Origin Offers Gratis Games to Battlefield 3 Buyers

MitchyD

Feb 11, 2008

You're buying Battlefield 3 anyway, so why not pre-order through Origin and get a free game while you're at it?

If you've been reluctant to hop on the Origin bandwagon, maybe some free games will change your mind. EA is giving away Battlefield 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Xbox-360/dp/B00309U0M6/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1313430625&sr=1-1] buyers as a pre-order bonus. It's an "act now" sort of situation, though; the promotion ends August 31st.

Remember, Battlefield 3 won't see the light of day on Steam [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112129-EA-Confirms-No-Battlefield-3-on-Steam], so PC gamers planning to play the game don't really have a better option than succumbing to the seduction of Origin at this point. This is a smart move for EA. Limiting the release of one of the year's biggest games funnels buyers toward that particular digital distribution service. Restricting how and where someone can play your game is bound to set off more than a few fuses in the community, though. Maybe free games will help quell some rage.

The games on offer are a great bunch. Both Medal of Honor [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8629-Review-Dead-Space-2] is easily the weakest of the bunch, but BF developer DICE is responsible for its top-shelf multiplayer. This promotion ends just in time for EA to start up the multiplayer beta for BF3, access to which serves as another pre-order perk.

Battlefield 3 is available for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 on October 25th.

Source:Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/pre-order-battlefield-3-on-origin-get-a-free-game.ars]

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
I still want the Physical copy.
But for others who don't have those games. It is a nice deal.
I think.

Apr 28, 2008
Tigurus said:
I think.
Well, everyone pretty much already owns Mass Effect 2.

Medal of Honor is "meh" at best.

Dead Space 2 is decent, though not really that scary.

So... I guess? I mean, you do get 'em for free...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
BF3 not showing up on Steam and requiring an Origin client to play is just awful. I have half a mind to... OHMYGOD FREE GAMES GIMMIEGIMMEGIMME! All is forgiven.

Though I wasn't sure if I'd buy this game on release so I may pass on pre-ordering it. The only interesting title on offer to me is Mass Effect 2, and I already have it. 2 copies in fact (long story) BTW anyone want to swap a Steam copy of ME2 (or Saints Row 2) for a copy of "Bastion" or "From Dust"?

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
MitchyD said:
You're buying Battlefield 3 anyway, so why not pre-order through Origin and get a free game while you're at it?
Why? Because not even a free game (which, lets be honest, is going to be one of three or so crappy titles no one wants anyway) will get me to add yet another unique username/password combo to my word document password storage. I'm already on the border of the place where there's enough text to make a database worthwhile.

Edit: except for Mass Effect 2(which everyone has already anyway), I was right about the crappy titles no one wants. :)

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
Irridium said:
Tigurus said:
I think.
Well, everyone pretty much already owns Mass Effect 2.

Medal of Honor is "meh" at best.

Dead Space 2 is decent, though not really that scary.

So... I guess? I mean, you do get 'em for free...
Well, the fact that at least 2 games are decent or more can be enough and people love free games enough that I bet even Medal of Honor might be playable till BF3 is released. (I haven't played MoH though so I can't say if it is bad yes or no. (I did play the Beta though))

I would want Dead Space 2 but my love for physical copies gets the better of me...

Harlief

Jul 8, 2009
MitchyD said:
PC gamers planning to play the game don't really have a better option than succumbing to the seduction of Origin at this point. This is a smart move for EA. Limiting the release of one of the year's biggest games funnels buyers toward that particular digital distribution service.
Either that or it makes piracy easier to justify. Lots of PC gamers don't want Origin, to deny those people the opportunity to pay for BF3 if they don't want Origin is not what I'd call a "smart move" by EA! Whoever made this executive decision clearly just wants to throw their weight around and there are a lot of more constructive ways to do that which don't alienate sections of your fanbase.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
FINALLY, good EA marketing!
THIS is the reason for choosing Origin, not because you pulled it off Steam! Now put it back and we'll try to forget about this whole stupid thing.

Spookimitsu

Aug 7, 2008
intheweeds said:
MitchyD said:
Why? Because not even a free game (which, lets be honest, is going to be one of three or so crappy titles no one wants anyway) will get me to add yet another unique username/password combo to my word document password storage. I'm already on the border of the place where there's enough text to make a database worthwhile.

Edit: except for Mass Effect 2(which everyone has already anyway), I was right about the crappy titles no one wants. :)
actually those games arent too bad. A buddy let me borrow MoH, i found it more enjoyable than some other modern shooters (readies flame shield) DS2 was cool, also borrowed but never got all the unlockable treats, but I've never tried either Mass Effect (gets another flame shield)

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
TheGoldenMan said:
I'm still not going to buy it.
I don't think that origin was a smart idea on EA's part.
Do you use Steam? You're on a computer, on a video game website, so that answer should be obvious.

Why the resistance to competition?

Harlief said:
MitchyD said:
PC gamers planning to play the game don't really have a better option than succumbing to the seduction of Origin at this point. This is a smart move for EA. Limiting the release of one of the year's biggest games funnels buyers toward that particular digital distribution service.
Either that or it makes piracy easier to justify. Lots of PC gamers don't want Origin, to deny those people the opportunity to pay for BF3 if they don't want Origin is not what I'd call a "smart move" by EA! Whoever made this executive decision clearly just wants to throw their weight around and there are a lot of more constructive ways to do that which don't alienate sections of your fanbase.
I swear, everyone on this forum was born in late 2004. Because the gaming consciousness has forgotten the HL2, Steam thing. How is this different? At least BF3 has an online component. HL2 had nothing online, unless you got HL2DM, in which chase, what's wrong with you?

How is this alienating anyone? According to everything I've read, you only need to activate it to your Origin account, and you won't need Origin running to run BF3.

intheweeds

Apr 6, 2011
Spookimitsu said:
intheweeds said:
MitchyD said:

actually those games arent too bad. A buddy let me borrow MoH, i found it more enjoyable than some other modern shooters (readies flame shield) DS2 was cool, also borrowed but never got all the unlockable treats, but I've never tried either Mass Effect (gets another flame shield)
Maybe so. Perhaps i was a little unfair to the offered titles.

Still, Battlefield 3 needs to give me realistic orgasms before i give my personal info to yet another video game company. I just want to play my purchased games, not 'play corporate purchase games'.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Oh EA, you sneaky money grubbing jerks. I'm still getting this game retail. I have no intention of using Origin and a free game isn't enough to convince me otherwise.

Also, this would work better if they let you get any free game, not just a select few.

MitchyD

Feb 11, 2008
I just really want Battlefield 3, and at this point I've accepted I'll be dealing with Origin on PC. It bums me out, but hey, now I'll be bothered to play Medal of Honor.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
I can't see anything about this on the Origin homepage, probably an America only deal. Sigh.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
qwerty19411 said:
Here's a little excerpt from the last page on that thread:
Vrach said:
Andy Chalk said:
Quoted for notification.

I've just had word with EA's customer service. It seems this tweet was misinterpreted as they have confirmed that Battlefield 3 will NOT require Origin if a retail product is purchased.

Which makes sense tbh. Origin is a digital distribution platform, not a DRM service. We know as much from information about Star Wars: The Old Republic (can link to developer interactions about that too if you like)
So the retail version doesn't require Origin apparently, which means I'm still getting it at retail.