Kung Fu Cooking Girls Blends Food, Violence And Pretty Girls

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Kung Fu Cooking Girls Blends Food, Violence And Pretty Girls

Kung Fu Cooking Girls is 8 minutes and 37 seconds of evidence that awesome anime isn't exclusive to Japan.

The animated short is the work of Wolf Smoke, a small, independent animation studio in China. Actually, maybe "small" is too generous a word. Wolf Smoke doesn't even seem to have a web presence, outside of film critics and geek culture pundits praising their work, and three films uploaded to YouTube.

The video's description explains via broken English:

Wolf Smoke is a small original animation making studio. We have only a few ppl but we trying our best to make great animation. Kung Fu Cooking Grils is a short story, we made it for testing new cartoon style and methoud of the way of making movies.

Still, a studio's size is no indicator of its ability to create gorgeous animated films. When I first started watching Kung Fu Cooking Girls it struck me as a cute homage to Japanese anime. Then the fight started and I was stunned by the fluidity and graceful motions that were exaggerated (as is the norm for the genre), but not to a degree that they become comical or overwrought. There is a real weight and urgency in every attack that rivals the best Chinese Wuxia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuxia] films.

My only gripe here is that the short seems to be a one-off project. Wolf Smoke's future works don't seem to be publicly discussed (though that might just be a side effect of my inability to read Mandarin), and the company does not appear to be in the habit of creating sequels.

Fans will just have to be content with the studio's YouTube backlog [http://www.youtube.com/user/WolfSomke].

Source: Twitch [http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/06/watch-animated-short-kung-fu-cooking-girls.php]

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
The animation is strange. The characters look kind of like cardboard cutouts if the color could somehow extend past the border... I don't think it's bad, but it certainly is different. 'methoud' made me kind of giggle, though.

I'd definitely watch a full length movie of this style...provided it had subbing. I can't speak Chinese, sadly.

Edit: Almost forgot...why are there french fries and ketchup in a bottle in what looks like ancient China?

Also...the silver/white-haired chick has some immense jiggle physics.

Edit 2: Eh, I like the silver/white-haired chick's fighting style much more (Less movement, seemed to be more focused on unfocused blows to weak points) than the other girl's. (More movement, quantity over quality when it came to attacks.)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
The best part of this is the terrible subbing. "Shut your fuck up!" takes the cake.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I'll do this in list form
1. Put it in english so it sounds better and not like a bunch of random sounds.
2. These guys should make an animated DOA, they have the jiggle physics.
3. the blonde ladies pants opening was a bit much for me to handle, I had a similar reaction to the guy in the video.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Well, it's obvious they took the "hot bitches with jiggly bits" part of anime to heart.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Sparrow said:
The best part of this is the terrible subbing. "Shut your fuck up!" takes the cake.
There was subbing? WHERE, MAN?
I'm not really sure, mine just had it at the bottom. Try viewing the video on YouTube and directly turning the subs on.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Sparrow said:
Kopikatsu said:
Sparrow said:
There was subbing? WHERE, MAN?
I'm not really sure, mine just had it at the bottom. Try viewing the video on YouTube and directly turning the subs on.
I had no subbing either, luckily I know mandarin. Interesting little cartoon though.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Interesting style of animation, but really well done in my opinion.
And yes, awesome jiggle physics, too!
And good to see they guy actually got some food. All's well that ends in a bathtub, i say!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I did find the animation style a bit too sketchy but I did start to appreciate it after a few minutes. Overall I like it since it's unique and it had good action and humour.

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
HankMan said:
It's also a little weird that the first girl was better drawn in her poster than she was drawn herself.
I'm pretty sure that was an indicator of how she thinks of herself in contrast to how she really is.

Overall I don't think subs or dubs are really necessary for a short like this, the studio did a good job with context clues in the action. I take it the girls were supposed to be some sort of contrast between Chinese and Western takeout, although I'm not quite sure how the noodle shop stands in comparison to the dumpling shop.

Deskimus Prime

Jan 26, 2011
The awful subbing made it even better, I think. "Shut your fuck up!"

Animation was fantastic, though. Slightly new, different, easy on the eyes. Cool stuff, now I wanna check out their other videos.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
It seems a bit exploitative, :) but man can these girls kick ass!

Hmmmm....I wonder...Can Cooking Mama can fight like that too?

(Disclaimer: I know Cooking Mama is not Chinese, but she is an animation.)

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
S'alright. Very fluid and nice style, but it went on for too long considering the sparsity of story.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
HankMan said:
It's also a little weird that the first girl was better drawn in her poster than she was drawn herself.
That's advertising for you. Makeup and airbrushing can work wonders.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought "Shut your fuck up!" was excellent.

SonofaJohannes

Apr 18, 2011
The animation felt bit rough around the edges, but it was fun to watch the boobies fight nonetheless. I feel a bit sorry for the guy though.