China Bans Gold Farming

clem

Mar 23, 2009
I'm interested in finding out how the state plans to enforce this.

I just don't see this having a huge impact anytime soon, because it seems very easy to duck if you're a gold seller.

I think it's still up to the game manufacturers to provide the most effective means of preventing spam and killing seller accounts.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
YES!!! YES!!! YES YES YES YES YESYESYESYESYESYES YEEEEEESSS!!!

*parties until the break of dawn*

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
asinann said:
They didn't ban gold farming or gold selling, they banned gambling with it and forbid minors from buying it. They also prevented people from trading in game money for real world toys. Nothing in there about not buying or selling as an adult though.
article said:
"The virtual currency, which is converted into real money at a certain exchange rate, will only be allowed to trade in virtual goods and services provided by its issuer, not real goods and services,"
Virtual currency is now only exchangeable for virtual goods, not real goods/services. IE you can't exchange WoW gold for real money.

Hats off to china, the censorship actually hit onto something useful for once.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Link Kadeshi said:
Aww, I like stealing the mined resources from the Chinese farmers in Eve. The guard ship opens fire on me, I destroy it with my better ship/skills.... It's a fun game.
I know someone who would do this to the farmers in WoW, but your right, it IS funny.

This will reduce spam for a little while, but now people outside of China will be able to move in and start the spamming all over again.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
guardian001 said:
asinann said:
They didn't ban gold farming or gold selling, they banned gambling with it and forbid minors from buying it. They also prevented people from trading in game money for real world toys. Nothing in there about not buying or selling as an adult though.
article said:
"The virtual currency, which is converted into real money at a certain exchange rate, will only be allowed to trade in virtual goods and services provided by its issuer, not real goods and services,"
Virtual currency is now only exchangeable for virtual goods, not real goods/services. IE you can't exchange WoW gold for real money.

Hats off to china, the censorship actually hit onto something useful for once.
Notice how it said "which is coverted into real money at a certain exchange rate"?

That means it can still be bought and sold, but can only be used after purchase for things in game. Otherwise the companies that sell their own currency wouldn't be able to sell their own currency any more either. They aren't going to kill a multi-billion dollar industry just because a few corporations ask them to, it's bloody China. The country that just told the largest computer manufacturers in the world that the Chinese firewall will come pre-installed or they can't be sold there, and stuck to it.

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
asinann said:
guardian001 said:
Notice how it said "which is coverted into real money at a certain exchange rate"?

That means it can still be bought and sold, but can only be used after purchase for things in game. Otherwise the companies that sell their own currency wouldn't be able to sell their own currency any more either. They aren't going to kill a multi-billion dollar industry just because a few corporations ask them to, it's bloody China. The country that just told the largest computer manufacturers in the world that the Chinese firewall will come pre-installed or they can't be sold there, and stuck to it.
That refers to currently. it is being converted at an exchange rate, this will stop that exchange rate.

Before:
X fake $ = Y Real $
Gold farming = profitable

After:
Infinite fake $ = 0 real $
Gold farming = gone

The only reason the government of China is doing this is so that Virtual currency will not be exchangeable for Real currency. They are stopping the exchange rate. The virtual currency will be redeemable for virtual goods provided by the company who controls the virtual currency, but will not be redeemable for Actual money by outside corporations.

The company controlling the currency may (not sure about this) still be able to exchange it for real money, but outside corporations (the gold farmers) will not.

So it ends gold farming. See how that works?

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
guardian001 said:
asinann said:
guardian001 said:

That refers to currently. it is being converted at an exchange rate, this will stop that exchange rate.

Before:
X fake $ = Y Real $
Gold farming = profitable

After:
Infinite fake $ = 0 real $
Gold farming = gone

The only reason the government of China is doing this is so that Virtual currency will not be exchangeable for Real currency. They are stopping the exchange rate. The virtual currency will be redeemable for virtual goods provided by the company who controls the virtual currency, but will not be redeemable for Actual money by outside corporations.

The company controlling the currency may (not sure about this) still be able to exchange it for real money, but outside corporations (the gold farmers) will not.

So it ends gold farming. See how that works?
Except that the law doesn't make any mention of current rates of exchange, just a rate of exchange.
And again, the government of China isn't going to kill a multi-billion dollar industry based mostly in their own country.
Gold farming = low overhead high profit business.
It will continue, most likely IN China.

And even if they do (and they won't,) the gold farming will move to Vietnam, or Korea, or India, or Pakistan, or any other third world country that has some kind of internet connection and a desire for cash coming into the country.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
China just earned some serious internet cookies.

Faction changes and no more gold sellers.... My god I may just start playing WoW again.