New Modern Warfare 3 Screens Bring the Grey

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Modern Warfare 3 Screens Bring the Grey

If you're a fan of grey streets and running, these new Modern Warfare 3 screens will make you very happy indeed.

Activision has released a trio of new screen shots that has done the seemingly impossible: made a game about World War 3 look kind of dull. The screens, which appeared on the official Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00503E8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317723907&sr=8-1 ] Facebook page [https://www.facebook.com/mw3], actually have very little going on.

[gallery=498]

As you can see for yourself, the screenshots are taken from the New York portion of the game and they have a certain narrative arc about them. Unfortunately, the story they tell seems to be "we ran down a grey street and then shot at a guy you can barely make out." While I'm sure it's very exciting in the game, it rather loses something when chopped into static images.

What's amazing how pedestrian these screens are; in a game that features massive set piece battles and spectacles, three shots of fairly bog-standard Call of Duty gameplay seems like a waste. Everything looks pretty enough, but I would have preferred to have seen something a little fresher.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: One of Swords [http://oneofswords.com/2011/10/three-new-mw3-screens-on-facebook]

rohansoldier

Sep 5, 2011
Yet another grey world war 1/2/3 military shooter? Yawn.

I know this game will sell by the bucketloads upon release, but it looks dull and uninspiring to me (whilst being undeniably great graphics) and I for one will not be buying it.

Each to their own though, I guess.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Well, all the enthusiasm I had for voting with my wallet against Battlefield 3 and Origin just went down the drain. I think I'll be voting for Skyward Sword instead.

markisb

May 31, 2010
i have never seen a game so grey.

on a lighter note they have finally gotten rid of that brown people have been complaining about.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
At least Battlefield 3 has Some live foliage... At the start at least

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Necromancer Jim said:
Look at all of those different greys!

LET'S COUNT THEM, CHILDREN.
They even managed to put 'greyge' in there, I think.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
You know what, I think I prefer last gen graphics.

At least they had SOME colour to them, seriously this is sad.

Haxxle

Jan 14, 2011
So, MW3, I heard you got more greys. Well, we at DICe and EA have implemented plant life and some variation of colours...but I'd stay away from the bushes if I were you.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
People are being very unfair here. These screenshots totally have colour other than grey; if you look in the bottom left corner of the first screenshot, there's a damaged traffic light that's green.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
Ed130 said:

Thats the thing... These ARE last gen graphics, At least from a PC perspective, but even then, the Hardware on consoles is pretty outdated. CoD's Graphics and the graphics of many games that are released these days have actually improved very little graphically.

I don't mean to be a Dick, at elitist as that sounds, but I just want to clear that up with people.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The thing I hate the most about CoD games? See that last image where you can see far down the street? It would be awesome to go exploring in such a world. Maybe shoot down a couple of blocks and flank the enemy. This could be an awesome map. But, it's all a lie. You will come across a waste high pile of garbage you cannot pass and are forced down an alley that will be filled with enemies, yada yada yada.

But, the character models do look pretty good. Also, not that I am a huge fan of greys or anything, but if you have ever been to NYC on a cloudy day, it is pretty damn grey.... though there are lots of other colors still. Why do devs always think concrete buildings are grey? It's simply not true at all. And they are certainly not a single shade of grey. It's like they live in a vacuum.

leet_x1337 said:
Well, all the enthusiasm I had for voting with my wallet against Battlefield 3 and Origin just went down the drain. I think I'll be voting for Skyward Sword instead.
Booyah! I'm with you on this. 50 hours they say, that is a hefty Zelda game. Definitely time to dust off the old Wii.

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
markisb said:
i have never seen a game so grey.

on a lighter note they have finally gotten rid of that brown people have been complaining about.
But now we can complain that they chose grey instead of brown!

Brown is way prettier than grey..

-
Never been a COD fan, but have been playing FPS's since CS 1.3 and i must say.. Im really being thrown off most of these new shooters..
They all look so much alike.. More than they have before anyway..

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
How do they manage to make the game look less and less entertaining with every screenshot and video?

Lambchops

Mar 18, 2010
WOAH GUYS.
There's some green in the left side of the first picture.
Totally counts.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
It's nice to see that we like to judge a game by three screenshots taken in the same area of the game...

Here in the city where I am, when I look out the window, do you know what I see? Grey.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
5t3v0 said:
Ed130 said:

Thats the thing... These ARE last gen graphics, At least from a PC perspective, but even then, the Hardware on consoles is pretty outdated. CoD's Graphics and the graphics of many games that are released these days have actually improved very little graphically.

I don't mean to be a Dick, at elitist as that sounds, but I just want to clear that up with people.
I didn't specify which generation, but I guess I should.

I was thinking about Neverwinter Nights by Bioware.

REcaptcha: harqua Avenue,

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
I've never bought any of the CoD games but I think I'm especially disinterested in this one.

So much grey you could have a donkey in there and no one would be able to see it.
I can see a greynbow. With grey and grey and grey and grey.