The Witcher 2 Gets Witchier With an Upcoming Update

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The Witcher 2 Gets Witchier With an Upcoming Update

Witcher 2 developers CD Projekt continue to set a great example of how to support and update a release with a glut of improvements for their flagship title.

Going live on September 29th, the upcoming update for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings [http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-2-Assassins-Kings-Pc/dp/B003VJNPPE] upgrades the game to version 2.0, includes over 40 under-the-hood tweaks and adds a few very welcome features.

The biggest improvement, at least on paper, is the addition of a proper tutorial. Many players struggled with the opening segments of the game, which see albino-playboy-cum-monster-hunter Geralt taking part in a series of increasingly frantic battles, culminating in a mano-a-garra slugging match with a dragon the size of jumbo jet. This, you understand, was the tutorial. After the update, players will get to perform a few perfunctory quests in a remote village in the forest before the story begins, allowing them to get to grips with the game's controls without the constant threat of fiery death.

Now for those who are actually quite fond of fiery death, the update also adds a much-more difficult "Dark Mode." As well as sounding kind of rad, Dark Mode adds various darkness themed goodies, including three sets of armor, three new swords and new quests. The mode is apparently going to be so difficult that CD Projekt is offering a mystery (thus far) prize to the first sap with enough free time and determination to beat it.

Finally there's the Arena Mode. A separate experience from the main campaign, it sees Geralt, and a number of mercenaries, fighting a parade of monsters for the enjoyment of a bloodthirsty audience. The battles are timed, and the crowd will respond to your performance, cheering for quick and gruesome kills, or chucking various rotten vegetables at you if you're a bit crap.

The update is free for current Witcher 2 owners and will be applied automatically when you start up the game on the 29th. New players will be able to pick up a boxed version of the game, complete with the 2.0 updates for a new reduced price. The upcoming 360 "adaptation" will also feature the 2.0 content.

While the free updates are certainly welcome, I can't help but feel sorry for those who've already battled their way through the now antiquated versions of The Witcher 2. Luckily, I never got very far in the game because I couldn't get past the bloody dragon I was busy with other, great titles.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-22-witcher-2-2-0-dated-and-detailed]

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
It's a shame really, I want to play this game, it seems really good, but this is the kind of game that I'd transfer my save from, and the first game was kind of... well, shit.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I really hope one of the under the hood fixes is the targeting system. I really really hope that's fixed.

UltraDolphins

May 20, 2011
This is a nice little treat to those who didn't get in the Diablo 3 beta and are looking for some rpg action

Apr 28, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
It's a shame really, I want to play this game, it seems really good, but this is the kind of game that I'd transfer my save from, and the first game was kind of... well, shit.
You're save really doesn't do much. At most it adds a couple items to your inventory at start and changes a bit of dialog in side missions.

OT: Sweetness. Wonder if there's some stuff to help with performance. Granted it's already decently optimized, but optimizing a bit more couldn't hurt.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Already finished it 3 times but i'm incredibly tempted with that 'Dark Mode'.

Might be worth going through it again for more challenges and new stuff.

Sep 13, 2010
I will play this game when we get a 360 version, if I try to run this bad boy on my cute little web browsing laptop it just might blow up.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Irridium said:
hazabaza1 said:
You're save really doesn't do much. At most it adds a couple items to your inventory at start and changes a bit of dialog in side missions.
Huh. I would've expected a lot more changes.
I'll probably just download a save file that suits me if it's not that important. Thanks.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Yes! Having just finished the first one (finally), this is great news. Really glad, they're dropping the price, too. Now to just convince my wife that the expense it worth it...

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Yeah I got an e-mail about this. But is it free? I do want to play this game over again, it really has that re-play value to it. And the new hopefully free goodies will make it more interesting.

I'm not too excited about the tutorial, I like the old school way of having a game manual and then it expects you to read it, like The Witcher 2 is your lectuer and then you don't read it and fail miserably, I like that.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
This game is amazing, can't wait for the arena. Def in my top 3 games ever.

Might actually see if I can win against Dark Mode, but I know I'll die SO fast.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Valagetti said:
Yeah I got an e-mail about this. But is it free? I do want to play this game over again, it really has that re-play value to it. And the new hopefully free goodies will make it more interesting.

I'm not too excited about the tutorial, I like the old school way of having a game manual and then it expects you to read it, like The Witcher 2 is your lectuer and then you don't read it and fail miserably, I like that.
Yes, it's gonna be free. Just fire up your game on the 29th of this month and watch it update (or read a book while you wait).

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I almost pee'd my pants when I saw the news at GoG. They're also reducing the price to $40.

For anyone (myself included) that haven't got the game yet, this is the perfect opportunity to do so.