minecraft, a massively popular indie title for the PC, causing many to call the game a rip-off or a clone. These complaints haven't hurt FortressCraft's sales though, with Projector announcing that the game is the fastest selling Xbox Live Indie title of all time.

Projector is releasing FortressCraft in chapters. The first chapter was made available for 240 Microsoft Points ($3) on April 8, and features building with multiplayer. On the first day, Projector says that FortressCraft: Chapter 1 sold 16,000 copies.

The game also had a 70% conversion rate, meaning that 70% of the people that tried the game's demo went on to buy it. This is massive for an Xbox Live Indie title, whose conversion rates tend to be much lower. Projector points out that FortressCraft sold more copies per day in its launch weekend than Minecraft currently does. That might be because Minecraft has already sold nearly 2 million copies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109044-Minecraft-Sales-Figures-Reveal-33-Million-in-Diamonds].

Projector plans to continually update each FortressCraft chapter, while subsequent chapters will add larger features. Believe it or not, the game is said to be inspired by this video [http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/]. However, it's hard to say that FortressCraft didn't at least benefit from Minecraft's popularity.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
If Mojang just ported minecraft to XBLIG and PSN, they would have!.....
made more money...
I do not own a "working" xbox anymore but if FortressCraft would come to PSN I'll buy it.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Looks awesome, but this seems to be a case of either-or; there really isn't a need to play both this and Minecraft. The similarities are there, and regardless of inspiration, the resemblance is shocking. However, since they target different demographics, I don't think there will be an issue.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Oh, there is a demo, good. I do want to try this, just to make sure its as fun as it looks. $3 is not that much, but it is money wasted if I end up removing it from my hardrive.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I thought this game would be bad, but after actually buying it, its better than I thought it would be.

Not as good as Minecraft, but still alright to play with a few friends.

EDIT: oops, I came back onto my computer and accidently pressed the "report" button on the guy above me :(

Jim 028

Mar 25, 2009
As Notch is on record as saying Minecraft was a clone of Infiniminer I'm not sure he has anything to complain about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9t3FREAZ-k

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
That sure got ripped off quick.
At least it's a complete game.
Minecraft looks cool and everything but I have problems paying money for a beta. I remember back when you GOT paid to play a beta.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
With "bookcase" blocks and blocks that look almost exactly the same as Diamond blocks in Minecraft, and when the games are so similar, using the same suffix in the title was just a bad move. I have no idea how they can say it's not a Minecraft clone.

I have Minecraft and I won't be getting Fortresscraft regardless of how popular it is.

Gorden Springel

Apr 3, 2010
Jim 028 said:
As Notch is on record as saying Minecraft was a clone of Infiniminer I'm not sure he has anything to complain about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9t3FREAZ-k
Doesnt that say that he created infiniminer and it eventually turned into minecraft?

Edit: Reading fail on my part haha, guess it says hes working on an imfiniminer clone

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
It will always be a ripoff, good or not.

On REAL GOOD NEWS: Minecraft got updated to 1.5 today :D

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
GonzoGamer said:
That sure got ripped off quick.
At least it's a complete game.
Minecraft looks cool and everything but I have problems paying money for a beta. I remember back when you GOT paid to play a beta.
except when you buy minecraft bata you are paying half price, and you get the full game when it comes out

Also, i don't care what anyone says, Creater of fortressCraft saw minecraft saw how popular it was and said "hay that is doing well, lets do that" and then added no extra though other then the xbox feature of the avatar.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
meh, i may give this a go then although i didnt really like minecraft but mybe il enjoy it a lil more on console

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
HankMan said:
Hey, hey, hey I've been fortressing all day long
Naw just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Try the actual Dwarf Fortress.

Then you'll know about all day fortressing.

Also ascii.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
This isn't available in Britain for some bizarre reason, I haven't seen any reason given for why either.

EDIT: Found it under Indie games, I was looking under Arcade.