China Bans Gold Farming

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
China Bans Gold Farming

China has imposed a new law declaring that virtual currency can no longer be exchanged for real goods and services, a decision that will effectively ban the practice of gold farming.

The "virtual money trade" was worth several billion yuan last year [one billion yuan is worth $146 million], according to a statement by the Ministry of Commerce of the People's Republic of China [http://english.mofcom.gov.cn/aarticle/newsrelease/commonnews/200906/20090606364208.html], and has experienced an annual growth rate of roughly 20 percent.

"The virtual currency, which is converted into real money at a certain exchange rate, will only be allowed to trade in virtual goods and services provided by its issuer, not real goods and services," the Chinese government declared. The new rules also forbid the purchase of virtual currency by minors, while using it for gambling purposes is punishable by "public security authorities."

An estimated 80 to 85 percent of all gold farmers are based in China, generating revenues of $200 million to $1 billion annually, according to Richard Heeks of the University of Manchester [http://www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/idpm/research/publications/wp/di/di_wp32.htm]. And while most game companies have rules against it, the practice remains widespread.

Chinese "online industry expert" Cui Ran said the government was attempting to "nip illegal online activities in the bud" by implementing legislation while it was still practical to do so. Despite the large amounts of money involved, he said the volume of trading is still too small to affect the Chinese economy, but as the industry grew it would eventually begin to have an impact.

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/ebusiness/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=218101859]

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
But--but my Traveler's Tundra Mammoth!

:(

Edit: I feel the need to clarify that this is a joke. Just a strange feeling...

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Will this end the countless amount of spam and crappy adverts i see and receive every single day?!

And hats off to China for doing this, like my father told me "You want something, you have to earn it"

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
They didn't ban gold farming or gold selling, they banned gambling with it and forbid minors from buying it. They also prevented people from trading in game money for real world toys. Nothing in there about not buying or selling as an adult though.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Ranooth said:
And hats off to China for doing this, like my father told me "You want something, you have to earn it"
You earn money, which you trade for stuff. If trading money for goods isn't earning, by your (or your father's) logic, you would have had to build your own house, car, and dog in order to have earned them.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

If all else fails you can roll a level one Draenei woman and get gold that way?
I hear you can farm about 250 gold an hour that way, more if you're really good.
I can't believe I said that and I hate myself.

I sort of get the thought of an armed Policeman kicking down a door and discovering a room full of goldfarmers, yelling: "Your account has been suspended!" before opening fire.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Ranooth said:
Will this end the countless amount of spam and crappy adverts i see and receive every single day?!

Good point. I hope so, I'm sick of missing something someone's said to me because a massive block of spam has been syringed into general chat.

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
I've been thinking of getting back into WoW before it dies. This is one more thing that suggests that I should.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
AmrasCalmacil said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

If all else fails you can roll a level one Draenei woman and get gold that way?
I hear you can farm about 250 gold an hour that way, more if you're really good.
I can't believe I said that and I hate myself.

I sort of get the thought of an armed Policeman kicking down a door and discovering a room full of goldfarmers, yelling: "Your account has been suspended!" before opening fire.
That's nightelves, no one wants face tentacles or the tail.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Lamppenkeyboard said:
I've been thinking of getting back into WoW before it dies. This is one more thing that suggests that I should.
You're 2 expansions too late then.

There's something just not right with the phrase "virtual money trade" - I just cant see it as a company or something.. it's just too bizare a business. Physical, valuable money for imaginary money in a game.. good trade...

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
AmrasCalmacil said:
Thats blizzard's plan for 2010, they're legal teams have already given them the right to storm houses of anyone who violates the terms of uses agreement and terminate them, they're just working on hiring the armed goons now.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
But, now wows economy will screech to a halt. Don't they realise what they've done! It will go into a depression not seen since the 1930's. (Note, I only use that as an example because I can't think of any major depressions in WOW's history.)

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
savandicus said:
Thats blizzard's plan for 2010, they're legal teams have already given them the right to storm houses of anyone who violates the terms of uses agreement and terminate them, they're just working on hiring the armed goons now.
I can see it now, Chris Metzen in full swat gear wielding two custom made, actual factual Banhammers storming into people's houses and screaming "PERMA-BAN!!".

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
Aww, I like stealing the mined resources from the Chinese farmers in Eve. The guard ship opens fire on me, I destroy it with my better ship/skills.... It's a fun game.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
HOOOOOORAY!

Now wow wont be spammed by goldfarmers ALL DAMN DAY.

Of course, Im not sure why im celebrating, I gave up WoW 4 months ago