The LHC Might Have Actually Found What it's Been Looking For

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
The LHC Might Have Actually Found What it's Been Looking For

In 1995, some scientists decided to build a big particle collider to test for the existence of the Higgs Boson. $5.5 billion and 17 years later, we might be close to getting an answer.

A partial leak of an internal note by scientists at the Large Hadron Collider's ATLAS detector has revealed the existence of a very, very significant blip in the data. At 115 GeV (giga electron volts- the way scientists measure the energy of collisions at the collider), a big mess of extra photons are showing up where they aren't expected. And when unexpected stuff happen at the LHC, you can expect that big science things are going down.

The significance of this occurring at 115 GeV energies is that the Higgs Boson, the theoretical particle that grants matter its mass and the driving research goal of the LHC, is assumed to show up at that same energy range. This could be a coincidence, but it all the same has caused physicists the world over to work themselves into a froth over the implications. The problem is, the data doesn't quite fit the expected Higgs data. In fact, the data shows a spike 30 times larger than it should be, if the Higgs is the cause.

This doesn't mean that it isn't the first sign of a new particle, but it does mean we have to be careful in what we claim. It could very easily be a math error, a statistical anomaly, or Bill the Physicist dropping his coffee into the detector. The "discovery" is mostly just a rumor for now, but expect a statement or two coming out of CERN in the next week or two, to address the data spike and its implications.

And if that data spike just happens to lead to proof of the Higgs Boson, then expect a statement or two about Nobel Prize nominations.

Source: New Scientist [http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/04/has-the-lhc-found-a-hint-of-th.html]
(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmcnab/4248698746/in/photostream/])

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Maybe we'll get what Physics has a habit of giving us: "We didn't find what we were looking for, but we found something that probably means what we were looking for isn't there after all"

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Great news. Sure, finding the higgs where it was expected would be exiting, but finding that the higgs (as presently defined) isn't the whole story is actually MUCH MORE COMPELLING.

Femaref

May 4, 2008
thiosk said:
Great news. Sure, finding the higgs where it was expected would be exiting, but finding that the higgs isn't the whole story is actually MUCH MORE COMPELLING.
this. Science does stuff because it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
That energy spike was clearly the incredibly brief life-cycle of a molecular-scale black hole. When they inevitably repeat the experiment, their attempt at Science will obviously create one of a more permanent variety.

I know this because:

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Groovy!
Funny, my semester is almost over, and I could use some good news. I'm sure they'll rerun the experiment a few times to eliminate any sort of spurious error and to determine whether there is a systematic response in that energy range, and whether or not it corresponds to the Higg's thing. So...wait and see? *crosses fingers*

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
We need to make the LHC move.

If we can mount it on an uber truck...and get it to 88 miles per hour...

It'll result in some serious shit.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I'm preparing for unforeseen consequences. Crowbars at the ready.

The collider will be something to watch in the coming months / years.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
We could have already been done with this(and in the US) had somebody not managed to bungle up the US supercollider, by trying to move it from Illinois to Texas. It would have actually been LARGER than the LHC.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Should we really use this the LHC? Aren't there photograpic evedince of Gordon Freeman and G-Man working there? Might as just stick a big sign saying "Go ahead and take all our natural resoures and water! We don't use it anyways!"

OT: Ach...All the scince talk/text is just flying over my head. Still sounds that it will be a massive discovery.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
In other news, parts of Switzerland are being plagued by situations of brownouts and outright blackouts. Toasters refuse to toast, televisions broadcast extra protons increasing the likelihood of eye damage, and dogs and cats get along.

I'm reminded of Freeman's Mind [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADkcj7JHKH4&feature=player_detailpage#t=279s] when he speaks of those testing the atomic bomb with the expectation of the possibility that it would set the atmosphere on fire. There is analogy here!

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Whoa, my prof was just talking about this exact thing in my Physics class today.

Crazy stuff. If we can prove the existence of that particle we can start trying to manipulate it. You know what could come when we can manipulate an object's mass? Straight outta Mass Effect bitches.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Not one Portal 2 "For science" joke. You're losing your touch internet.
Though the above HL photographic evidence of impending doom for us all, makes up for it.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Frontastic said:
Not one Portal 2 "For science" joke. You're losing your touch internet.
Though the above HL photographic evidence of impending doom for us all, makes up for it.
Pssht, if Glados were in charge here, she would have found the Boson, bent it to her will, and used it to somehow improve her shower curtains.

This ain't Aperture Science. This is just regular old science.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Better keep an eye on this [http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedearthyet.com/] for a while methinks.