New Sony Netbook Costs a King's Ransom

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Sony Netbook Costs a King's Ransom

Thought the PSP Go was expensive? You ain't seen nothing yet.

When you think of netbooks, what comes to mind? For most people, the answer to that question is a small, low-powered portable computer that is above all else, cheap.

Sony have a slightly different answer though, with the Vaio P [http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644649998]. (It's the one on the far left) It's still small and it's pretty low-powered, but it's anything but cheap, in fact it costs two thousand dollars. That's right, two thousand dollars.

To be fair to Sony, that particular model is a special edition, and the regular Vaio P costs a more reasonable, although still not cheap, $1,000. Having looked at it, I can't quite see what makes the special edition model more special than the regular versions, but I'm sure Sony have a plan. Although, given what some of their recent plans have been like, it might not be a very good one, as a policy of releasing very expensive hardware in a recession doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Still, it makes the PSP Go seem quite reasonable.

Source: Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5303235/sony-finally-achieves-the-unholy-grail-a-2000-netbook]

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
First, the PS3, then the PSP Go, then THIS. A fucking NETBOOK. That should cost at least 300-400 bucks.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I have nothing to say about this but: BLAOAAUGH?!

I'm sure that reprisents my utter confusion, terror and shock at that price.

velcthulhu

Feb 14, 2009
When you think of Sony, what comes to mind? For most people, the answer to that question is not reasonable prices.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
What in heaven's name is the point of that? If you're spending two thousand dollars on a laptop, it's not going to be a lightweight netbook.

What the hell is wrong with Sony's marketing department? Do they really think they can turn a profit by selling shiny toys at premium prices in the middle of a bloody recession?

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
velcthulhu said:
When you think of Sony, what comes to mind? For most people, the answer to that question is not reasonable prices.
Unreasonable prices for slightly above-average goods.

I personally will not be purchasing, examining, testing, or thinking of this product. I might go broke just from reading this.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Ho there, might as well spend those two thousand dollars on a MacBook Pro or something proper instead. I mean, jeez. For a NETBOOK? Is anyone going to buy that?

Chartic

Nov 21, 2008
2000 dollars for a fucking computer!? This is just insane. Who would buy this? Who COULD buy this?

Macar

Jun 16, 2009
To be fair to Sony, that particular model is a special addition, and the regular Vaio P costs a more reasonable, although still not cheap, $1,000. Having looked at it, I can't quite see what makes the special edition model more special than the regular versions, but I'm sure Sony have a plan.
Not sure what's special about it but maybe it involves a "premium"...

Seriosly, I have nothing against Sony, but I'm wondering what they're thinking lately. Maybe it's all part of some sort of diabolical plan to throw us for a loop?

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
kukuku ^^ said:
Carbon Fiber Z model is over $4000 dollars o_O
It's also a real laptop, this is supposed to be a netbook. You know, a nearly disposable computer, made with low quality parts so the user can access the internet and write term papers on the go.

CustomMagnum

Mar 6, 2009

God, with SONY's pricing strategy lately, I'm hoping for the companies sake that they DON'T make a Playstation 4.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Depends what you get for 2000. For instance, it could dispense ketchup packets.

Internet Kraken said:
Guh?

2000 dollars for that?
Well done for effectively stating the thread.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
CustomMagnum said:

God, with SONY's pricing strategy lately, I'm hoping for the companies sake that they DON'T make a Playstation 4.
What? You don't want a console that costs a bajillion dollars and needs fluency in Sanskrit and Sumerian to programme for? Are you insane? :p