Prism Is The Best Piece Of Sci-Fi You'll See This Weekend

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Prism Is The Best Piece Of Sci-Fi You'll See This Weekend

Just in time for the Fourth of July, this sci-fi short is plenty of fun, bright lights, and explosions.

If you found (and accidentally stole) a piece of world-changing technology, what would you do with it? Based on Prism, a new sci-fi/action short film created by Corridor Digital, the correct answer is "outrun a bunch of gun-toting goons."

If you haven't heard about Corridor Digital before now, get ready for that to change. The group is an amateur film company down in Los Angeles who specialize in visual effects and they're producing some truly impressive shorts like the one that's on display here.

The basic synopsis of Prism is that two people (one of whom is played by <a href=http://www.youtube.com/jimmy#p/c/22095D120B5C539A/6/MTB-P5Bt3_Q>Jimmy Wong, rising YouTube actor and songwriter) sneak into a science/technology convention and come across an amazing new device that could revolutionize the world. When they're discovered by the obligatory sinister corporate executive, they escape and find themselves chased by tactical hit squads who sport awesome masks and (eventually) laser rifles.

For something created by a group of amateurs, Prism is pretty incredible. It's certainly a simple premise, but it's executed with a ton of style and does a really nice job with the various action sequences. Looking through <a href=http://www.youtube.com/corridordigital>Corridor Digital's YouTube channel, there's a ton of other stunning videos to check out (anyone who's a shooter fan should especially check out <a href=http://www.youtube.com/user/CorridorDigital#p/c/0/9QoNouEfjuo>Clock Blockers). Hopefully we'll get to see a sequel to Prism soon.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
What in the hell is it with YouTube shorts always featuring a redhead and an asian guy as the main two characters? It's actually kind of a shame that the main lead can't act for shit, there are actually some good ideas in this.

[sup]Actually, scratch that. Nobody in this damn thing can act.[/sup]

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Yay! Corridor Digital! Love those boys. And seriously, check out Clock Blockers. It's a fantastic concept.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
What's with the negativity? OK, so they've never gone to acting school but come on, It's cool effects, cool story, and the acting isn't worse than what you find in some Hollywood productions. Come on, do you expect Inception whenever someone makes an internet video?
5 out of 5. Great stuff.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
What I didnt like is how they managed to get past by the very first two dudes, those guys are probably very well trained for combat, how the fuck do they mess things up like that?

But that is a problem that most action movies have. They are just grunts, right?

WayOutThere

Aug 1, 2009
All very good except that it's hard to root for the protagonists.

Edit: I just realized that these combat scenes are better than many I've seen in proffesionally made movies and shows.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
I stopped watching the moment the two upstart teenagers knocked out two highly trained commandos in single combat. Fuck that shit.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Varya said:
What's with the negativity? OK, so they've never gone to acting school but come on, It's cool effects, cool story, and the acting isn't worse than what you find in some Hollywood productions. Come on, do you expect Inception whenever someone makes an internet video?
5 out of 5. Great stuff.
No. The acting was really jarring at times. It had its charm, though and I was was certainly entertained.

Duffeknol said:
I stopped watching the moment the two upstart teenagers knocked out two highly trained commandos in single combat. Fuck that shit.
'Cause we all know Hollywood never skirts around realism in the pursuit of entertainment, right?

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Varya said:
5 out of 5. Great stuff.
Cool effects, I'll give it that. It has no story, no actual characters (one moment running away scared, the next shooting urban commandos in the chest), and yes, the acting really is worse than Hollywood movies, now you're just being petty.
2/5. A for effort, though.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Still Life said:
Duffeknol said:
'Cause we all know Hollywood never skirts around realism in the pursuit of entertainment, right?
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh. It's not the fact that it's silly in an unrealistic fun way, it's the fact that it's SO stupid it pulls you out of the film. The last time I saw something this lame was that scene of Anakin blowing up the droid ship in Episode I.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Duffeknol said:
Still Life said:
Duffeknol said:
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh. It's not the fact that it's silly in an unrealistic fun way, it's the fact that it's SO stupid it pulls you out of the film. The last time I saw something this lame was that scene of Anakin blowing up the droid ship in Episode I.
Maybe they learned Kung Fu?

:)

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Duffeknol said:
Varya said:
5 out of 5. Great stuff.
Cool effects, I'll give it that. It has no story, no actual characters (one moment running away scared, the next shooting urban commandos in the chest), and yes, the acting really is worse than Hollywood movies, now you're just being petty.
I don't know, maybe it's the wine, maybe it's the champagne, but I really felt this was more honest than a lot of movies I've seen. It was amateur, but it was... i don't know, good... real sci-fi. I'd rather see a full length version of this than Transformers 3... ok, that's not really a compliment.. but still

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
What's up with the sociopathic kids being ok with killing people for a piece of technology that they have no claim to? It's not like they were stealing it for the greater good.

Ah, well. Shiny effects, decent concept. If the kids had more reasonable motivation, I'd be apt to give it more credit, though.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
Still Life said:
Duffeknol said:
Still Life said:
Duffeknol said:
Maybe they learned Kung Fu?

:)
Loooool

Varya said:
Duffeknol said:
Varya said:
5 out of 5. Great stuff.
I don't know, maybe it's the wine, maybe it's the champagne, but I really felt this was more honest than a lot of movies I've seen. It was amateur, but it was... i don't know, good... real sci-fi. I'd rather see a full length version of this than Transformers 3... ok, that's not really a compliment.. but still
I gotta admit in the beginning I was pretty involved in it too. The acting might've been horrible but the shots were fine and the soundtrack actually really contributed to the atmosphere. Then the action began and, ironically, this made it worse.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
If that's bad acting then I guess good acting isn't different enough for the general public to take notice, shame some people won't be able to see past their own bias to really enjoy this awesome little short.

Great mix of atmosphere, visual effects, sound, and props really drew me in. I've been following Corridor Digital and FreddieW for awhile now, also awesome to see the guy from the "honk for Japan" video awhile ago.