Take-Two: Duke Nukem Forever Was Profitable

CronoT

May 15, 2010
The game was in development hell for over a decade, and there was STILL a rabid fanbase for it.

It could have been 90 minutes of Duke saying over and over "You just spent $60 on nothing! Now suck my c***!", and those people would have still bought it.

As for people like me, it's nice to get a game that isn't a half-baked Halo clone for an FPS game. The humor, however crass and inappropriate at times, was one of the things that made the game.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
cursedseishi said:
secretshadow90 said:
So this...thing made money while awesome lesser known titles like Psychonauts and Child of Eden sit on the back shelf *twitch* *twitch* I don't understand anything anymore...
Think of it this way. They probably paid jack shit to get the IP and finish it up. Therefor, even a tiny amount of sales probably paid it off and made it profitable for them.
Good point. Once people have paid, played, and returned that's still profit in the bank.

However, I imagine they got it so cheap they could have come out in the red on sales and still made a profit.

When I saw this my knee-jerk reaction was, "Take Two is lying." I can't believe it would be true.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
It was to be expected. I'd go as far as to say that it was a MASSIVE mistake for games like Child of Eden and Shadows of the Damned to come out *right* next to a game like DNF, whose main selling point was "Massive Trainwreck of a Game." That being said, I do think that DNF is fun, and I'm gonna wait out Child of Eden until I get a Kinect, and Shadows of the Damned until they release a demo or I borrow it from a friend or something.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I'm kind of happy that this is the case. Forever was a terrible game that made me feel empty inside but the Duke has potentiality and I'm sure if the series was given a total revamp by gearbox with pumped up goofiness, satire, nostalgia, and self-awareness; it might be something truly great.
I'm hoping that a sequel let's the king live up to the glory that has been untapped for so long.

mstickle

Sep 11, 2009
Unhappy Crow said:
The only people I see buying this game are mostly gamers that doesn't let reviewers tell them what game they shouldn't play. It's their choose whether the game is enjoyable or a waste of play time.

I'm still going to play this game once I fix my PS3. I'm afraid that my PC won't be able to handle it.
I just checked and the system requirements seem super low, I have a 2 year old PC and I'm far above the recommended requirements, Most stuff released this year I'm just over minimum.

That said, I still wouldn't advise buying it anyway.

Ghored

Mar 15, 2010
No. Please, if there's any right in the world, don't let this happen.

Or at the very least, make the next one something decent.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Good. I hope they make more Duke Nukem games. The world would be a sad place without Duke Nukem games. I don't want to lie in such a world. So bring on more Duke! Hail to the king, baby!

The game wasn't bad on PC. Reviewers were really unfair. And the latest patch made it even better.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
This is surprising to anyone? Sure, if I was to go rummaging through someone's dustbins for a half-eaten chicken, baste it with as much marinade as possible to cover up the teeth marks and then serve it to my guests as though it were a proper meal, it would cost me less than if I actually bought my own from the butchers. But the next time I invited people for dinner, I suspect they'd all politely decline.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Game reviewers give you what you want to read. It has been fun to pretend that blogs who spend the year posting thinly veiled commercials were valiantly fighting back the big bad PR guys at Take Two.