Take-Two: Duke Nukem Forever Was Profitable

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
Take-Two: Duke Nukem Forever Was Profitable

Amidst a wave of damning criticism, Duke Nukem Forever was a financial success.

Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick announced yesterday that Duke Nukem Forever was profitable for the software publisher, in spite of largely negative criticism.

"Despite its disappointing reviews, Duke Nukem Forever was profitable for Take-Two," Zelnick said during a conference call.

Coupled with his previous statements regarding future (possibly non-videogame) plans for the franchise, it seems this womanizing, feces-flinging, potty-mouthed protagonist won't be laid to rest any time soon.

DNF spent over 14 years in development limbo, enduring engine swaps, team layoffs, a studio switch, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111475-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Will-Hurt-Take-Twos-Profits-Says-Analyst>analyst claims that the title would be financially unsuccessful. Gearbox Software, developer of Borderlands and the Brothers in Arms series, eventually took the game's reins and led it to completion.

It finally released in June, earning Metacritic scores near the 50 mark across all three platforms. Duke received a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8949-Duke-Nukem-Forever-Review>two-star review from The Escapist's own Russ Pitts, who stated "Duke Nukem Forever is a deeply flawed game that I would have stopped playing after five minutes were it not a requirement of my job to play longer."

Some games are indeed critic proof. Always bet on Duke.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36448/Duke_Nukem_Forever_Proved_Profitable_For_TakeTwo.php>Gamasutra

secretshadow90

Feb 10, 2009
So this...thing made money while awesome lesser known titles like Psychonauts and Child of Eden sit on the back shelf *twitch* *twitch* I don't understand anything anymore...

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
George Fatu said:
i am going to put a bullet in my head now because the world makes no sense
This reply literally made me cry with laughter.

Legendary.

And no, I didn't just incorrectly use "literally" instead of "figuratively".

OT: Yeah... What?

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Good, TakeTwo. You got lucky. Now do it right this time. No more making 3-5 different games and trying to frappe them together into indigestible goop. Here's [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1968-Viewers-Choice-Duke-Nukem-Forever] a few suggestions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3581-Duke-Nukem-Forever-for-real-this-time].

Imagine what a proper Duke Nukem sequel could do for you.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
How?

Really, how?

I waited patiently for years for this game and it was painful trying to play it. It's like i'd gone back to the 90's (which would have been excellent had it taken 14 years off my age aswell).

Herbsk

May 31, 2011
Dr. McD said:
Yes, because it got ten years of free advertizing, every one of those people who bought it is now regretting it.

secretshadow90 said:
So this...thing made money while awesome lesser known titles like Psychonauts and Child of Eden sit on the back shelf *twitch* *twitch* I don't understand anything anymore...
Quite simple really, DNF practically advertized itself while the lesser known games were that, lesser known.
I won't say that I regretted buying it....but I did get it at a really good discount - and I DO regret not getting Child of Eden first...

ModReap

Gatekeeper
Apr 3, 2008
secretshadow90 said:
Didn't you get the memo? Popular games sell, not good ones.

*cries in corner*

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
ModReap said:
secretshadow90 said:
Didn't you get the memo? Popular games sell, not good ones.

*cries in corner*
Fuck you Black Ops! FUCK YOU!!! >_<

OP: It was successful because it sold alot of copies before people realized it is shit.
Its probably the most returned game of the year...

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Funny. Considering in less then a month, this thing fell down to half price at my Wal Mart.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Of course it sold well.

Lots of advertising

Lots of Duke Fans

And who could resist buying a game that took 14 years to release?

As Joe put it, "even if a firecracker took 14 years to go off and it was a dud, people'd still wanna be there when it went off"

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
Well, this is just proof that obessive fanbrats will buy anything if it involves the thing they worship.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Goes to show that if you go to outright bash a game so harshly like most critics did, that might encourage viewers and readers to go in a state of disbelief and buy it to see for themselves.