Console Minecraft Exclusive to Xbox 360

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Console Minecraft Exclusive to Xbox 360

Notch said that PS3 and Wii owners won't be able to play Minecraft, unless they have a computer.

Markus Persson - the creator of Minecraft more commonly known as Notch - announced that his viral PC game would be coming to consoles this past E3. The nuts-and-bolts of adapting the controls to a gamepad aside, the proposition of Minecraft entering people's living rooms was an exciting one. Unfortunately for people who own two of the three major consoles though, Notch said via Twitter that Minecraft will be exclusive to the Xbox 360 and it releases in Spring 2012.

"Minecraft on consoles is Xbox 360 exclusive!," said Notch [http://twitter.com/#%21/notch/status/128564849809694720] before outing Microsoft's producer for the project. "@newbreedofnerd [Stuart Platt] is (one of) our producer(s). Feel free to ask him about the Xbox version. ;D"

While gamers with just a PS3 or a Wii are out of luck, I think Microsoft's console is the best fit for Minecraft honestly. There hasn't been much official talk of it yet other than it is happening, but I can't wait to see how Minecraft takes advantage of the Kinect interface.

The marriage of two of the most exciting user-based movements in the last few years - Minecraft construction projects and Kinect hacks - can only end in awesome.

Source: Twitter [http://twitter.com/#%21/notch/status/128564849809694720]

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
That's a weird decision.
This game seems like more of something that the ps crowd would enjoy more than the xbx crowd. I didn't really imagine it being a console exclusive to begin with to tell you the truth.

My big question is: are they finally going to release the actual game or did he just run out of pc gamers to sell the beta to.

I still can't believe people buy betas now.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
That's a weird decision.
This game seems like more of something that the ps crowd would enjoy more than the xbx crowd. I didn't really imagine it being a console exclusive to begin with to tell you the truth.

My big question is: are they finally going to release the actual game or did he just run out of pc gamers to sell the beta to.

Its actually beinf released on 11/11/11

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
I still want to know how the hell Kinect is going to work with this thing.

I mean, how am I supposed to walk?

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
imnotparanoid said:
What?! They can't do that! That's when Skyrim comes out, people will get confused!/sarcasm

I can actually see this game working on the Wii. I don't know if it would be able to handle it or not though.

TheLoveableMuffin

Jun 11, 2011
I'm happy it'll be on Xbox 360...but in all fairness surely the PC version will be Notch's priority in terms of updating.

SirAroun

Apr 27, 2011
LobsterFeng said:
imnotparanoid said:
What?! They can't do that! That's when Skyrim comes out, people will get confused!/sarcasm

I can actually see this game working on the Wii. I don't know if it would be able to handle it or not though.
It is come out 11/18-20/11 not 11/11/11

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
LobsterFeng said:
imnotparanoid said:
Hah.. i get it :)

OT: Aw Notch i thought you were cool. I really dont see the point of this exclusivity, does he think he already has too much money and doesnt want the ps3/wii crowds to throw more cash at him?

SirAroun

Apr 27, 2011
GonzoGamer said:
That's a weird decision.

to be fair notch set it up so the earlyer up buy the less it is. Ex. I picked the game up in the right befor beta came out less then $15, when it is finished it will cost around $25 or more.

tjoris9

Nov 25, 2008
GonzoGamer said:
That's a weird decision.

People who bought the beta (at a significant discount over the final version) get all the updates and the final version free if I understand correctly.

Speaking of which, will it mean that I have to buy it again to play it on X-Box?

I actually think video recording and uploading to Youtube would be a pretty big selling point. I've played PS3 games that do that, but I'm not sure if X-Box even would allow such an arrangement.

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
Escapist, why you release news from months ago as if its new, it was announced as an exclusive when it was announced at e3.

Kielgasten

Oct 12, 2009
Ilikemilkshake said:
LobsterFeng said:
imnotparanoid said:
Hah.. i get it :)

OT: Aw Notch i thought you were cool. I really dont see the point of this exclusivity, does he think he already has too much money and doesnt want the ps3/wii crowds to throw more cash at him?
If I was a betting man, I would bet that the reason for this "exclusivity" (which it really isn´t because it is also on PC) has more to do with the ease of which you can convert PC code into Xbox code, than a desire to leave some platforms out.

But then again, maybe Microsoft just sent a massive truck filled with money his way...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
tjoris9 said:
GonzoGamer said:
That's a weird decision.

People who bought the beta (at a significant discount over the final version) get all the updates and the final version free if I understand correctly.

Speaking of which, will it mean that I have to buy it again to play it on X-Box?

I actually think video recording and uploading to Youtube would be a pretty big selling point. I've played PS3 games that do that, but I'm not sure if X-Box even would allow such an arrangement.
I think anyone wo would want to do that would probably just get it for the pc. I don't think the 360 is capable and I can only think of 2 games that devs bothered to work that feature into on the ps3.
I would imagine the xbox version will be a seperate purchase.
That's good to get a discount but at this point I'd rather just pay a little extra for a complete game. I'll give him credit for at least making sure people knew it was a beta.

Bethesda sells their beta versions for $60 and tries to tell everyone it's the finished game.

Mar 5, 2011
This is probably a 360 exclusive due to porting difficulties. I hear the Xbox's Xenon takes to porting PC games better then PS3's Cell.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Eh, I can see why. if nothing else, just cause of the intraoffice relationship betwen PC and 360 is an easier thing than going to a PS3/Wii. though I dont see this staying exclusive. Much like DMC, this will (at a later date) get moved to the PS3. I dont see much reason why you wouldnt really.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Money well spent Microsoft, well sold out Notch.

Works good for me - multiplayer games I mainly get on the Box and Minecraft is very much pointless alone (in my opinion) so couldn't be better.